SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Hiking/Backpacking gun: does anything beat the Glock 20?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hiking/Backpacking gun: does anything beat the Glock 20? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
My little family wants to start doing little day hikes up in the central part of the western Sierra mountains... for context, it *could* include Yosemite but would predominantly be north of that along CA-108 and maybe 395. Eventually we might expand to include 1-3 night backpacking trips.

We did a very light weight excursion to a couple of small lakes that have forest service roads nearby. But not directly accessing the lake. On this little journey I believe I found evidence of bear (fairly certain) and mountain lion (far less certain). I’ll post pictures later tonight when I can figure out a host.

The point: it makes me think a firearm is prudent. In the full size realm I have a Beretta 92, P220 Match Elite, and a department issued G22. None of those seem like great choices.

I’m thinking a Glock 20 seems the best tool given my location. Any other options to weigh it against?

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just recently sold my G20 and agree its combination of capacity, reliability and power make it a first class hikers gun.
I have decided to carry my Ruger BlackHawks as I feel they will equally meet my needs with a slight edge in reliability.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, there are better choices but there are also trade-offs. I think that a 44 magnum is a much better choice, but you you lose a lot of rounds compared to the G20. That being said, when I was looking and made my choice, I picked up a G29. A little smaller package, and you can still use the G20 mags.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I have a S&W 44 Magnum, but I switched to the G20 for the 16 rounds vs 6. I carry it backpacking in bear country.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
As I understand it the biggest dangerous animals I may face in my part of the world is probably the mountain lion and black bear. I don’t think there are any other generally dangerous animals in this part of the world. While bigger is always better (referring to caliber) it does seem capacity beats size when comparing 10mm to 44mag. I could see that being different if I were to be in grizzly country, but that’s not in the cards.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
I've looked at the G20 too -- that is a lot of firepower. One drawback might be that it is pretty large (and might get in the way when carried while hiking) but that size is what gives it capacity.

Whether or not you intend to carry it concealed or can carry it in the open might influence how well it would work.

Mt. Lions are truly scary - silent stalkers - but fortunately attacks by them are rare. I usually think of feral dogs and feral people as the greatest threats. Here in the eastern USA, I'm pretty content with 9 rounds of 9mm in a light (25 ounce) single stack that I can carry concealed with my permit - plus one extra mag.

Ammo selection is important too. I am thinking more and more about carrying Lehigh Defense solid copper rounds or Buffalo Bore hard cast bullets with the little 9mm when hiking out in the woods (rather than the usually good Gold Dots or HSTs). Added: Underwood uses the Lehigh Defense solid copper bullets, as does Black Hills. It is important to note these bullets come in several calibers and two shapes: the Extreme Penetrator, which favors depth over width of the wound channel; and the Extreme Defender, which is designed to open up a large wound channel but does not go as deeply. Both are claimed to be barrier insensitive. The Extreme Penetrator would seem to be designed more for the woods and mountains.

The old rule - the gun you have with you is a lot better than any gun you left at home - pertains. You can probably start out with any substantial caliber handgun and work out what is easiest to carry (with at least one reload).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RoverSig,

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Get the g20 or g40 and some buffalo bore loads and you are pretty set for 2 legged and 4 legged varmints.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
The discoveries the triggered this thought process.

This is a close-up of the trail seen below. The trail seemed to be (to my untrained and inexperienced eye) mostly horse and mule, which makes sense given a pack station that was pretty close by. But there was also tracks that look like a large dog. Upon looking online, I see mountain lion and dog are pretty similar with the claw marks being a main difference. I didn’t not those at the time but they may have been there. I figure it’s not really good news if a lion was following the same path as the pack train?

I believe this is likely from a bear?

Picture of tcop143
posted Hide Post
Greetings from Manteca. Don’t know how much I can help as I don’t own a 10mm, and don’t do much hiking, but I’ve always considered a revolver as my choice for a trail gun. If I was in the market I’d look at a 3” Ruger LCRx in .357 stuffed with Underwood ammo. Out of curiosity, were you up by Kennedy Meadows? Love that place.

Posts: 97 | Registered: August 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
As I understand it the biggest dangerous animals I may face in my part of the world is probably the mountain lion and black bear. I don’t think there are any other generally dangerous animals in this part of the world.

You mean other than the illegals guarding the marajuana patches throughout the forest? The most dangerous animals you'll encounter in the forest don't have four legs.

I can assure you that there are bear where you're headed, and a number of big cats. The bear, not so much a worry. The cats you'll rarely, if ever see, but they will see you. You won't face off with a cat. They pick you, not the other way around.

Don't get stopped on a trail out of compliance, in California.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with a Glock 20, I’m very happy with mine.
I had a G29 but it was too easy to limp wrist and I can still conceal the G20, it still prints a little but it’s not like it’s my edc. But for when I’m in the woods it’s easy enough and I feel very well armed with 15+1 of Underwood ammo+ a reload. Which is something you won’t be doing in a fight with a revolver.
And some will say you’ll only get a couple shots and that may be true but 16 is still better than 5 or 6 any day

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Weight can be an issue out hiking, unless it’s a ‘high probability’ area I wouldn’t over compensate for bears. Most self respecting black bear will exit before you ever see them.

I like a higher round count too. A mid-weight 40 with 12+1 rounds or so is plenty. Yes there is potential, but just because there are bear tracks in the woods(CA) no undue cause for alarm.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Personally--I would go with 44 magnum.
To carry the gun in a holster--this is what I would recommend.

https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'll turn it around since this is The Sig forum!

Sig 220 and if you have to have 10MM:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth I think you would be well served with a 44mag and a couple speed loaders. 6 round of 44mag should stop anything you come across with maybe the exception of animals wearing armor Big Grin . Besides revolvers seldom fail to shoot, eject or jam. Practice with your gun and shoot with speed as animals move amazing fast. You are not going to have time to get in your range stance and adjust your grip. Get it out, up and front sight on your target. As mentioned before you are more likely to be confronted by two legged threats then four but you need to be prepared for the four legged one too.

Posts: 156 | Registered: January 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only draw back to the G20 is weight. Loaded, it will weight almost 3 lbs. I'm an avid backpacker and to me, 3 lbs is a lot of added weight.

If you are in griz country, then a high capacity 10mm is a good choice if loaded with hard cast bullets. If you only had to worry about black bear, coyote and cougar like I do in the Smokey Mountains, bear spray and 9mm loaded with Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman is fine.

Posts: 45 | Registered: May 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried to use a SW 29 in 44 mag. I could not hit accurately for my tastes with the big beast. I went to a G20 and never looked back. I can put 4 rounds quickly in a target before I put one .44 mag. Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman are the way to go.

Posts: 141 | Location: Fort Myers, FL , USA | Registered: March 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hatchee:
If you are in griz country, then a high capacity 10mm is a good choice if loaded with hard cast bullets. If you only had to worry about black bear, coyote and cougar like I do in the Smokey Mountains, bear spray and 9mm loaded with Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman is fine.

I agree. If you don't have to worry about griz then a high cap nine with the right ammo is probably a better choice...not too mention a lot cheaper in the ammo department. In the areas where I hunt and fish in northern Michigan we have a pretty healthy black bear population. However, my biggest concern is probably feral dogs.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
Does anything beat glock 20?
Yes, Smith & Wesson model 29 N frame 44 mag. and 2 speed loaders.
We live in the Rockies with bears and cougars. My hiking gun is the S&&W 44 mag. I used to carry a Beretta 92G-SD 9mm semi handgun but realized that I was going to make some bear awful irritated if I shot him. The 44 mag will stop him.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Some gun is better than no gun.

Obviously do your due diligence and try to maximize power / effects on target, while maintaining accuracy and utility.

10MM Glocks are good, 44 mag revolvers are good, etc etc - assuming you can use them effectively.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post