SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    RMR Dot Size with consideration for astigmatism
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RMR Dot Size with consideration for astigmatism Login/Join 
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted
Astigmatism has been discussed here several times over with regard to Aimpoints, EO tech et al.

I am afflicted with astigmatism and have found the smaller the dot, the better off I am with Aimpoints. EO tech reticles just starburst with my eyes.

Trijicon RMR seem to be the default choice (outside of the new Acro) for Red dots on pistols. Most seem to be choosing the 3.25moa dot.

Is there anyone out there that can comment (especially with regard to astigmatism) if there is a benefit to the 1moa dot size vs the 3.25moa dot size especially in terms of clarity?

Do folks feel that 1moa is too small a dot?

I know YMMV and I need to find time to get to a well stocked shop to put my own eyes on such dots, but if I can go in with more focus ( Wink ) , that is my goal.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a slide mounted red dot on my game guns.
I have a astigmatism and with my glasses on the sight picture is not affected.
I use the DPP on my game guns this year. I use the small dot on the DPP it is 2.5 moa
I have bought a Romeo 1 Pro to try on one of my G34. It is a 6 moa dot. I have it mounted but have not shot it yet.

Posts: 402 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have an mild astigmatism. I shoot both with and without perscription glasses when using a RDS. I used the M68 CCO\Comp M2\Comp M4 Aimpoints in the military. On my personal guns I use Ultradot Matchdots on my target pistols, and recently started using the Trijicon RMR on my non target pistols. What I've found is without my glasses the flair from a RDS is less severe with the sight on a lower ilumination, and when using the smaller sized dots. The Ultradot Matchdot allows you to select 2-4-6-8 MOA dots. I've setteled on using the 2 MOA dot because it gives me the most accurate feed back for calling my shots. The Aimpoints are 4 MOA, and the RMR is 3.5 MOA. The 2 MOA dot is the easiest on my eyes if I'm not wearing corrective lenses.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
If you don't wear glasses I believe you can get shooting glasses that will help.

My next set of glasses is coming up and I'm having that taken care of.
I have a Romeo1 and use it on the lowest setting that I can see it.
My work bifocals are almost unusable, just plain ol poly progressives.
My normal set is a bit better depending on how I tilt my glasses.
I have Oakley single vision shooting glasses that isn't to bad.
The Oakley polarized shades work the best for me in the way the light from the dot is projected/refracted.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I had mild astigmatism and this is what I did to fix it. It's caused by irregularly shaped eyeballs, which in turn is caused by the muscles all around the eyes "pulling" at different tensions.

* a couple of times a day, interlace your fingers and rub the heels of your hands together until they are hot, and then press the heels against your eyeballs and hold for a few seconds.

* get a pair of reading glasses that are "4" and once a day sit and wear them for a minute. Just don't resist the total blur. This too will relax your eye muscles, if you just go with it.

I used to get two connected red dots. Now I get one sharp little dot.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IANative
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I don't think Trijicon makes a 1 MOA RMR.

I, too, have mild astigmatism, and prefer the 3.25 MOA dot in the RM01 and RM06 over the 6.5 MOA dot in the RM02 and RM07. However, the 7 MOA RM04 (dual-illuminated, amber) doesn't "bloom" for me at all. I have the RM04 on two of my RMR'd Glocks; RM01's on the others.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
USN Veteran
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 446 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I have a bad astigmatism.

I have owned and mounted on guns:

Type 1 RMR
Type 2 RMR (current carry optic)
Leupold Deltapoint Pro
Aimpoint acro
Holosun 507c
Holosun 508T (current night stand optic)

I really like the 2MOA dot on the Holosun 508T. I haven’t ever had a 1 MOA dot, but it makes me wonder if I would like it even more

I find the dot on the RMR 2 better than the dot on the RMR 1

Of all of them, the most “starbursty” was the deltapoint pro. That said it was totally usable, and I liked the optic, except it mounted so high to have backup irons I would have had to buy all new holsters

I really liked the acro, but found that to carry it I needed to have it on setting 8 so I knew the dot wouldn’t washout in bright sunlight. This did two things: 1) the dot had more of a starburst on higher settings 2) it just chewed through batteries.

I am carrying a rmr01 type 2 right now with the 3.25 MOA dot. I like it a lot. It seems to have the right brightness at the right times to minimize the starburst look

For the money, I would highly recommend the holosuns. I have heard the green reticle are even better for people with astigmatism, and I plan on buying a 508T-gr soon to test that theory

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IANative:
FWIW, I don't think Trijicon makes a 1 MOA RMR.

I, too, have mild astigmatism, and prefer the 3.25 MOA dot in the RM01 and RM06 over the 6.5 MOA dot in the RM02 and RM07. However, the 7 MOA RM04 (dual-illuminated, amber) doesn't "bloom" for me at all. I have the RM04 on two of my RMR'd Glocks; RM01's on the others.

They do. It works well.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most skilled competition shooters are using a larger dot, in the 5-6 moa range, for USPSA. They are also target focused as opposed to dot focused, and the larger dot allows you to more easily track the dot in recoil while looking at the target. With the DP Pro, many turn the dot up in intensity so it blooms, effectively making it larger. If you are staring at the dot, and worrying about the shape of the dot, you are probably looking at the wrong thing for action pistol shooting.

If your game is, for example, shooting at 100-200 yards with the pistol off a rest, then a smaller dot and it’s exact shape may come into play.

I just had my 43X direct milled by Primary for the larger size RMSc dot and love it. I shot groups at 25 yards zeroing it, and can’t tell you what the dot shape looked like.

Posts: 182 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ive found for all its worth with my astigmatism.
Regardless of dot size. I have less of a halo or star burst with a green dot. Red dots drive me nutz and to use the lowest illumination settings.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Delray Beach Florida | Registered: March 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post