SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New bedside gun.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New bedside gun. Login/Join 
Picture of Amurr
posted
Gonna get a new bedside gun. This one will be a fun pick. Which one you like:

I usually shoot striker fired as my daily driver but am willing to commit to SAO for a bedside gun. I am not opposed to a safety on a weapon I may be reaching for half asleep in the dark.

Will be chambered in 9mm!

Thanks
Amurr

Question:
Which would you get for a new bedside gun?

Choices:
G19x
G17 Gen 5
P226 legion SAO
HK VP9
HK USP
P229 legion SAO

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
G17 and a Surefire x300U.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Torn between USP and Vp9.... I’m not sure you can go wrong with any of the guns on your list. I’m not sure i’d Want to fumble around with safeties in the middle of the night, but at the same time having a safety when I’m half asleep could be a good thing too...

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Yup. Just a bunch of splitting hairs. Do you like polymer or metal frames better? Compact or full-sized better? That will help you narrow it.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
Yeah
1) everyone of these guns is solid and will work
2) I typically shoot polymer striker fire guns as my EDC but am kinda of wanting something different.
3) the legion 226 SAO has appeal to me
4) I just generally like cool guns so could try a 19x kind of Unquish
5) G17 is the easy bread and butter answer
6) have a love affair with HK but currently down own any and the VP9 feels great in hand

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I have a black Gen 4 G19x. This rare unicorn happens when you put a G17 magazine in a G19. It’s magic really.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Gen5 Glock 34

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amurr:
Yeah
1) everyone of these guns is solid and will work
2) I typically shoot polymer striker fire guns as my EDC but am kinda of wanting something different.
3) the legion 226 SAO has appeal to me
4) I just generally like cool guns so could try a 19x kind of Unquish
5) G17 is the easy bread and butter answer
6) have a love affair with HK but currently down own any and the VP9 feels great in hand

Don't want to be a dick, but do you want opinions or assurance? Assurance is "Yeah, man, go with the SAO, you won't be disappointed" (Yeah, you really won't its pretty awesome). Or do you want practical opinion? I think the overwhelming opinion is going to tell you Glock 17, bar none. The 17 with and X300 is the type of pistol that you can take over a small island nation with. Smile

The SAOs are awesome, accurate and very fast. If I wasn't a dedicated DA/SA guy I would own one quick, fast and in a hurry.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah
1) ...
2) ... kinda of wanting something different.
3) The Legion 226 SAO has appeal to me...
4) ...
5) ...
6) ...

This is how I read it. If 9mm is the only option...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Meh. I prefer and would choose my Shockwave than any of those 'choices'. Wink

Each of those will do the job. I'd say go with the one that you're most accustomed to. Choosing a firearm that is meant to potentially save your life and that of your loved ones is, in my way of thinking, not a 'fun' thing but a necessary and important decision that's not to be taken lightly.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I’m not fun. My “bedside” gun is my “carry” gun, which coincidentally is my “truck” and “car” gun.

It’s also my “BBQ” gun.

G19.4 w/XC1B.

It’s a tool. Choose one that works for you.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
Well my carry gun is a walther PPS 90% of the time and I prefer something larger and with more rounds for HD.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I’m not fun. My “bedside” gun is my “carry” gun, which coincidentally is my “truck” and “car” gun.

It’s also my “BBQ” gun.

G19.4 w/XC1B.

It’s a tool. Choose one that works for you.

Same here. Whatever is in a holster on my waist ends up on the nightstand when I go to bed.
I do change pistols for seasons but the same applies year round.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Whatever is most analogous to what you carry every day. So, go VP9 if you carry a pps

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted HK USP. If I had the option though, I'd go P30L

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah

6)...and the VP9 feels great in hand

To me, that's the first thing I look for in a self defense gun. Yeah, caliber, capacity, etc. are important too, but it's gotta feel "right" in the hand.

I have a VP9 and I love it. Too large for carry (for me) but a great shooter!

If you have the opportunity to rent one, do so. That's how I ended up owning one.
I had gone to my LGS range looking to rent a P320 to shoot before purchasing it. It wasn't available, and the RO suggested the VP9. After shooting one mag, I was sold!

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I have a Colt Rail Gun in 45 ACP with a Surefire X-400 attached for my bedside gun, the same manual of arms as my carry gun, a Colt WC Lightweight Commander.

Of those you list I would prefer the USP in 45, although I got rid of mine because the grip was a little too large for me. On the other hand, my USPc in 45 is a good fit.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d look at a beretta as well. They have models with a rail for a light available and you can convert the safety to deckock only

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
Went to the local fun shop to feel some pieces up today.

1) I am very intreged the p226 legion. Thinking about going with a SAO Legion RX and taking my first step into the red dot world. Since this is not a carry gun I feel more comfortable with the red dot
2) even as a guy who shoots a G19 a decent amount I was surprised I liked the g17 better than the VP9

Pretty sure my choices are borrow down to
G17
Or
P226 legion SAO RX

Probably just keep it simple and go G17 but still love the idea of the p226. One of the first gun I grew up shooting was a p220 and sigs were always my first love.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pretty sure my choices are borrow down to:
G17...... buy it this weekend
Then
P226 legion SAO RX..... on layaway for next month.

Big Grin

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post