SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 Legion Impulse Purchase
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 Legion Impulse Purchase Login/Join 
Picture of henryrifle
posted
I would have thought that I was immune to impulse purchases of pistols—especially P226s at this point. I had read several reviews about the Legion and the Romeo1 reflex sight but had no intention of purchasing one.

After shooting 1911s at an indoor range I walked by the display cases to see if there was anything new and interesting — there was — a P226 DA/SA Legion with the Romeo1 reflex sight.

Closer inspection of the pistol left me very impressed. The little details like small beavertail, undercut trigger guard, grippy G10 grips, front strap checkering and front slide serrations added up to a great feeling and looking package. I found the trigger to be very good for a hammer fired pistol, even after just having shot 1911s. It is not as good as a 1911 trigger by any measurement but very good by modern Sig Sauer standards.

After resisting the temptation for three whole days(!), I bought it but, the story doesn’t end there. After installing the battery in the reflex sight, I was surprised that it was way off to the side when compared to the POA using the iron sights. Would have thought the factory would ship them fully ready to shoot. I moved the dot with the included combination screwdriver/battery cover tool to just on top of the front sight and went into the range.

I do most of my indoor range shooting at 7 yards. I will occasionally move the target out to 25 yards but just for fun. It became quickly apparent that while the trigger is good there is some noticable creep and at a measured 5 lbs. it is a lot heavier than the 3.5 lbs. I prefer in most “range-use” pistols.

The gun was shooting way low by about 3”. After readjusting the dot several times I thought I had it, however, the dot was no longer visible when using iron sights as it was well below the front sights. I shot a few good one-hole groups but a lot more were ugly groups.

Regretting the purchase, I cleaned the pistol and was planning on giving Sig a call to discuss the lack of alignment between the red dot and the irons and how the gun shot very high using the irons alone. Before making that call, however, I found a hour and a half break in my work schedule and headed to the range with pistol rest in hand. Didn’t want to make a fool of myself is Sig were to find nothing wrong. I wanted to be sure.

I must have been tired the first day and maybe had a .45 flinch when I really needed no flinch or maybe a smaller 9mm flinch Smile. With the gun secured in the rest, it shot very high using the red dot. After adjusting it to shoot point of aim the dot ended up at the bottom edge of the front tritium lamp. This facilitates reasonable alignment with the iron sights. It does seem as though the most accurate groups occur when the red dot is held in the middle of the display. I want to verify this but I don’t think the Trijicon RMR is as sensitive to where the dot is in the glass and maintains a more consistent POA when you move your head around a little bit.

My much older and much plainer KB (1991) date code W. German P226 with thousands of rounds through it has a much better trigger break with virtually no detectable creep but the reset is very very long when compared to the Legion’s short reset. Maybe the Legion’s trigger will improve with more reps on the trigger.

Being confident that the gun is shooting right when rested made a bid difference in my off hand shooting and I very much enjoyed shooting the red dot, making numerous one hole groups at 7 yards all while not needing to wear any corrective lenses at all. Really looking forward to shooting some plates at the outdoor range.

All-in-all it is a very nice pistol with some unique, tasteful and useful features. Would be interesting to send it go Grayguns for some trigger work but, for now, I’ll just enjoy a very good out of the box pistol.

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
No RMR on mine but I love it. My trigger didn't need any break in period. It was GTG out of the box, the trigger on mine is better/smoother than other P series, same-ish weight, just a little smoother/crisper.

I have a feeling it will be a keeper in the end.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryrifle:

I would have thought that I was immune to impulse purchases of pistols... ...but had no intention of purchasing one.

Don't feel too bad. We understand.

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
Yours SAO or DA/SA? I have shot a new SAO side-by-side with mine and really liked the feel of the straight trigger. My perception was that gun had a marginally better trigger feel.

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice score. I really like my Legion SAO and it has an unbelievable trigger. I know that the PVD finish sucks up clp like crazy. Most things I've read mention lubricating it heavily and leave it overnight.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yours SAO or DA/SA?

From the picture posted it looks to be a DA/SA as it is lacking the SAO frame safety.

Posts: 1160 | Location: SW Washington, Support Sporting Systems! | Registered: March 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I've handled the 226RX at the gun store. It appears to be a fantastic pistol. If I needed a full frame pistol it would be at the top of my list.

FYI if someone doesn't mind FDE 226. Here is the MK25 RX for $1,099. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoors...-romeo1-reflex-sight

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8846 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
For a four figure gun they DO sell rather well.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post