SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The curse of the 1911... (and trying to DIY)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The curse of the 1911... (and trying to DIY) Login/Join 
posted
Well crap. You grab a great deal on a little sumpin sumpin, just to get a steel 1911 frame for a budget build project.

Then this shows up. It’s a Cimarron 1911, on a pretty good steel 1911 frame, not 1911A1. What I wanted. I have an original 1918 slide I can fit.. etc, etc. But.

It’s nickel finish. Thought it was going to be high polish blue. But I’d have ended up stripping the finish anyway. But now...

It’s sort of growing on me. I’m thinking of getting the small parts gold plated and some engraved sterling silver grips. A floral carved El Paso Saddlery holster...

1911s. They’re like ARs for guys who aren’t afraid of a file....

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oops... didn’t mean for that to sound so snotty... trust me me... I have more than learned to be afraid of a file trying to get a 1911 working!

Makes me impressed at ol Gaston when you get down to it.

But still... nothing like a big hunk of of steel that you hack, slash, and grind into submission
1911 style!

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
It actually doesn't look bad at all. Fine stones are more proper for delicate metal work. Files can be hawgs if not used correctly. Got ball ammo ?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:

For a guy that just finished his first 1911. AND did it from a %80 frame. This is pretty close to true.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
You need one of these :

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...ard-loop-welded-base

I Keep one of those in my WWI repro. Nice pistol, I would leave that finish alone.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
You need one of these :

Yes. Yes I do! Thanks for the link, getting one on the way now!

Bill R