SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock Gen4 reliability?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock Gen4 reliability? Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
Are current production Gen 4 Glock 19’s reliable or are there issues to look for? Thanks.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Gen 4 Model 19 and it has been flawless with any bullet weight or style I tried.....115G, 124/125G and 147G regardless if new or reloads.
I have not kept track of the exact number of rounds, but somewhere around 1,500 or so. I have not tried any lead bullets as they are not recommended.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
There were early on issues with BTF but I think that's pretty much been solved. Mine's been rock solid and pulls night stand duty.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
My G19 gen 4 is at about 5000 rounds, not a single issue

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The only issues I have heard about is the back to face ejection and a strong grip seems to mitigate this a bit.

The only real Gen 4 issue I have seen is a weakish exterior finish (not the metal treatment the finish).

My gen 4 17 is reliable as all get out but scratches easily.

I don’t think you need to worry about reliability with a current Gen 4 19.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I've got 2x 19's, a 26, and a 32, and all have been perfect, minus the rare case to the forehead (which doesn't really bother me. I have a Gen3 G23 that has always done the same thing...).

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Reliability no.
The gen4s I have have been absolutely 100% reliable.

However, the added approx one pound of trigger pull has found me getting rid of my gen4s and replacing them with more gen3s.
The gen5 trigger feels the same as the gen4s to me. I don't see myself jumping on the new ones any time soon.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
I've got 2x 19's, a 26, and a 32, and all have been perfect, minus the rare case to the forehead (which doesn't really bother me. I have a Gen3 G23 that has always done the same thing...).

All my Gen4’s in 9mm have been flawless out of the box.. I’m with Bob regarding ejected brasses to the forehead.

No brass issues with my GEN3 19’S

Posts: 259 | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should be GTG. I've got both gen 3's and 4's in multiple calibers and models. Ejection can be erratic with lighter practice ammo with a gen 4 34 I have, but no btf or anything. My glocks have been boringly reliable.

Posts: 712 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Minor finish issues on the slide, but it's not malfunctioned on me.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a Gen4 G22 and did, while plain clothes, a Gen4 G27. Both have been flawless. Except for the finish.

The finish on the Gen4’s just plain suck compared to the “frying pan” finish of the Gen3’s. Duty holster retention devices eat the finishes of our Gen4’s alive.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
love gen4's hate 5's and 3's are just as good as the 4's

Posts: 503 | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
R-U-S-T. A thing to watch for. Beware slide contact with caustic substances, like skin oil or sweat. Clean often. As for reliability, generally it's as sound as any other Glock. Except when a bunch of ill-considered aftermarket parts haphazardly find their way into the gun.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I've never had a generation 4 Glock. But my G23.3 has been 100% since new in 2003, my G19.5 has continued with the same boring reliability through it's first 500 rounds with no cleaning.

I would be surprised if Gen4 pistols were any different.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
i have a gen 4 34 long slide.i thought the recoil reduction system would help with reducing recoil.

I dont know if it is because my gen 3 is a 17l,which is about 3/4 inch longer.

But my 17l is at least 20% softer to shoot

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
R-U-S-T. A thing to watch for. Beware slide contact with caustic substances, like skin oil or sweat. Clean often. As for reliability, generally it's as sound as any other Glock. Except when a bunch of ill-considered aftermarket parts haphazardly find their way into the gun.

Honestly, I think its just your skin / sweat that is toxic. My main G19 has slide wear but over 2 summers of carry / sweat / etc has zero rust. I wipe it off every 1-2 weeks with a silicon rag, but that’s it (and I do that to all carry guns).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yup, he's like me. I've had rust form at the corners of my slide where the kydex made a nice little reservoir for sweat to collect. I suspect other folks wouldn't have rusted the gun, but I also know I haven't rusted any of my first or second generation Glocks.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
Are current production Gen 4 Glock 19’s reliable or are there issues to look for? Thanks.

Yes they are fine BUT, I predict that history will show the Gen4 Glock will be the pinnacle of Glock handguns. The Gen5 is a step backwards and Glock contracts are declining. Glock had 1 great idea, they rode that idea long and hard but that horse is dieing. Newer, better designs are taking over. There will be a glut of police trade in Glocks hitting the market and Glock values will tumble through the floor.

You read it here first.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I experienced rust issues on my Gen 4 G26. I sent it to CCR and haven't had an issue since. I did experience BTF and erratic ejection for the first few hundred rounds. That issue seemed to have worked itself out. Outside of those minor issues it's functioned perfectly.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
There will be a glut of police trade in Glocks hitting the market and Glock values will tumble through the floor.

quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
You read it here first.

No, there's a thread of about 450+ pages littered with that shit over the years. And even if it weren't, it wouldn't be the first time I've heard that. Roll Eyes