SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    For the guys that shoot HK’s.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For the guys that shoot HK’s. Login/Join 
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted
I’m not fond of cleaning. Certainly most of my pistols will see 1500-2000 rounds before cleaning. However I may have to apply a different method to an HK, particularly with powder coated lead bullet. Anyone think I may have to avoid them at all costs? Does anyone here run powder coated bullets in a stock HK barrel? If so, what regimen do you use when it comes to cleaning?

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would stay away with powdercoated bullets as i have heard they can be abrasive..with regards to HK barrels i believe they are also polygonally rifled like the Glocks so i will suggest you just shoot FMJ and need not worry about needing to scrub the bore after every range session...for me lead is better than the powdercoated bullets..i use lead for my sigs and 1911s.. but FMJ for my Glocks and pistols with similar barrels..

Posts: 254 | Location: Manila, philippines | Registered: January 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lead bullets in polygonal barrels are not a problem if using hard cast lead, and so long as one doesn't go crazy with velocity.

When using coated bullets in reloads, cleaning the barrel is a snap, with virtually no buildup. Very clean; much better than copper or lead. I use Bayou Bullets, and after several thousand rounds, cleanup amounts to little more than a wipedown, running a few passes through the barrel, and a little solvent. As a matter of course I run a bronze brush ten passes, then do a patch, and alternate several times, but there's not much to get out beside powder residue.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have over 11000 rounds of Bayou coated bullets thru my VP9 with zero problems. 115's and 124's work like a champ, however the combination of polygonal and 147's don't spin well and definitely key hole.

Clean just like sns3guppy described.

Posts: 160 | Location: Sarasota FL | Registered: April 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using coated in my VP9 and so far all looks good. I also use them in Glocks.

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
My main comp bullet is a 135 from Bayou. I'll load some up and test them out. Looks like I might have to give the 124's a try.

Good stuff, thanks fellas.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much are you guys paying for those coated bullets ?

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How can you tell if a lead bullet is "hard cast"? is there an instrument to measure its hardness? i suspect we just have regular lead bullet heads here..

Posts: 254 | Location: Manila, philippines | Registered: January 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick B:
How much are you guys paying for those coated bullets ?

about $245 for 3500

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

posted Hide Post
I treat my HK’s like my Glocks, no special regimen.

I don’t clean them for extensive periods and rounds in between

VP9, P30L, HK45

Posts: 259 | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perrinyanna:
How can you tell if a lead bullet is "hard cast"? is there an instrument to measure its hardness? i suspect we just have regular lead bullet heads here..

If you don't know the brinell hardness of the bullet, you probably shouldn't be using it.

Coated bullets should be loaded using hard cast data, rather than jacketed data.

Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hk91308:

VP9, P30L, HK45

Do you shoot powder coated bullets through it? I’m specifically interested in a high volume for a primary USPSA gun. A minimum of 1000 rounds a month.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piedrarc:
quote:
Originally posted by hk91308:

VP9, P30L, HK45

Do you shoot powder coated bullets through it? I’m specifically interested in a high volume for a primary USPSA gun. A minimum of 1000 rounds a month.

Pardon, I didn’t read more carefully your inquiry...only factory loads fmj and hollow points etc.

Posts: 259 | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
Interesting range session today.

With jacketed bullets accuracy was fine out to 28 yards. The trouble began when I shot some of my preferred reloads from the HK P30. 135 grain Bayou Bullets with CCI primers and Tite Group powder giving me 131 power factor. I notice up close the groups were okay, but certainly not something to brag about at 10 yards. The trouble really came when I went to 28 yards. The rounds were key holing and 3 of the 5 rounds I fired went through the paper sideways and the group was about 20inches. I most certainly will have to use an aftermarket barrel for these loads or perhaps go down to a 124 grain bullet and hope that the results will be better.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
Have you tried bump drills? I think they fix everything. Wink

Seriously, I have never heard that from a coated bullet. I know the whole poly rifling thing but had NO IDEA it would affect (effect? lol) accuracy- just thought about cleaning problems. Thank you for posting this- I have to double check my stash of SHTF boolits- pretty sure I have those and of course glocks and HKs.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piedrarc:
Interesting range session today.

With jacketed bullets accuracy was fine out to 28 yards. The trouble began when I shot some of my preferred reloads from the HK P30. 135 grain Bayou Bullets with CCI primers and Tite Group powder giving me 131 power factor. I notice up close the groups were okay, but certainly not something to brag about at 10 yards. The trouble really came when I went to 28 yards. The rounds were key holing and 3 of the 5 rounds I fired went through the paper sideways and the group was about 20inches. I most certainly will have to use an aftermarket barrel for these loads or perhaps go down to a 124 grain bullet and hope that the results will be better.

What's the muzzle velocity? Cartridge overall length? Do you crimp? Full length resize and bell?

You can use an aftermarket barrel, but it shouldn't make much difference.

Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
Muzzle velocity is about 970fps average.

Everything else I’d have to look at when I get home, I know I have a slight crimp, my Dillon 650 has been pumping out this combo for a while, I’ll have to check the data. I used a Jarvis barrel this morning with no issues and extremely accurate. I’ve used this load to compete in IDPA and USPSA for the past 2 years through M&P’s, Beretta’s and Sigs with great success. Very interesting to say the least.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I only shot a few hundred out of my HK USP 45 years ago but not enough to notice any issues.

Let us know. I’ve been playing with 147gr plated bullets in My Glock but haven’t shot far enough or on paper seriously yet. They’ve been fine for USPSA at closer ranges, 15yrds and in.

I’m interested in the coated bullets but I may need to go to 124gr just in the thought of having one 9mm load to shoot in both pistol and PCC.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Let us know. I’ve been playing with 147gr plated bullets in My Glock but haven’t shot far enough or on paper seriously yet. They’ve been fine for USPSA at closer ranges, 15yrds and in.

I’m interested in the coated bullets but I may need to go to 124gr just in the thought of having one 9mm load to shoot in both pistol and PCC.

I had to get an aftermarket barrel. My competition loads 135 gr. powder coated bullets would keyhole at distance with the stock barrel.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I’ll have to try some different coated bullets. I’m not opposed to changing barrels but I switch guns so I’d like to find one load I can use in multiple guns decently.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post