SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Romeo 1 & the 320 x-five
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Romeo 1 & the 320 x-five Login/Join 
Picture of heisrizn
posted
I searched, no reviews as of late. Looking to buy a 320 x-five and an optic. Seems as though the deltapoint pro is excellent but not excited about the Springer plate nor milling the slide. Milling the slide isn't out of the question just an added expense. Planned on having the x-five shipped directly to Bruce for trigger work as well.

Thoughts? Experience?

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
Picked up the combo earlier this year and posted my initial impressions here at the time - but search function can be hit or miss. To make a long story short though, mine worked great right out of the box with various ammo - factory and handloads, different bullet weights etc. Only the very lightest handloaded rounds (plinking grade that worked fine in my P226) gave an occasional failure to lock back.

The Romeo1 also has worked fine from the get-go, but being my first RDS it has been a learning curve for sure. My purpose for this combo, is IPSC/IDPA competition and I've found it increasingly challenging to use irons effectively there with my aging eyes. Accuracy is great, but picking up that RDS when first bringing the gun up on target slowed me down some. Just a practice/learning curve though and after several events now it's coming much more natural and both my speed and accuracy are up again.

Almost 2k rounds through the pistol now and it still functions as it should . The trigger, probably the least enjoyable part of the package (heavy,numb) has gotten better with usage but still far from great for a competition setup.

Recent target below (seated, slow fire), 147gr handloads and the Romeo1 makes it easy even at 25 meters (27 yards). Nothing special for ammo either, just a ball ammo recipe that works ok in all my 9mm pistols.

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm about to have a third pistol's slide milled for the Shield RMSc this time. An added expense true regarding having a slide milled. However, I've found the cost is acceptable for a better experience. I'm actually using my red dot sight equipped pistols as CC.
I have one Romeo 1 and one Shield RMS and will soon have a G43 with the Shield RMSc.
The Shield sights are on constantly (1-3 years) It's so convenient I'm now leaving my Romeo 1 on. (on my P320 compact) Since it turns off and on relative motion I feel the battery will last quite a while too.
For close fast shooting I prefer the 8 MOA dot size.
I have my Romeo 1 adjusted at its brightest. That helps.
For bulls eye distance shooting the smaller size dots are best.
Stay safe
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got the 320 x5 early this spring along with the Romeo 1. Romeo went back right out of the box - would not turn on.

Since it came back, mounting a easy, combo shoots great. Used it for PPC shooting this summer and now IDPA. Trigger was not my favorite, swapped out the flat blade for a Gray guns PELT curved trigger. Much better but still considering the GG competition trigger job.

Posts: 14 | Location: minnesota | Registered: March 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Being a noob to the newer, small, slide-mounted RDS, once the slide is milled, how is the RDS attached to the slide?

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcba_joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Being a noob to the newer, small, slide-mounted RDS, once the slide is milled, how is the RDS attached to the slide?

There are screws that go vertically through the body of the optic and screw into the slide.

Posts: 195 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DsWright
posted Hide Post
My 320-X5 with the 6moa Romeo1 has been fantastic in USPSA carry optics.

When you start adding plates and other dots you are adding much more mass to the slide and negating some of the X5 benefit.

The biggest benefit on the R1 on the X5 is the fact it co witnesses. Not for the reasons most people think, but the fact that you don't have to retrain your presentation from draw much if at all. Dots that sit higher are weird and you will have to dryfire draw a ton to find the dot on a draw. Strong hand/weak hand is also a bigger issue with a higher sitting dot.

Posts: 1096 | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post