SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Some gunk and "rust looking stuff" on a couple stainless slides (large pic warning)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some gunk and "rust looking stuff" on a couple stainless slides (large pic warning) Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted
I would love any suggestions on how best to deal with the two similar but different issues below.

First pair of pics are both sides of frame of 220ST. I've not taken the rosewood grips off in a few years since adding them, and notices some gunk around the edges when cleaning this weekend. Pulled them off, and most of the gunk was easily cleaned up other than what you see left. Is this just finish discoloration of the frame, or something else? Almost looks like mold, but obviously that would have come off with a vigorous cleaning.

Bonus points if you notice the trigger spring is dislodged. I did notice that after, of course, having put the grips back on.... and put back in place.

Second pair of pics is the top of a slide on an X5. It has been stored in the original case, obviously not optimal since that means it's up against foam all the time. Again, doesn't really look like rust, but it's something and won't come off with oil and elbow grease. I'm not wild about mucking up that slide, and if it's something I should just let ride I can, but if I can/should clean that up and store outside of case foam I can.

Thanks!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Typically I start with the least "aggressive" cleaner and medium. Usually a cleaning patch soaked with isopropyl alcohol, or perhaps Hoppes oil, and rubbing, starting with light pressure and slowly increasing the pressure if required. This generally removes most light surface stains and light surface rust that only recently formed.

If this method doesn't work then I move up to 0000 steel wool using a light gun oil like Hoppes or Breakfree CLP, again using minimum pressure and slowly increasing it if required.

It is a slow method that, in my experience, requires anywhere from several minutes to several hours, but I find that the results are generally acceptable and least likely to damage the surrounding finish.

This has removed the majority of light stains and light rust that I've encountered on guns. Any stains remaining after this process I find are generally so light that I choose to live with them as opposed to risking the surrounding finish surface.

Although I haven't resorted to it on my guns, I would consider bead blasting stains/ rust off a stainless steel gun as well.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before you move into any abrasive materials that may change the stainless appearance, I'd try Evaporust. Works wonders. Just be sure you only apply to stainless, as it will remove some other finishes (blueing, parkerizing). You can wipe it on with a cloth or just soak overnight. Afterwards, apply Eezox.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Polish both areas with Nevrdull. You can buy it in automotive stores and hardware stores in a metal can for about $6. Will take several applications but will remove all of that. It's a wadding material, just follow the directions. It is non abrasive and will not change the finish.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found little flecks in the matte of the top of a slide NIB. I went ahead bought it because it was a model soon to be replaced by something nearly as good at a higher price. They cleaned up pretty easily with oil and a brush.

The patches of corrosion on the frame look much worse. Rosewood sap rust? I dunno, but I would get wax or other durable protectant between the metal and grips after cleaning.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Kroil and a rag will get a lot of it off .

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
The stuff on the frame looks like old oil around the grip profile. I've removed it from several guns that looked the same.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I've removed stuff like that by rubbing hard with a patch soaked in Corrosion-X

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
When I find similar marks on stainless guns, I use a 3M green Scotch pad with VERY LIGHT pressure. Rub in one direction, not swirling. You can use CLP, alcohol or whatever to supplement the pad.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
Krud kutter by rustoleum works well. It's more expensive than evaporust, but performs a bit better.

Soak for 24 hours and watch the rust disappear.

Not rust? Try a nylon brush and brake cleaner.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had something similar on one of my all stainless P226's. I contacted Sig and sent it back to them and they bead blasted it. I don't remember it costing to much but it came back in brand new condition. I know it will cost a little bit more than a DIY job but the results are perfect.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
Typically I start with the least "aggressive" cleaner and medium. Usually a cleaning patch soaked with isopropyl alcohol, or perhaps Hoppes oil, and rubbing, starting with light pressure and slowly increasing the pressure if required. This generally removes most light surface stains and light surface rust that only recently formed.

If this method doesn't work then I move up to 0000 steel wool using a light gun oil like Hoppes or Breakfree CLP, again using minimum pressure and slowly increasing it if required.

It is a slow method that, in my experience, requires anywhere from several minutes to several hours, but I find that the results are generally acceptable and least likely to damage the surrounding finish.

This has removed the majority of light stains and light rust that I've encountered on guns. Any stains remaining after this process I find are generally so light that I choose to live with them as opposed to risking the surrounding finish surface.

Although I haven't resorted to it on my guns, I would consider bead blasting stains/ rust off a stainless steel gun as well.
No, no steel wool on stainless. It will polish away what is a fine bead blast finish and you'll be after Sig or a local sand blaster in a machine shop to bring back the finish. The particals from steel wool will imbed and rust badly.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
Before you move into any abrasive materials that may change the stainless appearance, I'd try Evaporust. Works wonders. Just be sure you only apply to stainless, as it will remove some other finishes (blueing, parkerizing). You can wipe it on with a cloth or just soak overnight. Afterwards, apply Eezox.
Not a bad idea.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Polish both areas with Nevrdull. You can buy it in automotive stores and hardware stores in a metal can for about $6. Will take several applications but will remove all of that. It's a wadding material, just follow the directions. It is non abrasive and will not change the finish.
No, its good for satin finish or bright polish, mainly on aluminum wheels and truck fuel tanks. The finish he is dealing with is glass bead or sand blasted.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
The stuff on the frame looks like old oil around the grip profile. I've removed it from several guns that looked the same.
Yup, tarnished oil or a reaction to the rose wood grips which are laminated by a strong adhesive. Even the color from the stocks can drain over time from lubricants or moisture.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
When I find similar marks on stainless guns, I use a 3M green Scotch pad with VERY LIGHT pressure. Rub in one direction, not swirling. You can use CLP, alcohol or whatever to supplement the pad.
No, no 3m pads as again, they cut/polish to a satin finish and his ST is bead blasted.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
A fine lube like Breakfree I am more familiar with than most others rust cutting chems. As abrasive as I would get on a bead blasted stainless finish, to remove gunk or light rust down in its pores would be Breakfree and a soft bronze gun cleaning tooth brush. Light circular motion and sprayed with Breakfree prior to brushing. Do the surface under the grips before you go to your slide. If it dont come off, off to a blaster goes your pistol.

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Proceed with caution if you are concerned with cosmetics. This is what a combination of 0000 steel wool w/ 3-in-1 oil and Nevr-Dull did to my blued 1973 Hi Power. Of course, I was more interested in removing the heavy rust scale than preserving the original finish.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
No, its good for satin finish or bright polish, mainly on aluminum wheels and truck fuel tanks. The finish he is dealing with is glass bead or sand blasted.

Nevrdull works great on stainless steel as well as aluminum. It will not harm the light bead blasted finish in any way. I use it on stainless all of the time on yachts, mostly on interior fixtures...the entire yachting industry uses it on stainless and other metals...lights, sink fixtures, shower door hinges, etc. I've used it on stainless guns for a long time.

http://www.nevrdull.com/page6.html

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flitz, and a nylon tooth brush. Move on to a brass-bristled brush, if the softer one won't cut it.

Posts: 383 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post