SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    p220 german pre ban stainless in box is pretty rare, right?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

p220 german pre ban stainless in box is pretty rare, right? Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
What is meant by "pre-ban"?

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:

Assuming import ban.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

Assuming import ban.

1992 = pre-Klinton ban era.
But, it still makes no sense, because this is a 7-rounder, not high-cap, gun.

The import ban is a very recent thing.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
quote:

Assuming import ban.

This. The Clinton ban did not apply to most handguns - only to hi-cap magazines. Even if it had applied to pistols, that POS legislation went away nearly 13 years ago anyway.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Assuming import ban.

This. The Clinton ban did not apply to most handguns - only to hi-cap magazines. Even if it had applied to pistols, that POS legislation went away nearly 13 years ago anyway.

If you are unfortunate enough to live in CT, or some other anti-gun state, pre-Clinton-ban handguns do offer you the ability to add a threaded barrel, which then allows you to add a suppressor if interested. In reality all this does is raise the price on what should be affordable guns, as most never even get the threaded barrel, let alone the suppressor Smile

Posts: 116 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: April 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s relatively common for people to believe that any silver-colored gun must be stainless steel. I’ve run into that in gun shops, and it’s usually just ignorance and not an attempt to deceive.

And to pile on, that’s definitely a heavily reworked project gun. Even the grip plates are the newer “slim” style.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michaelrm:
If you are unfortunate enough to live in CT, or some other anti-gun state, pre-Clinton-ban handguns do offer you the ability to add a threaded barrel, which then allows you to add a suppressor if interested. In reality all this does is raise the price on what should be affordable guns, as most never even get the threaded barrel, let alone the suppressor Smile

So, do I understand correctly even though the federal law expired in 2004, the restrictive provisions of the Clinton Ban are still in effect at some states levels? It would seem to me these state's must drafted their own legislation using the Crime Bill as a template. Am I correct? Thanks!

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So, do I understand correctly even though the federal law expired in 2004, the restrictive provisions of the Clinton Ban are still in effect at some states levels? It would seem to me these state's must drafted their own legislation using the Crime Bill as a template. Am I correct? Thanks!

Correct. So, in these states, the term "pre-ban" does carry some legal meaning that does not pertain to states that do not have such laws in effect.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't a magnet test tell chromed steel vs stainless steel?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Wouldn't a magnet test tell chromed steel vs stainless steel?

There are different stainless steel alloys. Some are attracted to magnets to some degree, and some aren’t. All the stainless gun frames I’ve tested were attracted to magnets.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarioG:
Funds coming back. Thanks for the advice.

Coming back and already refunded are two different things. I wish you good luck!

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the seller genuinely didn't know about the originality of the gun, either.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's correct. In CT, after Sandy Hook the Governor was in a frenzy to pass a bill, any bill which would become the law. People are lazy, so all they did was take bits and pieces of the old Federal ban, combined it with some new lunacy and WHAM, CT's new gun ban went into effect. The language in it is so horrible, that it took months for anyone to figure out what was what.
Pre-ban (1994 Clinton Ban) Assault rifles are the only thing civilians can legally own. If you owned one at the time the law went into effect you had 90 days to register it, get it out of state or turn it in. Threaded barrels are a no-no unless it's on a pre-94 gun. So any pistol made before 1994 now carries a premium because the owner has the option of adding one and getting a suppressor (Suppressors are perfectly legal here).

CT is a mix of some gun friendly rules and super anti-gun rules, making it extremely difficult for the average person to keep themselves out of trouble with the man. Wanna buy ammo here, you need a permit. Wanna open carry, no problem as long as you have a permit. Wanna full auto, no problem. Wanna select fire weapon, Heck NO! Crazy stuff I tell you...

Posts: 116 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: April 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Imho, you got hosed.

Yea, I saw that the other day. Frankengun I thought.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post