SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    232 Markings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

232 Markings Login/Join 
posted
Was looking at a P232 SL at the range on Saturday. Looks like it was made in 1997 with “Made in Germany" stamped on it. Are the German manufactured ones of better quality than the later NH ones?

"Once a Marine, always a Marine"

Posts: 19 | Registered: January 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Not in my experience.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Aren’t all the P230 and P232 German made?

Posts: 442 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RR:

That is my understanding.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:
Originally posted by RR:

That is my understanding.

My understanding too. Never seen one made in NH.

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few of them, and have owned and sold a couple others. And, I've never seen one marked as made in the US. That said, I don't have a 7.65 version so, I guess, it's possible. Maybe PGT will weigh in, he has at least one 7.65 AFAIK. And, I taught I taw Wink, that the Japanese actually made some in Japan when their national police used them? Off topic, but the lack of replacement parts has me running scared from buying another.

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoJelly:
I have a few of them, and have owned and sold a couple others. And, I've never seen one marked as made in the US. That said, I don't have a 7.65 version so, I guess, it's possible. Maybe PGT will weigh in, he has at least one 7.65 AFAIK. And, I taught I taw Wink, that the Japanese actually made some in Japan when their national police used them? Off topic, but the lack of replacement parts has me running scared from buying another.

I've seen a few of these Japs and they were marked as made in W. Germany. The ones on GunBroker were new and over-runs for Japanese police. They had a manual safety and a lanyard loop that came out of the heel of the grip.

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember reading somewhere that at some point the slide was made in NH but the frame still came from Germany. Proof marks aren’t a US requirement, but later 232 slides stopped having them.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Morgoth2008:
I remember reading somewhere that at some point the slide was made in NH but the frame still came from Germany. Proof marks aren’t a US requirement, but later 232 slides stopped having them.

That is true. I owned one.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
My late production P232 stainless (SN S33137x) has a born-on-date of 02 April 2014. (SIG discontinued the P232 in July 2014.) The receiver is marked Made In Germany and is the only serialized component. The slide is marked Exeter-NH as well as DE. There are no German proof marks. I judge the overall quality of this particular pistol to be outstanding.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got of the phone with Bo at Sig customer service and the NH facilities never made a slide for a 230 or 232. On any Sig pistol "if anywhere it says 'Made in Germany' the entire pistol was made in Germany".

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
On any Sig pistol "if anywhere it says 'Made in Germany' the entire pistol was made in Germany".
hmmmm....

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Genorogers, thanks for that followup!

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
On any Sig pistol "if anywhere it says 'Made in Germany' the entire pistol was made in Germany".

Ole Bo at SIG is painting with a broad brush. In the interest of clarity, not all SIG pistols marked 'Made in Germany' were assembled in Germany. The following P220 was assembled in the USA using imported pieces and parts - a practice which went on for several years.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey hjs....you are obviously correct about "any pistol". Maybe Ole Bo was referring to 230 and 232's so I'm not sure, sorry about being a bad messenger.

BTW...nice 220 there, always on my look out list.

Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
My late production P232 stainless (SN S33137x) has a born-on-date of 02 April 2014. (SIG discontinued the P232 in July 2014.) The receiver is marked Made In Germany and is the only serialized component. The slide is marked Exeter-NH as well as DE. There are no German proof marks. I judge the overall quality of this particular pistol to be outstanding.

The "DE" on the slide indicates it was also made in Germany. But with no German proof marks then this P232 was assembled in Exeter from German parts like your P220?

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey hjs....you are obviously correct about "any pistol". Maybe Ole Bo was referring to 230 and 232's so I'm not sure, sorry about being a bad messenger.

No apology needed. In my experience, CSR's often work with incorrect or contradictory information. I read your post to mean "any SIG pistol". Perhaps he was speaking only to the P230/P232.

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
The "DE" on the slide indicates it was also made in Germany. But with no German proof marks then this P232 was assembled in Exeter from German parts like your P220?

I assume this to be the case, though admittedly I have not researched the P230/P232 anywhere near as extensively as the P220. Perhaps other members may be more knowledgable with regards to the P230/P232.