SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 48 holster advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 48 holster advice Login/Join 
posted
I've been on Google looking at holsters for the 48 and some look interesting.
If you're carrying a 48, what holster are you using and do you like it?
Looking for insight before I purchase.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JM custom kydex

Posts: 14 | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Vedder IWB kydex, quick delivery, good price.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
PJ Holster, Kydex IWB. Only takes about 5 days before shipping. Paul is a great guy to work with.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up on PJ. I just ordered one.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Milt Sparks summer special II. They were in stock at the maker for a while, not sure if they sold out.

Posts: 597 | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sparky315:
Milt Sparks summer special II. They were in stock at the maker for a while, not sure if they sold out.

Not sold out and ordered. I love his holsters and have had 2 of his VM's before. I'll take leather over kydex.
I was worried about ordering because it takes a while to get holsters from him. Worth the wait and price though.
Thank you for the heads up.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Minnow:
PJ Holster, Kydex IWB. Only takes about 5 days before shipping. Paul is a great guy to work with.

I'm a Milt Sparks guy (since 1973), not a Kydex guy for CC. However, I went out the the PJ site just out of curiosity. I'm not easily wowed, but WOW! The number of options available for their OWB is incredible. Very impressive.

I prefer leather for belt carry. For IWB, all of my seven IWB holsters are VM-2. Having said that, I would consider a PJ IWB if the occasion arises.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
quote:
Originally posted by Minnow:

I'm a Milt Sparks guy (since 1973), not a Kydex guy for CC. However, I went out the the PJ site just out of curiosity. I'm not easily wowed, but WOW! The number of options available for their OWB is incredible. Very impressive.

I prefer leather for belt carry. For IWB, all of my seven IWB holsters are VM-2. Having said that, I would consider a PJ IWB if the occasion arises.

I was impressed also. I was close to ordering a PJ but I'm glad I waited to get a Milt Sparks.
Out of all the holsters I own (4), only one is kydex, the rest are leather. It's not a lot and #5 holster should be here next week.

posted Hide Post
Another word on PJ Holsters:
I received a nice followup e-mail from PJs owner updating me on my order.
Great experience so far!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It came yesterday and I almost got the pistol stuck in the holster. It is tighter than any holster I've ever had.
I shot the 48 and the Dan Wesson yesterday so as soon as I clean the Glock, gonna try the wax paper method and see if it loosens up.
It's marked G48 so it's the correct holster but it's way tight.

posted Hide Post
Silk Custom Kydex on Facebook.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
It came yesterday and I almost got the pistol stuck in the holster. It is tighter than any holster I've ever had.
I shot the 48 and the Dan Wesson yesterday so as soon as I clean the Glock, gonna try the wax paper method and see if it loosens up.

I'd be inclined to just call PJ. It's a small shop that seems to be responsive.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:

I'd be inclined to just call PJ. It's a small shop that seems to be responsive.

Probably gonna go that route. I'm not a huge kydex fan but I'm not sure this holster is gonna loosen up. I've never seen a holster this tight fitting.

posted Hide Post
Just noticed the PJ IWB holsters have what appears to be a tension adjustment screw. If that's the case, have you tried changing the tension?

BTW, how did the G48 shoot? While I'm a Sparks guy, the G48 and Kydex combo does have some advantages. The G48 is quite thin and the .080 Kydex IWB is as well. Seems like a very concealable combo while using a decent size gun. Personally, I'm not fond of smaller pistols for EDC.

I have a Gen4 G19. Also a Blade-Tech Nano IWB. It's a left hand holster I bought as a backup in case my arthritis forces me to shoot LH instead of my usual RH. It's well made, comfortable and fast. However, not available for G48 yet. Also, for some reason, expensive at 79.99 directly from the manufacturer.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Just noticed the PJ IWB holsters have what appears to be a tension adjustment screw. If that's the case, have you tried changing the tension?

BTW, how did the G48 shoot? While I'm a Sparks guy, the G48 and Kydex combo does have some advantages. The G48 is quite thin and the .080 Kydex IWB is as well. Seems like a very concealable combo while using a decent size gun. Personally, I'm not fond of smaller pistols for EDC.

I have a Gen4 G19. Also a Blade-Tech Nano IWB. It's a left hand holster I bought as a backup in case my arthritis forces me to shoot LH instead of my usual RH. It's well made, comfortable and fast. However, not available for G48 yet. Also, for some reason, expensive at 79.99 directly from the manufacturer.

The Milt Sparks does not have a screw. I wish it did because that may solve the problem.
The 48 shoots very well. I have a few hundred FMJ through it and a little over 100 rounds of some SD ammunition. No problems.
I ordered a PJ holster and got a nice email from the owner stating that he should have it shipped out in about a week.
I am disappointed in the Summer special holster personally. I have purchased 3 VM2's from Sparks and they were all great holsters that fit perfectly. This one has something not right about it.

posted Hide Post
OOOPS...I screwed up. Forgot you ordered the Sparks not the PJ.

I've had over 20 Sparks holsters since the mid '70's. VM-II, Summer Special, Executive Companion and #55BN. Most were not overly tight. The few I had to adjust ended up fine.

If this holster is super tight and not amenable to the bag trick, I'd call Sparks. I'd also play with the gun/holster and see if you can spot any obvious super-tight spots.

Following points:

1) Check the embedded steel band sewn into the top of the holster. It's easily bent either tighter or looser.

2) Find some heavy plastic, either freezer bag or some heavy gauge sheet. Wrap the gun in the stuff. Try and smooth it out and don't bunch it. May have to trim it to fit properly. Put the wrapped gun into the holster. It will probably take a lot of force to fully seat. Might need a ligt spray of silicone in the holster to help.

3) Leave it for several days. Varies by holster. May have to repeat...depends. It's worked every time for me. Just use patience.

BTW, the bag trick is what Sparks recommends for overly tight holsters. Alternatively, you can try some of the spray stuff out there specifically for tight holsters. I've never used it though.

Good luck.