SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Lend me your opinion please - Is there a market for these Glock Barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lend me your opinion please - Is there a market for these Glock Barrel Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
What are your guys thoughts on this? Do you think there is a market for it? It's extremely light, more durable than a standard barrel, excellent heat mitigation, match grade, could be available in a threaded option, could be offered for not a ton more than other match grade barrels.

this is a prototype, the finished product would look more like a proof research barrel. So far there's been 6k rounds of various ammo shot through it at varying speeds and it's still going strong.

what are your thoughts?

upload image

upload image

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
What are your guys thoughts on this? Do you think there is a market for it? It's extremely light, more durable than a standard barrel, excellent heat mitigation, match grade, could be available in a threaded option, could be offered for not a ton more than other match grade barrels.

this is a prototype, the finished product would look more like a proof research barrel. So far there's been 6k rounds of various ammo shot through it at varying speeds and it's still going strong.

what are your thoughts?

upload image

upload image

I don't get why the world needs yet another glock barrel out there. That said, I also said what the hell is the point of WhatsApp, and the developer of that app is laughing all the way to the bank with his 19billion.

Posts: 331 | Location: OH | Registered: September 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
My take is, if you've made this from a blank rifled to shoot lead bullets, it may well sell good. Glocks rifleing is not intended for lead and there are a load of shooters who reload lead for practice and competition. How is it rifled? Whos' blank did you start with ?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a very thin barrel wound with carbon fiber. I've seen a number of barrels like that on rifles, but my first concern would be wear on the barrel exterior against the slide. It's one thing when two steel surfaces have contact, but another with dissimilar materials with different hardness and wear.

There are a lot of shooters that go with after-market barrels for attaching suppressors, for rifling instead of polyagonal, etc. Weight in the Glock barrel is inconsequential and not an issue, especially in such a small barrel. With a trend for shooters to use +P or greater pressure ammunition, that might be a concern.

Glocks are known for going a long, long time; some shooters are into the 200,000+ round range with their pistols (Big Bore, who became known for his G21 saga, just retired his G21 at right about 200,000 rounds). Barrel replacement generally isn't an issue unless it's for specific desires like shooting lead.

So far as shooting lead goes, I've fired several thousand rounds of coated lead through my Glocks at a time, with almost zero barrel deposits, in factory barrels. I like Bayou Bullets which are hard cast lead with a coating, and the barrels are almost spotless even after thousands of rounds. For me, there's no reason to put in a different barrel unless it were or a different cartridge...and in that case I usually just buy the appropriate pistol, instead.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Make a glock 42 to .22 conversion simple drop in configuration, I bet they would be lined up at your door I would be. as for that you posted I wouldn't buy one but that's just me.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
For competition purposes, I would suspect that most would prefer a heavier barrel to get more weight out front. I would suspect that an ultra light barrel would increase muzzle flip and felt recoil... but I could be mistaken. I'm sure you will sell a million of them.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How does it wear where the barrel and slide contact near the muzzle? I don't see any "smilies" on your prototypes?

Lone wolf discontinued their budget aftermarket barrel offerings. They are pushing their "alphawolf" line that costs subtantially more. There will always be a market for affordable glock aftermarket barrels and accessories if you can hit a competitive price point.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HKAngusKL,

Posts: 712 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
When some barrels sell for over $300+ there is always room for more competition. Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
thanks everyone for the input. The barrel pictured has been fired and so far there is zero wear to the carbon fiber.

I've also shot a LOT of lead bullets through my stock glock barrels with zero wear issues, thats interesting.

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
It's a crowded market; CF does add a big bit of coolness factor...for those who are hip deep into that sort of thing. And lightness never hurt any carry gun. But personally from a speed-performance standpoint, I'd want the added weight up front.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cast lead being an issue in glocks is a highly exaggerated issue. I use commercial fast bullets in a 9mm glock with factory barrel without issue. I simply run a brush and few patches down the bore every 200 rounds or so ( dry no solvents) and that cleans it right up. Other than caliber conversions and threads for supressors I find aftermarket barrels are pretty much a solution to a nonexistent problem. Some will desire more accuracy and the answer from me if you need or want more than 3" 25 yard groups out of a pistol ( which a stock glock can do when the shooter applies the fundamentals properly) changing platforms not barrels is the right answer

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
oh I'm not saying these would be for everyone.. I'd imagine my target demographic are the guys dropping 3k dollars + into a $500 gun... and there are a LOT of them. salient and zev are like 6 months + behind, some of the smaller guys aren't even taking new orders currently.

├┼┼╕
246R

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Cast lead being an issue in glocks is a highly exaggerated issue. I use commercial fast bullets in a 9mm glock with factory barrel without issue. I simply run a brush and few patches down the bore every 200 rounds or so ( dry no solvents) and that cleans it right up......

My experience as well. Also seems to be the case for Glock owners that have ACTUALLY shot lead in their OEM barrels. I clean all my guns after every range session.

The rules are simple. Hard cast properly sized lead bullets driven at mid to lower velocities. I own Glocks, Sigs and 1911's. The Glock poly cleans up better than any of the conventionally rifled barrels. I actually get NO leading. About 20 passes with a bronze brush and WD40 or BreakfreeCLP. Comes out gleaming with no residue anywhere.

For the OP. I can't speak for competition shooters or those that want pure accuracy. I'm a defensive shooter and the Glock accuracy is just fine for my purpose.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
this does look pretty badass haha

upload free

├┼┼╕
246R

posted Hide Post
This concept would be super awesome if you could do it with the P320 modular design.

Imagine a carbon fiber Barrel/Slide/Frame/magazine combo could be a game changer. Drop in a P320 FCU and anyone can use it as simple as a dropin.

Posts: 331 | Location: OH | Registered: September 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post