SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New VP9 brought the fun back to shooting center-fire handguns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New VP9 brought the fun back to shooting center-fire handguns Login/Join 
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted
I recently scored a helluva deal on a barely used HK VP9 from NFrame here on this forum and I wanted to post about my experience.

I've had a G19 Gen 4 and a G43 for a while due to their simplicity, low cost of accessories, and huge aftermarket support but I haven't really enjoyed shooting them. In fact, I've often only brought the G19 out when I've introduced new shooters to the sport and the G43 has sat untouched on my dresser for months. Recently, I'd been thinking of getting an HK P30 because I missed having a DA/SA range gun after having sold my P226 NSW Navy years ago and missing it.

Some may have seen my post asking where all of the P30/VP9 mags were at and I got an unsolicited e-mail from NFrame stating that he had both guns for sale as well as 5 additional mags to go with them. On impulse, I jumped on the VP9. However, after contemplating the merits of the VP9 vs the G19 I already owned, I couldn't think of a single thing that the HK offered that the Glock didn't except for ergonomics. The Glock was reliable, the mags were cheaper, and it'd cost me about $400 to replace the G19 and G43 with the VP9/VP9sk combo and I'd still have 2 less mags for the VP9sk. So I almost backed out on our deal when I ran into trouble finding an FFL for Chris to ship to since my normal FFL had stopped doing transfers back in June.

Not wanting to be "that guy," I figured I'd go through with the deal and just flip the VP9 once it showed up. Then I had that silly thought that it's already a used gun, so it won't hurt to put a few magazines through it before I put it up for sale. So I hit the range straight after picking it up and ran a single magazine through the G19 for a baseline. As usual, it was boringly reliable. Then I switched to the HK and I can honestly say it was the first time in quite a while that I'd been excited to shoot anything other than my 10/22 and 22/45. I packed up my range bag, ordered a VP9sk, and proceeded to put the 2 Glocks up for sale. Chris cost me $400+ but he brought the fun back into shooting handguns.

Obligatory pics:

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
Best ergos on any pistol in it's class. I own the full size and recently got to shoot the compact, also fantastic.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I won't lie, if HK released a single stack VP9, it'd be a day one purchase for me, even after finally getting to handle a SIG P365 for the first time today.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I feel much the same about the VP9; mine has been a great shooter that's been a pleasure to take to the range. However for my body size it's a shade too big to carry and its VP40 counterpart is a weighty boat anchor compared to my EDC G23. After all of these years I still marvel at the sheer simplicity of the Glock design, to which the exercise of detail stripping and reassembling either my VP9 or VP40 is nothing at all of the sort. It's that simplicity that will probably forever tie me to a Glock.

But I still like to occasionally take my VP9 out for a little funtime shooting anyways. Congrats on your new HKs.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats!! The vp9 is a fantastic shooterSmile

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
While I'm not into the VP9, I can tell you the Sig P320 did the same for me. I've had Glocks for years and while they have been reliable, I don't shoot them as well as other guns. I ended up trying out the new Glock 45 and was very underwhelmed. Then I pulled out a mint P320 Fullsize I picked up (99% condition for $300 out the door) and was hitting 10rings all day at 10yards.

I ended up selling most of my Glocks.

Congrats on your purchase and I'm glad you took it out to shoot!

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
The VP9 and VP9sk are phenomenal guns IMO. I own both and really enjoy shooting them. The VP9 has an extended mag and is my bedside gun. I carry the VP9sk frequently.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really love the grip ergonomics on the HK... I have a vp9sk and with the extended mag in it I love that gun.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand the sentiment but I wouldn't've sold a G43. VP9SK is a chunky little babe, and the entire VP series has the longest dimension from the ejection port to the end of the slide out of all strikers that I've tried. I can't conceal them well at all.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Sweet! Glad to see it will be getting some lovin'!!

Smile

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Great post Spiff. Glad you found "your gun". After 30 years I'm still looking. Smile

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
I understand the sentiment but I wouldn't've sold a G43. VP9SK is a chunky little babe, and the entire VP series has the longest dimension from the ejection port to the end of the slide out of all strikers that I've tried. I can't conceal them well at all.

I may replace the G43 with a Shield 2.0 down the line as I never really liked shooting the Glock. Maybe down the road, HK will make a single stack version of the VP9sk (crosses fingers).

Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
love me some HK VP9. this is my nightstand buddy right here. best ergos this side of Steyr for me. never had a minute of trouble with it. super accurate as well. mine has bit of custom work.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I have the VP9SK LE on my hip right now, it shoots great and rides in a TT Gunleather reinforced Mike’s Special. I did change out the pinky extension base plates

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Picked up my VP9sk this afternoon. Really love how it feels and can't wait to get it to the range to wring it out. If it shoots as well as the full-size does, I'll be throwing money at HK if they release a single stack VP9.