SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Who should I call to have a one off slide release made?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who should I call to have a one off slide release made? Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted
In need a slide release for a Coonan Compact. I have the original part, but a piece has broken off of it. I believe I could smooth out where the piece broke off, but I believe the slide won't lock when the mag is empty. Coonan is currently not in business and I haven't found another source for the part. A 1911 release is not compatible.

Is there someone who specializes in making one off parts like this?

Posts: 10909 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
If you don't find anyone to make the part, try talking to Micro Arc Welding in Worcester, MA. They may be able to add material back and grind it to the correct shape.

They did an amazing job for me, welding back a piece of a S&W slide that had broken out.
You can't even tell it's been repaired.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Larry Potterfield at Midway?
An old time gunsmith, not parts replacer, might be able to create one but I bet it’s going to be cheaper to contact the shop WaterburyBob mentioned.
Good luck!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
I agree with trying to have it repaired.

Or find a 3D printing shop. That's a hard part to make for a gunsmith. May cost a few hundred bucks for the labor. 3D scanning and metal printing might be less.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Not wanting to thread drift, but when did Conan Arms cease?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta love MIM parts.. what sucks is that there is probably a big box of those sitting around somewhere waiting to be scrapped

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Not wanting to thread drift, but when did Conan Arms cease?
I think it was about a year ago.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps Coonan can provide one.

http://www.coonaninc.com

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Thanks good to know..

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^^ Confused
That website hasn't been changed since October of last year. The phone number is dead and email goes unanswered.

Thanks Bob, if I can't find some one to make one, I'll give those folks a call and see if it can be repaired. It has what look to be casting marks which lead me to believe it is a MIM part and give that it broke, I'd like one made from a more durable material.

Posts: 10909 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Maybe one of the custom 1911 makers could help even though it would take some sort of modification. That would be less expensive and difficult that making a one off part.
Looks like some combination of tooling marks in the radius and hardness of the material was the culprit. Even the pin part looks like it has a lot of wear unless it's just the photo.

Maybe try to call a few of the dealers listed on their site to see if any have some old stock or recommendations.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
There's no wear on the part, there's a little grease on the pin in the photo. I bought it new and didn't shoot it right away.

When I did finally take it to the range, I shot less than 20 rounds through as the slide failed to go completely forward about 1 out of 3 times. I took it home to clean it, relube it and found the slide release as pictured. The sharp edge where the piece is broken of is scratching the follower in the magazine.

It looks to me if the piece were intact, that after the last round was fired, the follower would put upward pressure on the release and the nub on the release would catch the notch in the slide thus locking the slide back.

I sent the original hi-res pictures to Coonan in an email and they replied:

"Hello,

The slide stop is fitted to the pistol, there is no missing material, it was fitted to be that way for function. However it was fitted to our test fire ammunition 158 gr American eagle. What ammunition are you using? We will have to refit your slide stop."

I got busy and never sent it back to them, which is just as well because a whole lot of people sent theirs back to Coonan and never got the guns returned.

On a side note, it is truly a slide release on the Coonan Compact. With the slide locked back, you cannot pull the slide back to release the slide release. You have to press the slide release.

Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I have had several great experiences with a local group of gunsmiths. If you can't find someone to do the work locally, try Wright Armory
You could email pictures and see if they could help you.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robert Burke aka Sig Armorer can weld a tiny nub on a P320 trigger.
He could probably help you with that part.
Contact the Sig Armorer.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I heard about Pullman Arms through a post by another SIGforum member. He had high praise for the micro-welding work they did for him.

I had a repair project and contacted them. They had a faster than expected turn around time, were very reasonably priced and did a great job. I couldn't tell where the repair was made.

ETA: The company Waterbury Bob posted about, Micro Arc Welding, is at the same address as Pullman Arms. It looks like they are connected.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Check with Fusion Firearms.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
I heard about Pullman Arms through a post by another SIGforum member. He had high praise for the micro-welding work they did for him.

I had a repair project and contacted them. They had a faster than expected turn around time, were very reasonably priced and did a great job. I couldn't tell where the repair was made.

ETA: The company Waterbury Bob posted about, Micro Arc Welding, is at the same address as Pullman Arms. It looks like they are connected.
Yes, they are the same location. Also, you will get an immediate response if you contact them through the Pullman Arms site.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
If that doesn’t work out, shop your local machine shops. I’ve had a lot of one of parts built for R&D. It’s expensive (any one of will be) but I’ve had good success.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post