SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 X-Five competition options.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 X-Five competition options. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Jim Watson,
It is clear that the objective is versatility, which is a value multiplier.
However, I can't say much more right now because it took me 90 seconds to remove the well with the hex key, and I need to go lay down and rest. When I recover I will steel myself for a journey to the gear closet to get five 17 rnd original magazines and put them in my range bag. Then I will rest again, being a septuagenarian, and then get to go shoot. This p320 is an enormous pia, as it took over 30 minutes to test fit an optic, after which I retreated to the Lazy Boy for intensive rest and to calm my nerves. However, ymmv, and I hope that light sarasm is not outside the rules here. The P320 X5 is a great piece of work, and GG is gonna make it even better.

Posts: 12 | Location: Altoona, Pennsylvania | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Wow, you must be exhausted. Big Grin

You might need to go in for a deep tissue massage as well. You could get cramps exerting yourself like that, make sure to drink lots of water and eat bananas or other high potassium foods when working that hard. Also check with your doctor to make sure you are capable of such activities.

Glad your enjoying your new pistol, and welcome to the forum.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Gandy, that added some perspective.

I am a septuagenarian, too; and my dictionary is old.

It still seems odd that we have a gun "envisioned and charged to us by Ron Cohen, Jeff Creamer and SIG engineers specifically to outcompete everything else in USPSA Production."
that I cannot take out of the box and enter a match with.

I have similar hangups over some of the stuff shot in IDPA "Stock" Service Pistol. I have the opposite hangup over some of the stuff NOT allowed in IDPA "Enhanced" Service Pistol

Too old a dictionary.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
As produced, the 320 X5 is ready to go for 3-gun or USPSA Limited (although the latter would greatly benefit from a .40 option).

For Carry Optics, you have to add the optic, but the slide is already cut and it comes with a cover plate (unlike the RX) when you want to use irons. Springer is taking care of adapter plates for non-Romeo optics. The included mags negate the need to purchase extensions, even though they have to be trimmed a wee bit to fit in the gauge, as I understand it.

For Production, you have to remove the (removable) magwell. I certainly don't mind that, considering the trouble I've seen people have trying to source a factory magwell for an original X5 pistol. Better to have it and need to remove it, than want it and not be able to find one. My only disappointment is that you can't use the included mags for Production due to the 140mm bodies. Ideally, I would have liked the mags to use standard bodies with extensions to get the extra capacity, but then standard baseplates and possibly springs would be necessary for a switch to Production. Perhaps they looked into that option and decided against it for reasons of cost, reliability, etc. If I were to buy one exclusively for Production, I suppose I could sell the 140's or trade them for standards.

For those who may have wanted a sub-5# trigger out of the box, that was never going to happen, as it would exclude it from IPSC all together.

Overall, I think it strikes a good balance of the number of competitions available to it out of the box and the relatively low cost of the minor modifications needed to compete in others.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As produced, the 320 X5 is ready to go for 3-gun

That's it!
For some reason, three gun just does not come to mind when I think of a new gun. I have shot rifle, pistol, and shotgun competition but have not humped gear for all at once since my last Cowboy events of several years ago.
Carry on.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JAFO: IDPA matches are also available in Bedford on Wednesday evenings. That is even closer

Posts: 12 | Location: Altoona, Pennsylvania | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GandyDancer:
JAFO: IDPA matches are also available in Bedford on Wednesday evenings. That is even closer

Thanks for that. I'll definitely look into it.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always assumed it was set up for 3 gun out of the box, but easily modifiable for Production or SSP. Taking the mag well off is certainly easier than trying to find an adjustable sight for a gen 1 320.

Posts: 9 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guns_and_labs:
I always assumed it was set up for 3 gun out of the box, but easily modifiable for Production or SSP. Taking the mag well off is certainly easier than trying to find an adjustable sight for a gen 1 320.

Exactly right. The P320 is unique in it's multi-discipline capabilities. From the beginning, we all wanted a modular pistol that was competitive in 3-Gun, Limited, and Production without requiring irreversible, specialized or difficult modifications.

So, you need different mags for Production. Buy into any other system, and you'd need different guns.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IDPA HQ position paper on P320 X-five came out today, and I quote.

"While IDPA does not normally comment on the legality of specific gun models, preferring to let the listed rule criteria do its job, there have been a few extra questions on the X-Five.

First, the P320 X-Five delivers with four 21 round magazines. While nice, these magazines when inserted make the gun too large to fit the IDPA box. You will have to purchase 10 or 17 round magazines to be legal for IDPA.

The X-Five is advertised as having a bull barrel. There is no rule against a bull barrel, only heavy or coned barrels.

The X-Five comes from the factory with an added magazine funnel. This funnel does fit the IDPA box and would be legal in ESP. However, this funnel would have to be removed to shoot the gun in SSP. It is a single Allen screw and can easily be accomplished by the end user.

The last issue revolves around the advertised "removable grip weight." IDPA has reviewed the gun and come to the conclusion that this weight is an integral part of the grip from the factory and legal. The weight is not easily removed and reinserted by the end user without the possibility of voiding the manufactures warranty. It is not an "add on weight" as defined under rule.8.1.8. So the gun is legal as it comes with the factory weight. That being said, removing the weight and replacing it with a heavier weight would be illegal."

So, you are OK with the ballast weight.

Apparently, all a maker has to do to get in any diameter barrel he wants is to be sure it is described as a "bull" barrel and the words "heavy" or "cone" do not appear anywhere in his advertising.

The funnel is kind of weird, with tortured logic. You may not add a funnel to a SSP, so you have to take off a factory part. Riiight. Wonder where you would be if the funnel had been molded in as part of the "modular" butt section?

Question to users: Will a 10 round Klinton Klip or standard 17 round magazine seat into the funnel for shooting ESP? Somebody said you have to grind on the floorplate.

Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Bruce, if you don't mind a couple of questions, good Sir; Will the X5 grip modules be available for purchase and will they work with the standard P320 slides?

Is Sig planning new and refined grip modules to add to the line, maybe a rail-less compact, etc?

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post