SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Suggestions on P226 purchase options
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions on P226 purchase options Login/Join 
posted
I’ve been turning myself inside out trying to “configure” and then purchase the right P226.
About me: I shot competitively for years in the wheel gun world where X counts ruled and time was set. Competed at the highest levels at the time in SoCal against the LAPD, LASO, CHP Blue / Gold teams in PPC.
The world turned and now it’s auto’s at speed and X’s not so important. I still have my old duty wheel gun but I have walked into the dark side (somewhat).

My competing nature drives me to be as good as I can be. I’ve no illusions about being top tier but I’d like to have fun and try several different formats that exist today.
So I lean toward the Sig P226, I’d prefer the 40 cal. (I currently don’t own a 9mm). With that said there still are a ton of options. I had my heart set on a P226 Legion in 40 cal....not easy to find these days. I think the Legion would give me most of what I’d find useful, a better trigger and that comfortable beaver tail.

But there are Enhanced Elite, DAO, SAO, Kellerman DAO, guns with SRT Triggers etc etc....
So now I’m looking for comments / suggestions / options to consider as I continue my hunt for the “right” 226. (And yes, I think one can buy a “stock” 226, send it to someone ?? And have it worked on but cost and time ??)

TIA

Posts: 45 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: April 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go with a basic night sighted 226 and then ship to GrayGuns or the SigArmorer for action and reliability work.
Or go with a new P226 Legion, which will offer many of the custom work options already installed.
Sig also offers custom action tunes.
Pre WhooHooFloo panic, there were excellent deals on police turn in .40 226s.
If you can find a CPO .40 226, they are usually excellent deals.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go with a new 226 Legion in 40 except Sig has stopped making them (aND THE 357). They are focused on the 9mm market.

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I would go with a basic night sighted 226 and then ship to GrayGuns or the SigArmorer for action and reliability work.
Or go with a new P226 Legion, which will offer many of the custom work options already installed.
Sig also offers custom action tunes.
Pre WhooHooFloo panic, there were excellent deals on police turn in .40 226s.
If you can find a CPO .40 226, they are usually excellent deals.

Posts: 45 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: April 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I would go with a basic night sighted 226 and then ship to GrayGuns or the SigArmorer for action and reliability work...

Action work, yes, but reliability work? Since when did the P226 need reliability work? It's not like it's a 1911. Razz

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
If I was going to get into competition where not only is there a good bit of shooting in that but the need for practice... I'd stay with 9mm... but that's probably not only because I'm cheap when it comes to ammo but in theory 9mm is easier to get.

All good advise above.... I've found over the years that once you get past the basics of drawing properly and getting a sight picture... then grip and most important finger placement on the trigger is vital. I'm a traditionalist and would always go with DA/SA with a short reset.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cokehockey
posted Hide Post
You are going to want to get an Elite or Legion. I have the Legion and base model, and I shoot the Legion better (tighter groups) because of the beavertail and trigger undercut. These are not on the standard models. You still will want to do some trigger work, but you're on the right track.

Posts: 102 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: February 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The only P226 in .40 that I recently found was an Allround. While not everywhere, don't overlook these in your search.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
I had an enhanced elite, DA/SA, that I was happy with but took the leap when the Legions came out. I now have the 226 Legion RX in SAO and couldn't be happier. (Almost identical trigger with my Wilson Combat CQB)

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What kind of competition with what kind of rules? If its really 'open' then get an SAO 9mm 226 and put an RMR on it. If you some restrictions to respect it would be nice to understand those to give good suggestions.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have two P226 SAO Legions, one with a factory installed Romeo 1, and one iron sights, and also a P220 Legion SAO. I have been through a few instructor courses with them and ran a lot of ammo through them when I could still get it.
These are as fine a pistol as I have ever used or owned, I don't know what you could do to improve them. Other than a custom 1911 I have not seen a pistol that I would rather have.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Based on my experiences with my P226 Stainless Elite and my P229 Legion, I feel the Legion is far superior. I regret buying the Elite instead of the P226 Legion. Depending on your budget, buy the P226 Legion in 9mm and then search for .40 conversion kit or cheap gun from which you can swap the slide. The real value of the Legions are contained in the frame and action.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Weird gun for competition. I shoot a 226 at USPSA and steel matches. Never seen another one since I bought my legion when they first hit the market. Good news with many, many thousands of rounds down the pipe, not one single hiccup.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Matsprt, My 2¢ worth. I bought a new 226 back in the'80s, when the Dept. began to allow semi-autos. That very standard DA/SA gun never malfunctioned. I do think the the more recent SRT/short reset trigger is a good thing. The traditional DA/SA SIGs have such a long trigger reset. None of the several SIGs I've owned since, whatever the model or caliber, ever needed reliability work. If for competition, and within the rules, a 226 X-5 might be considered. My X-5 Allround was as reliable and accurate as any pistol I ever owned, and had adjustable sights that gave an excellent sight picture, similar to Bomars.

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
My most recent handgun purchase and usual choice for carry is a P226R SAO in 9mm, with a black Nitron finish that I found online a few months ago. I'm a 1911 guy from way back, but this pistol has replaced a Wilson Combat EDC X-Carry, P220 Compact SAO, and a couple of great Nighthawk Custom 1911s that previously were regulars in my rotation. The trigger is outstanding right out of the box, it's boringly reliable, easily as accurate as my best 1911, and using Mec-Gar magazines with a flush fit provides a full 18+1 capacity. I also have the slide, barrels, recoil spring, and magazines to easily convert this pistol to .40 S&W or .357 Sig if I feel like it.

I did replace the OEM sights with a set of Trijicon HDs and installed a solid stainless steel recoil spring in place of the OEM (I prefer the heavier, muzzle forward weight). I also replaced the OEM grips with a set of Hogue "Extreme" checkered stocks in solid black.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
easily convert this pistol to .40 S&W or .357 Sig

Do you mean by buying a new slide?

Posts: 1253 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9 to 40 takes a slide. 40 to 9 a conversion barrel. 40 to .357 is a barrel in a .40 slide or vice versa.
And .22lr is a slide on a 226.
while the OP wanting .40 is a bit strange in the area of competition, but if he starts with that its just a barrel change to .357 and 9.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Not everyone needs the SRT & Legion mods. I’d say buy a stock P226 in 40. Shoot it & then think about any changes. You should consider ergonomics in lieu of marketing concepts. I do like the E2 grip which is worthy of consideration. FWIW, my Beretta 96 with the Langdon mods can hold its own against P226 in 40. I can also drop a stock Beretta 9mm barrel in for use as well. Down side, no 357Sig..

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be a bit different on this. If the rules of the competition you are doing lets you run an SAO sig that is what you want to start.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:
quote:
easily convert this pistol to .40 S&W or .357 Sig

Do you mean by buying a new slide?

I've got a stainless steel slide for a DA/SA .40 S&W P226R, with a .357 Sig barrel. Simple switch with the upper and magazines, and you're GTG!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned a P226 X5, which was incredible. However when I bought my P320 full, I could see the advantages. I ended up selling the X5, which I never, ever thought I would. Bruce Gray said to me, when I told him I was selling it, is that many shooters were selling their X5's and replacing with P320s.

If I wanted a gun for competition, it would be the P320 Legion X5.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/1240096284/p/2
"my agency...a major fed agency....switched from the 229R DAK .40 to the 320 X Carry 9mm. The govt doesn't do many things right, but this they hit it out the park. As an FI with the agency we had the same struggling shooters each quarter. The stupid DAK trigger didn't help. Add to that the .40 is just more difficult to shoot for numerous reasons. Now that we have transitioned to the 320 we have ZERO struggling shooters. Most are shooting lights out even. It's really amazing to witness. Most of the guys who chose to run Glocks have offloaded them and accepted the 320 X Carry as their primary, me included."

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post