SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock Gen4 reliability?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock Gen4 reliability? Login/Join 
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
Are current production Gen 4 Glock 19’s reliable or are there issues to look for? Thanks.

Yes they are fine BUT, I predict that history will show the Gen4 Glock will be the pinnacle of Glock handguns. The Gen5 is a step backwards and Glock contracts are declining. Glock had 1 great idea, they rode that idea long and hard but that horse is dieing. Newer, better designs are taking over. There will be a glut of police trade in Glocks hitting the market and Glock values will tumble through the floor.

You read it here first.

No way... Every new "improved" polymer striker fired pistol I've purchased makes me appreciate the Glock even more. About the only thing the new designs bring to the table are more moving parts, fewer holster & accessory options. And I think the Gen5s are the best ones yet.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
Are current production Gen 4 Glock 19’s reliable or are there issues to look for? Thanks.

Yes they are fine BUT, I predict that history will show the Gen4 Glock will be the pinnacle of Glock handguns. The Gen5 is a step backwards and Glock contracts are declining. Glock had 1 great idea, they rode that idea long and hard but that horse is dieing. Newer, better designs are taking over. There will be a glut of police trade in Glocks hitting the market and Glock values will tumble through the floor.

You read it here first.

Ok I'll bite. how is the gen5 a step backwards?

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I have a Gen 4 19 with about 1,000 rounds through it without a hiccup.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I also am curious how the gen 5 is a step back

More inherent accuracy because of the improvement in the barrel and lockup

Better long term reliability because the primary failure point, in terms of parts breakage, in the Glock system (the trigger spring) is gone

The trigger is better

People like me like the loss of the finger grooves

I have read dozens of articles on the gen 5

I’ve talked to many industry professionals, including those that train and work for the largest military and government private contractor there is

And I’ve talked to many people who have it now issued as their duty weapon (living less than 5 miles from the resident agency HQ for the FBI in northern Virginia, and less than 15 miles from Quantico, and working in a business that serves many of these people)

Not one person I’ve encountered or spoken to thinks it’s a step back

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I badly want to get s gen 5 g17. My glock budget is pretty blown though due to the g20, extra mags, holster and the 3500 rounds of assorted ammo I stocked up on before heading to the bush.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The advantage is all the G17 stuff you get will work in that g26

I’m curious, is there a lot of face to face transactions in Alaska? We have a great state board here (vaguntrader) and you can find a used gen 5 that is bone stock in the $475~$500 range. I’ve actually gotten very lucky and paid even less than that....for a while I just basically bought any gen 5 that showed up on the board for less than $450...and I’ve ended up with 4 Glock 17s, and 2 19s...and both of the 19s have the FBI Ameriglos, as do 2 of the 17s

It’s easier to do that in Virginia though..,I would imagine the distance between population centers in Alaska makes those kind of FTF transactions hard

quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
I badly want to get s gen 5 g17. My glock budget is pretty blown though due to the g20, extra mags, holster and the 3500 rounds of assorted ammo I stocked up on before heading to the bush.

——————————————————

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
I have 7 Glocks, two 3rd, three 4th and two 5th. All are G17/19 except one extra, a Geb 4 G34. My Gen 5s were excellent out of the box as were my Gen 4s. Juat an example of mine. Buy with confidence!

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
The advantage is all the G17 stuff you get will work in that g26

I’m curious, is there a lot of face to face transactions in Alaska? We have a great state board here (vaguntrader) and you can find a used gen 5 that is bone stock in the $475~$500 range. I’ve actually gotten very lucky and paid even less than that....for a while I just basically bought any gen 5 that showed up on the board for less than $450...and I’ve ended up with 4 Glock 17s, and 2 19s...and both of the 19s have the FBI Ameriglos, as do 2 of the 17s

It’s easier to do that in Virginia though..,I would imagine the distance between population centers in Alaska makes those kind of FTF transactions hard

quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:

There is quite a bit of face to face business but its mostly with hunting rifles and shotguns. a few weeks ago, a local lady came up to me and said she had a "Ruger" that she wanted to get rid of and was hoping to get 200 bucks for. I stopped by her place expecting to see a Ruger American but she pulled out a boat paddle, stainless 30-06 that looked like it had never been shot, apparently she had some boyfriend a decade or so ago who moved away and left this gun there.

I happily handed over the 200 bucks and she even threw in a mostly full box of ammo she had laying around for it.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The 'step back' thing for Gen5s...

Well if it doesn't appear on a Glock cambered larger than 9mm, that to me would be a step back. We'll wait and see if a 40/45/357SIG shows up in Gen5 form.

quote:
Honestly, I think its just your skin / sweat that is toxic. My main G19 has slide wear but over 2 summers of carry / sweat / etc has zero rust. I wipe it off every 1-2 weeks with a silicon rag, but that’s it (and I do that to all carry guns).

Naw, it's just because of your clean livin', R. Big Grin

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go Gen 5. My 17 and 19 have thousands thru them and have been flawless. The finish, trigger and grip (for me) are better than the Gen 4. Glock says the barrel is an improvement but there is just no way for me to tell.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
It's a glock, so if you need a paperweight, 100% reliable. If you need one for HD or carrying, they arent my favorite. They arent a keltec, and having owned a keltec, I do prefer the free glock I was handed. Outside of the weird ass take down they have, its a good gun. Not great, but functions, and really thats what I need it for. You want something good, get a Sig or Beretta. You want functions after no cleaning for about 500 rounds, get a glock

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
It's a glock, so if you need a paperweight, 100% reliable. [...] You want something good, get a Sig or Beretta. You want functions after no cleaning for about 500 rounds, get a glock

The West German P220 I owned choked more than any Glock I've owned and would make a far better paper weight, being quite heavier. But I don't own it anymore.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We already know there won’t be gen 5s in .40%/.45 etc

The gun was designed for the 9mm round. That’s why it’s back to 2 pins. It was designed for a specific mission and purpose based on a request (from the FBI) and it does it’s job fantastically

I’m just glad the 26 and 34 are forthcoming in the gen 5 format

quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
The 'step back' thing for Gen5s...

Well if it doesn't appear on a Glock cambered larger than 9mm, that to me would be a step back. We'll wait and see if a 40/45/357SIG shows up in Gen5 form.

quote:
Honestly, I think its just your skin / sweat that is toxic. My main G19 has slide wear but over 2 summers of carry / sweat / etc has zero rust. I wipe it off every 1-2 weeks with a silicon rag, but that’s it (and I do that to all carry guns).

Naw, it's just because of your clean livin', R. Big Grin

——————————————————