SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Hiking/Backpacking gun: does anything beat the Glock 20?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hiking/Backpacking gun: does anything beat the Glock 20? Login/Join 
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
A Glock 20 gen 4 would make an excellent hiking gun. Load it with Underwood ammo and you will be fine.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In CA, I would argue your Dept G22 is sufficient as I would worry more about people with ill intent than an animal attack. You are trained and familiar with your G22 and it offers sufficient capacity. However, if you are looking for an excuse to buy a new pistol, the G20 is an awesome pistol, go for it.

Posts: 62 | Registered: April 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just back from a hiking trip in the Shenandoah mountains of Va. So, bears? Yeah, lots of sightings, but zero encounters. Lions? Maybe but never saw one. Now on the other hand, lots of "woods weirdos". Like the guy backpacking the AT naked, except for his pack and hat. Nice.
I had my P365 with a spare. Figured the 2 legged variety was my biggest threat.

Posts: 269 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now on the other hand, lots of "woods weirdos". Like the guy backpacking the AT naked, except for his pack and hat.

The ticks love him.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input, everybody. If I can make do with a currently owned firearm, that'd be best I think. While I wouldn't mind buying another gun, a Glock wouldn't be my first choice if you set aside this application. If the department's Glock 22 will get the job done, then that sounds like a good idea. Im hesitant on revolvers as I've had extremely limited experience with them.

On the other hand, I've done substantial training with an auto and am confident on my ability to put rounds on target in most situations, including movement.

If I go with the Glock 22, what ammo should I look at? Our duty round is the Hornady Critical Duty. I'm assuming that while that is probably an ok choice, there is likely something better offered by Underwood or Buffalo Bore?

quote:
Originally posted by tcop143:
Out of curiosity, were you up by Kennedy Meadows? Love that place.

Negative, wasn't that far up 108. This trip started with a visit to a very small lake about 2 miles (as the crow flies) south of Pinecrest off of Crabtree Road and then went a bit farther south from there along some forest service roads.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Just carry a glock 34 with buffalo bore outdoorsman 147 grain +p hardcast. That round will penetrate enough for any big game (I believe a guy just killed a grizzly in Alaska with a p938 with that round). Shot placement, penetration, follow up hits, all better with that round and that platform

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A good choice, but I'd prefer a .44 magnum if there are dangerous animals about.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Underwood makes some good stuff for fo-tay. It is my EDC load in my P250.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Yes, the big cats are true ninjas, and the Griz is to be respected, but what you really need to protect yourself from is the Moose.

I once was told Moose trampling kills more than the cats and Griz combined. They say "respect the bears, but run from the Moose."

Moose's (Moosesses? Meese?) are enormous creatures. Your not got to fell a Moose with you G22. The G20 would be the very least firepower I would carry.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try the xtreme penetrators underwood and probably some other companies load them for your .40.
Also consider the HK USP 45, it's rated for 45 Super without modification and has a number of variations on the trigger/hammer mechanism.

Posts: 34 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
For defense of 2 and 4 legged trouble not including Grizzles, that can be concealed and not too heavy the Glock 29 is hard to beat.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1530 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the Glock 20 as a woods fun and its what I carry 80% of the time here in Alaska, I use a gunfighters inc chest holdternand I can forget I have it there, I used a KKM barre and keep it loaded with Underwood Ammo 220g hardcasts.

When I’m not using that I have a Ruger redhawk but I usually opt for the Glock, especially when out on my jet boat or my pack raft I love the g20, in fact I have 3 of them, 2 gen4 and an older gen3. Both of the gen4 pistols have about 1500 trouble free rounds of practice Ammo through them and a hundred or so of the 220g hardcasts to make sure they work properly. The gen3 is showing it’s age but still hasn’t skipped a beat.

I have a g29 as well but it dosent go out much these days. The thing I like the best about the g20 vs my 44 is that anytime I ahoot any of my flocks I’m basically practicing the same thing as my g20. Hard and expensive to put 1500 rounds through a 44mag....I sure haven’t done it.

The nice thing about the 44 mag is that I can load it with 360g hardcasts....

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m over the hill from you here in Livermore.
I’ve been hiking and camping and exploring 4wd forest roads along the 108 and 120 corridors multiple nights per summer and fall between hiway s 49 and 395 my entire life. I have only ever seen 1 black bear and that was during the bad drought years just rolling through the campground at pinecrest. Even all the primitive camp sites up and over the hill never saw a bear. Saw some sign and damage cause by bears though. Never saw a mountain lion either. Seen a LOT Of weirdo humans and had a-holes screaming through campgrounds in the midddle of the night stereo blasting and loud cars etc. I think a g22 properly loaded would be sufficient. Of course an excuse to buy a new gun is always fun. I usually take a sig229 40 or a 4 inch model 19 smith 357 when camping and a browning buck mark is usually in the truck for plinking if the opportunity arises. Also keep in mind anybody else who may need to shoot that gun. Wife or kids may not be able to handle the 10mm as easily as something else.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm not a Glock guy, and so my woods gun of choice is a .44 mag revolver.

However, if I were to carry a Glock in the woods, it would be a Glock 40 in a chest rig. I'd go with the extra inch of barrel for sight radius and velocity. Here in Florida, I am allowed to open carry when camping, so concealment isn't an issue for me. If it were, I would stick with the Glock 20. You can't go wrong with either one, but for a dedicated gun, I'd go with the longer barrel.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
I’m over the hill from you here in Livermore.
I’ve been hiking and camping and exploring 4wd forest roads along the 108 and 120 corridors multiple nights per summer and fall between hiway s 49 and 395 my entire life. I have only ever seen 1 black bear and that was during the bad drought years just rolling through the campground at pinecrest. Even all the primitive camp sites up and over the hill never saw a bear. Saw some sign and damage cause by bears though. Never saw a mountain lion either. Seen a LOT Of weirdo humans and had a-holes screaming through campgrounds in the midddle of the night stereo blasting and loud cars etc. I think a g22 properly loaded would be sufficient. Of course an excuse to buy a new gun is always fun. I usually take a sig229 40 or a 4 inch model 19 smith 357 when camping and a browning buck mark is usually in the truck for plinking if the opportunity arises. Also keep in mind anybody else who may need to shoot that gun. Wife or kids may not be able to handle the 10mm as easily as something else.

I spent a lot of time in the Pinecrest area every summer since I was a wee little lad as well and have seen bears directly I think three times and one lion, but that was down at Melones. They are certainly there, and while I don't "worry worry", a little due diligence is prudence. I know 2 different people who live in Twain Harte and they both have seen (via game cameras at their houses) both bear and mountain lions this summer. It seems a bit more common in the last couple years.

After reviewing the posts here a few times I am coming around to the idea of just using the G22 with an appropriate ammo. I don't buy many guns (only have 4 pistols), and a 10mm Glock would certainly not be on the list if it were not for this use. If the Glock 22 gets it done, it's probably the most responsible decision.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
I wrote a story some years ago about my family trip to Yellowstone. Short version: we did all kinds of bear prep including using the excuse to buy a 4" 629. We never saw a bear but were chased by an elk at one of the gift shop parking lots with hundreds of people around.

A lot of really experienced people say smaller calibers work fine in defense of bears. Looking at the antlered monster up close, I would want something with more of a boom than a pop.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Okay, I'll turn it around since this is The Sig forum!

Sig 220 and if you have to have 10MM:

Damn that's going to cost me like $3k in California, but I want one. I was kicking around the idea of picking up a Glock 20 as well, I just don't think I NEED one over my P226 .40 yet.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2433 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
Having the G22 (with good "outdoors" ammo) is a good plan, but if you decide to go with 10mm, you could also take a look at the new Springfield XD-M 10mm 15+1 pistol. It's the same price range as the G20.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Took a family road trip over the hill today stopped for some fresh fruit at some roadside stands, to the cheese factory in Oakdale for some curd. Then Stopped for a lunch at the new “wildfire public house“ on Oakdale rd in Modesto. Not bad food.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Any .357 Magnum, .44 special/magnum, or .40SW pistol or larger is plenty for the lower 48 (minus grizzly country).

There is a video of a guy taking a charging moose out with a Glock handgun.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post