SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Kimber K6S feedback......
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber K6S feedback...... Login/Join 
Picture of CQB60
posted
What say the forum as to their actual experiences with the Kimber K6S?

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love mine. The trigger is fantastic and the gun is built like a tank. I have plenty of S&Ws, Colts, and Rugers for comparison. My only complaint is that it is very pricey when compared to other brands. I am a self avowed 1911 snob and have never owned a Kimber, until the K6S was released. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it again.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Here's one article I found when I got my K6S...
https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/K6S/k6s.html

I acquired a brand new unfired K6S DC (black DLC finish) 2" not long ago in a trade deal. It's the most expensive of the KIMBER revolver line because of the DLC finish and night sights. It's my first revolver in two decades. I was hesitant at first because I've judged snub nose revolvers by what's been produced in recent years with locks and inferior finishes. COLT and S&W haven't impressed me. Only a RUGER SP101 would have peaked my previous interest in buying another revolver. And I'd have to send it off to improve the trigger from the samples I've examined in gun stores.

Just my opinion, KIMBER produced a really nice revolver in the K6S. Expensive, sure, what isn't these days. Again, I got it in a really good trade biased in my favor (for once). The DC model is a $900+ pistol so I could have sold it off had I wanted. I'm glad I didn't. It looks good, comes with a long but very smooth dao trigger, has an internal hammer, comes with nice G10 "boot grips", the six shot cylinder is just a little wider than any other five shot cylinder, every edge of the pistol is rounded off. It weighs but 23 oz. I especially like the push in cylinder latch as opposed to the push forward latch. It's all stainless under the DLC. All of their pistols are solid stainless. The cylinder chambers are recessed.

My only complaint was finding a suitable iwb holster. The aftermarket hasn't quite caught up yet. I found an iwb for a RUGER SP101 fits fairly well after a little freezer bag stretching.

KIMBER includes one BIANCHI speed strip and a zippered pouch so I bought two more strips and one billet 5 STAR speed loader. I've read that the cheaper polymer speed loaders for a S&W model 10 may work if you thin them out on a belt sander.

I've shot 130gr 38spl and 125gr 357mag through mine. It's surprisingly easy to hold onto even with the oem smooth G10 "boot grips". I did however buy some of the extended length 3" K6S wood grips so my little finger has something to hold onto.

If you handle one and shoot one, you'll probably want one for yourself. Justifying the price is the only obstacle.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I have an option for a 2” one in trade. I’ve been a big fan of the SP101 as well and I carry it from time to time. The sixth chamber on the K6S is a big plus. Thanks for the feedback

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
...a little freezer bag stretching.

Forgive my going off topic, how does freezer bag stretching work? Pre-treat with neatsfoot oil or something?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
...a little freezer bag stretching.

Forgive my going off topic, how does freezer bag stretching work? Pre-treat with neatsfoot oil or something?

Put the gun in a ziploc bag or two and jam it in the holster to stretch it out. Leave it for a few days.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2 inch DCR model about a year ago. I love it, although I would have preferred larger grips. Last month I bought the 3 inch model. It had larger grips so I put them on the 2 inch. They worked so well I bought another set off the Kimber site and installed them> I am thrilled with both revolvers. There is, of course, a shortage of holsters and aftermarket grips. If you care, Chiappa makes a Rhino holster for their 2 inch revolver that fits perfectly. It has an open bottom so the 3 inch works in it as well. It's about 50 bucks.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After owning my K6s for well over a year, I have sold or passed on a number of now unused Ruger and S&W
J-frame revolvers.

Posts: 210 | Registered: February 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Thanks to the feedback, I decided to go through with my trade toward the K6S. Thanks folks !

posted Hide Post
The only thing i can say, "It's A Keeper" Smile.

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
I own two Kimber K6S's, they are witout a doubt the finest snubnose revolvers I own, and I own most of them, I could go on about how great they are, but I won't, I'll just say, anyone looking for a small 6 shot 357 that will get the job done, one cpouldn't go wrong when aquiring a Kimber K6S,they're rock solid and reliable, as well as accurate and fun to shoot...I won't even talk about the incredible trigger, that would take too long..

P226 Scorpion, P225 A-1, P 226 SAO Legion, P229 Legion, P 22O Hunter SAO, P938, P320 full, P 320X Carry, P365 P365 XL. P365 SAS

Posts: 277 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one. It's okay. I liked it better before I shot it, and I like other revolvers better, but it's okay.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great little revolver. I'm very impressed by the suitability. As a test of mine, I used it in an IDPA match yesterday. While my overall finish was poor, accounting for my crappy reloading technique, I was first place revolver (out of three) and tied for Most Accurate overall, dropping only 5 points the entire match and shooting 6 of 8 stages clean. That revolver can definitely get the job done.
Here is a video from yesterday's match.
https://youtu.be/jZcdOFUAIoU

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Which HK-S speedloaders work better? The DS or 10? Btw, great video!
quote:
Originally posted by mlazarus:
Great little revolver. I'm very impressed by the suitability. As a test of mine, I used it in an IDPA match yesterday. While my overall finish was poor, accounting for my crappy reloading technique, I was first place revolver (out of three) and tied for Most Accurate overall, dropping only 5 points the entire match and shooting 6 of 8 stages clean. That revolver can definitely get the job done.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
quote:

I don't know which speed loaders work best, but the K frame speed loaders are just slightly too big.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I picked up a few DS in the meantime as Ive heard the align a little better than the 10’s
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
quote:

I don't know which speed loaders work best, but the K frame speed loaders are just slightly too big.

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Well, I just ordered a 3" DASA model K6s and 2 Speed Beez Speed loaders. I'll play with some of the J and K frame holsters I have until I find one that screams out to me.

Pictures when it arrives.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
Well, I just ordered a 3" DASA model K6s and 2 Speed Beez Speed loaders. I'll play with some of the J and K frame holsters I have until I find one that screams out to me.

Pictures when it arrives.

Cool! Looking forward to getting your take on this gun. I've been casually looking at them for a while...just having trouble deciding if it offers enough benefit over my SP101 to justify the expense.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used, they're a good deal. New, I don't think they're a bargain at all, and if you've done any trigger work to your SP101, you've got a better .357, albeit with one less round.

The SP101 with the factory grip is a lot more pleasant to shoot than the K6, with its exposed backstrap.

The Kimber does hold six rounds in a revolver the width of a jframe. The sights on the shrouded model, with the pocket no snag benefits of a centennial style shrouded frame, and the trigger that the shrouded version has, approximating a good striker fired pistol in feel, make for a nice combination, but not at retail price. My big complaint with the Kimber is that it's the least comfortable revolver I own, to shoot. It hurts, enough so with full house .357, that I don't shoot it much at all. The previous owner sold it practically unshot and new in condition, and I wondered why, until I fired it.

I can take it to the range, but after a cylinder of shots, I'm ready to put it away and go to something else. I don't carry it.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
KIMBER has come out with grips that cover the back strap, but do not fit the dasa version...

https://store.kimberamerica.co...s-control-core-grips

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post