SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    buy a P230/P232 today???
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

buy a P230/P232 today??? Login/Join 
Picture of SiGagain
posted
would you buy a P230/P232 today???...perhaps large for it's caliber, a seemingly minor caliber and a somewhat snappy shooting pistol due to the blowback design...

I have several 9mm pistols that fit the size envelope but the elegant P230/P232 still calls to me...I've owned two in the last 30 years and sold both because I thought I was undergunned when carrying them or that I could be carrying a larger caliber but...

anything you care to share would be appreciated

Bill

Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer*P220*P226*P228*P230*P245*SPC2009*P365

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership

Posts: 2410 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I would be very tempted to add a second to my collection, but it would have to be a great deal. I purchased my P232 Two Tone new in Germany for $350 (USD) at the Kaiserslautern Rod & Gun Club in 2000. I think the 230/232 is one of the most beautiful designs, with its sleek flowing lines.

So, yeah, if the right one presented itself I might very well buy another.

If you find a good deal on one, you should go ahead and get it. Wink

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Yes, I would buy one today. I have smaller 380s and smaller 9mm pistols for everyday carry. The P230/P232 is a very comfortable carry gun that just fits my hand. I find it very easy to shoot accurately and fast. If I had to carry one of them, I would be fine doing so.

Every pistol caliber is under powered for self defense, but I still wouldn’t want to get shot by any of them. I think having the ability to hit precisely and quickly is more important than caliber within reason of course.

Posts: 2930 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
If you have the spare cash and it is a decent deal then yes..
Personally I think it is the gun James Bond should have carried if they were going to issue him a .380 to replace the 25 caliber Berreta he had been carrying.... from my perspective a P230/232 has a lot more sex appeal than the Walther...
it is funny that I see a lot of PPKs on TV.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
At one time I owned one of each, both all stainless steel. The P230 was an especially beautiful example of the industrial arts. I got them out of my system, however, so I would not buy one again. My S&W Shield 380 EZ is far more comfortable to shoot.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have bought a P230 relatively recently (3 years ago?). Recently enough that the current better offering existed (except maybe the P365).

I bought it because it always had me with its looks. I never buy for form; always function. The P230 was my exception to that. I bought it purely to gaze longingly at and only shoot at the range. There is no practical role that couldn’t be done by a smaller, lighter, larger caliber, maybe even higher capacity, more modern pistol. Just none of those look as nice as an all stainless P230.

In case you don’t know what I’m talking about:

Ooh sorry about the big pics, don’t usually resize that big. And I can’t change to my knowledge...don’t have the originals anymore and they resize on upload. Oh just deal with it!

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
U bought one a year ago, only for nostalgic reasons. Mom was selling hers (guns now bad) and it was the first ever SIG I shot and was on long term loan in my early twenties. Sadly I've owned my 230 for a year almost and haven't bought any .380 yet. I will likely keep it and just not shoot it much, it's not got a lot of use anymore, other than being sexy as hell.

Mom has started to realize that being without a gun isn't the safest thing in the world, I may just do a long term loan back to her.

Really long answer to say, no I wouldn't except for my past with them.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20754 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I own the P230SL and P230JP. They are safe queens and rarely if ever get shot. I don't use them for carry or self defense. So there's that.

They are kept only for display in my personal Sig Library as reference pieces.

Great sex appeal, balance, trigger, and not based on 1930's technology like the PPK. Razz

Yeah, I'd hit it today. They are keepers.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
would you buy a P230/P232 today???

The P230/232 have never tickled my fancy. So, no.

Q

Posts: 26199 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If I could find one at a deep discounted price, I’d strongly consider an all stainless 232. The only real concern would be parts availability.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15499 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
thanks again guys

Bill

Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer*P220*P226*P228*P230*P245*SPC2009*P365

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership

Posts: 2410 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would if the price was right. Of all the .380 guns I have owned, my 230 performed the best. The only comparable was the Beretta.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16001 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Hell yeah, get it.

Said it many times before, it’s my one gun I’d never sell.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Yeah, there is a stainless 232 in my future.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P232? Ladies' gun ...

Kidding -- I'm kidding! P232 is for everybody! I think it would have been the perfect Bond gun after the PPK if Walther wasn't in there so solid with the product-placement bucks.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
Yes, I would buy one today. I have smaller 380s and smaller 9mm pistols for everyday carry. The P230/P232 is a very comfortable carry gun that just fits my hand. I find it very easy to shoot accurately and fast. If I had to carry one of them, I would be fine doing so.

Every pistol caliber is under powered for self defense, but I still wouldn’t want to get shot by any of them. I think having the ability to hit precisely and quickly is more important than caliber within reason of course.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well said

Posts: 435 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Kind of like a Porsche Boxster .... supposed to be a girly car/gun but once you drive one... DAMN!

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a West german Stainless P230 with hogue checkered grips. To me the prettiest pistol in the Sig Fleet. One of the best point and shoot pistols out there. Definitely a special occasion carry pistol and one of the last pistols I would ever part with.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting to see the comment about the K-town Rod & Gun Club. I bought two at the old Heidelberg club in the late 90’s. The price sticker on one box is $349. I haven’t fired them in ages but I very regularly carry a SIG .380 - the 238. I would gladly pick another up if I found it – SIG will never again make such a well-made and nicely finished small DA pistol. The P290 is an abomination in comparison.

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Not to mention Katya's PPK/S from "Die Hard with a Vengeance"

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post