SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 X-Five competition options.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 X-Five competition options. Login/Join 
posted
What are the for real competition options for the P320 X-Five?
IDPA PRODUCTION...? SSP? ESP?

USPSA - Production? Carry Optics?

What has actually been settled at this Time?

Thanks in advance for clearing up my confusion.

Posts: 12 | Location: Altoona, Pennsylvania | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For USPSA it can be used for Production and Carry Optics after you remove the magwell.

To use it for Production you also need to get yourself some new 10 or 17 round magazines or take the wings off the base pads of the original 10 or 17 round magazines.

If you would really want a challenge leave the magwell on the gun and run it as a Limited Minor gun. Add an optic and you could also run it as an Open Minor gun.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just bought one for my fiancee. She will shoot it in limited (minor) and probably at some point carry optics. We just shoot for fun so we are only competitive with the local group. I am hoping it will be here tomorrow. I have a feeling I may end up buying one for myself!

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Just saw the recent Guns&Ammo write up on these. Never been a fan of the 320, but the VTAC one looks sexy and they got some insane groups out of their testing with it. I may be interested in one of those.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
I'm to understand it is a dandy choice for 3 gun as well.

I'm using it for USPSA production now, carry optics in the future, and limited minor just for fun.

Posts: 2459 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take stuff off, cut stuff off, shoot versus more refined guns.
Sounds like Sig has come through with another entry in the "Sport" series, not well suited for any sport.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Sounds like Sig has come through with another entry in the "Sport" series, not well suited for any sport.

Have you actually handled, shot or owned one of these or is this all just rectal speculation?

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
quote:

Please elaborate on this comment. Go shoot a Carry Optics match and come back and let us know how it went before you pass judgement.

I have a 320-X5 with a Romeo 1 and IMHO it's the nicest out of the box striker fired sport pistol you can buy. This pistol was designed by sport shooters for sport shooters.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everybody says it is a fine shooter, I am not arguing that. I thought the first cut at the Target configuration a SHOT Show or two ago was very promising.

I am going by what WildSig and other say.
If you have to take the mag well funnel off and grind on magazines to get it into its most suitable Divisions, then Sig is not in touch.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Everybody says it is a fine shooter, I am not arguing that. I thought the first cut at the Target configuration a SHOT Show or two ago was very promising.

I am going by what WildSig and other say.
If you have to take the mag well funnel off and grind on magazines to get it into its most suitable Divisions, then Sig is not in touch.

So you're upset that you'd have to remove a remoavable magwell to compete in a division that doesn't allow magwells?

It sounds to me as if you disagree with the competition rules more than the design of the pistol?

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I own an X-5, and several other SIGs, but don't shoot competition. Even I can see how the attributes of the design are of significant benefit to the action type competitors. May not be an absolute tack driver like a P226 X5 or an X-6, but they seem more oriented to a different kind of competition. I would suggest that you try it before you criticize.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand what you are saying, but I see it a bit differently. I see it as they made a gun that could be configured for many different competition classes instead of designing it specifically for ONE type of competition. That being said, I do think there may have been a slight miss on the 21 round mags not fitting into a 140mm gauge without some modification. But, overall I like that I can buy one gun and have so many options for competition just with minor adjustments to the configuration.

Posts: 71 | Location: NoVA | Registered: December 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First of all, thanks to Wild Sig for the clarification on class eligibility. I am 48 hours into my P320 X5 and I am just going to ignore my inner reactions to the marketing name. I love the grip on the X5, which is very similar to the legion series grips as well as my P226 X6 supermatch less the aggressive texturing. The balance of best gun makes it feel much more like a P226 in my view. After cleaning it up and sighting it in yesterday it instantly proved to be remarkably accurate and easy to shoot. I will probably use my P320rx in carry Optics and the P320 X5 in production. I am aching however, to mount one of my Leupold Delta Pros to the X5. Yes, it involves trade-offs such as not having the rx's co-witnessing high iron sites, but as I said I love that grip.

A little preliminary data: the average trigger-pull on my RX, which has a Grayguns trigger and my own action-polishing work is 4 lb 2 oz. . It is super crisp with virtually no creep. The X5, admittedly after only 60 rounds through it, definitely has a little bit of crunchiness and an average pull weight of 5 lb 4 ounces. Let the polishing commence!

Posts: 12 | Location: Altoona, Pennsylvania | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With regard to some of the other comments on this thread that were beyond my initial question: at the LGS this morning I ran into two other Sig guys that have various P320 s and in walks a gentleman who has a brand new never shot P320 full size FDE. He wanted to trade it in for an M&P 9 because he did not like the grip on the P320. He said it was "too meaty". He had no idea about the modularity of the gun and we quickly took his gun apart, pulling out the FCU and explaining that he could get a small size grip module. He was amazed, but none the less he had made up his mind to try the M&P. From how he looked and his demeanor after his purchase I wonder if he will be returning it and going back to trying the P320 with a small grip. I would agree with someone who said that the feel of the grip of the P320 s, with the exception of the X5, is kind of an acquired taste.

Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
What match options do you have in the Altoona area? My folks live in Everett. I take my Dad to some matches when he comes down to Texas, but I wasn't aware of anything closer to him than Johnstown. If there are options closer, I might consider taking my gear up with me one of these days.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your welcome on the clarifications.

quote:
Originally posted by GandyDancer:
I am just going to ignore my inner reactions to the marketing name

This is the approach that I am taking as well. As far as I'm concerned and for everyone else that keep saying I wish they would have just brought out the Target they showed at Shot in 2016 this is really the same gun.

Sig just added a couple of features beyond the original concept and the only place they dropped the ball on which I mentioned on my original thread when I first picked up my P320 X5 is that did drop the ball on the gun for USPSA Production because you have to alter existing magazines or buy different base pads to make them legal.

GandyDancer - I also found very similar trigger pull measurements to yours from the factory. I have since put my Grayguns FCU in the gun but the original X5 FCU will be getting some work done to it eventually.

ETA: In case you missed it here is the link to my original thread on the X5. https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1220027324

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again wildsig. We seem to be on the same track... I will put another hundred fifty rounds through it today but I see a gray guns trigger in its future at this point. I am a little surprised that the Sig trigger is that much a heavier, but comparing the two triggers side my side, it looks like it is a simple mechanics leverage issue. Polished everything last night and reassembled, so I would hope that the final tale will be told by the end of today. I really expect that the factory trigger is just not going to get there. I would think that the trigger is absolutely great, accept them I just pick up the RX and the comparison just kills it. I wonder if they had to make the factory trigger slightly different to avoid paying royalties to Bruce Gray. Or conversely, they ensured that his trigger business would thrive even more. My final thought is that it's only us Sig fanatics that will notice this and the feel compelled to make a swap.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
What match options do you have in the Altoona area? My folks live in Everett. I take my Dad to some matches when he comes down to Texas, but I wasn't aware of anything closer to him than Johnstown. If there are options closer, I might consider taking my gear up with me one of these days.

pahsca.com Hollidaysburg Sportsman's Club USPSA first Saturday, IDPA third Saturday, SASS second Saturday.

Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:

I take complete exception to this assertion.

The P320X5 was envisioned and charged to us by Ron Cohen, Jeff Creamer and SIG engineers specifically to outcompete everything else in USPSA Production. From the competition grip module to the bull barrel and careful mass distribution, we and the folls at SIG more than acheived this goal. Under former USPSA President and multiple National champion Phil Strader's product management, the final P320X5 incorporates modular festures that make it fully competitive in Limited and other dividions as well.

I assume you either have not experienced an X5, or lack the frame of reference by which to understand it.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only "frame of reference" is the post:

quote:
For USPSA it can be used for Production and Carry Optics after you remove the magwell.To use it for Production you also need to get yourself some new 10 or 17 round magazines or take the wings off the base pads of the original 10 or 17 round magazines.

Is that correct?
If it can't be shot in Production Division in its as-produced configuration, then the objective was missed by that much, no matter how well it works after alteration.
I guess I am just not fully appreciative of the "modular" approach.