SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P239 SAS gen 1 vs gen 2
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P239 SAS gen 1 vs gen 2 Login/Join 
posted
At a lgs I found a used P239 SAS DAK two tone in 9mm wearing wood grips. All looks good on the gun minus some surface rust on the slide starting. The tag states it's a gen 1. I've searched everywhere with no concrete answer on gen 1 vs current gen 2 differences. The general accepted answer is gen 1 is dak only, gen 2 is da/sa. The only other difference I saw was the firing pin retaining roll pin. On my gen 2 SAS da/sa I have a true roll pin. The gen 1 looks like a polished black solid pin. In short, is there no difference and I'm just over thinking this? Is it just a simple matter of a new and improved replacement part not matching the original. ?

Posts: 14 | Registered: June 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Gen 1 was DAK with wood grips. Gen 2 was DA/SA with polymer grips. Big difference in trigger systems; grips not so much.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm aware of the DAK trigger (and actually like it in a way). So Gen 1 came dak and with the absolutely gorgeous wood grips, other than that I can swap new p239 parts into an old p239?

Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
You did go to the right place for the question. The group here knows their stuff.

GaryBF sums it up- as far as I have ever encountered the only difference is the trigger setup and grips.

I have a Gen 1 two-tone DAK P239 in .40 and finally found another set of those nice wood grips for spares. Never tried switching any P239 parts other than a short reach trigger for my wife.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
other than that I can swap new p239 parts into an old p239?

Yes, nothing has changed, AFAIK.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Weren't there differences in slide serrations and machining at some point on the P239?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Supposedly the P239 9mm comes with half-height serrations only. The tactical version has front cocking serrations.

The P239 .357/.40 models only come with full-height serrations.

Anyone else know if this is accurate?

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
I think the gen 1 had more of an aggressive dehorn than gen 2

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1141 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hray:
I think the gen 1 had more of an aggressive dehorn than gen 2

You are correct. I owned two at one time. Very nice looking Sigs. Cool

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2765 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The SAS gen 1s I thought were all 2 tone and only in 40 caliber. I could be wrong, its been awhile since those came out.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
The SAS gen 1s I thought were all 2 tone and only in 40 caliber. I could be wrong, its been awhile since those came out.

Two tone is correct but they were offered in 9mm. See below the pair I owned at one time. Both were in excellent condition. SAS/DAK was a great looking pistol.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That photo says it all! That two tone with the factory wood grips is gorgeous. My p239 SAS Gen 2 dosent catch my eye anything like those gen 1's. You all have sold me on it, buying that Gen 1 tomorrow. Thanks for all the info.

Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Glad we could help. From the "Enablers" Big Grin