SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    9mm Revolvers
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm Revolvers Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
Virtually any Smith and Wesson Revolver chambered for 357 Magnum can be re-chambered to fire and of the 9MM family of cartridges

This two tone, 5 inch, 627 started out life as a 357 Magnum revolver. I acquired a second cylinder and had the chambers cut for 9x23 Winchester. The nice thing is that just like a 357 Magnum revolver I can fire all of the shorter cartridges in it . . . 38 Super, 38 ACP, 356TSW, 9x21, 9MM Parabellum, 380 ACP and others. Now the revolver is a Convertible

That conversion is perhaps 15 years old now

This 627 was bought early this year and I was able to locate a matching cylinder and it has also been chambered for 9x23 Winchester

I wanted the V-comp because I was considering shooting pins again.

This same setuo could be done to any Smith and Wesson revolver that strikes your fancy

Who did your re-chambering work?

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 9mm LCR for a few weeks in 2017. Small sample size; I only tried two kinds of factory (ball) ammo with it and both types had noticeable bullet jump by the fourth and fifth rounds. The 9mm LCR - even with it's steel frame - is I guess too light. I've since given up on 9-mil revolvers and just picked up a (steel-framed) LCR in .327 yesterday. Lots of upsides - incl the ability to chamber and fire five different rounds.

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
As was pointed out, that's the beauty of the SP101. That would also, I would argue, be mitigated by the additional weight of a slightly longer barrel in either of Ruger's revolver platforms.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to have a Ruger Security Six w/ a 2.75” barrel. It was OK.

I heard that these were built for a French Police contract. Don’t know if that story is true. From what I understand they are pretty uncommon compared to the SP101.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tgrshrk99:
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
Virtually any Smith and Wesson Revolver chambered for 357 Magnum can be re-chambered to fire and of the 9MM family of cartridges

This two tone, 5 inch, 627 started out life as a 357 Magnum revolver. I acquired a second cylinder and had the chambers cut for 9x23 Winchester. The nice thing is that just like a 357 Magnum revolver I can fire all of the shorter cartridges in it . . . 38 Super, 38 ACP, 356TSW, 9x21, 9MM Parabellum, 380 ACP and others. Now the revolver is a Convertible

That conversion is perhaps 15 years old now

This 627 was bought early this year and I was able to locate a matching cylinder and it has also been chambered for 9x23 Winchester

I wanted the V-comp because I was considering shooting pins again.

This same setup could be done to any Smith and Wesson revolver that strikes your fancy

Who did your re-chambering work?
These two were both done by Mark at Pinnacle

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
It should be noted that 9mm revolvers can have a problem with "projectile jump". When recoiling, the bullet can be pulled from the case, due to the difference in the way the case grips the the bullet.
If I was not for this, I would have an SP-101 in 9mm.
Anyone know of carry ammo that does not bullet jump?
It should be noted that any caliber can have a problem with "projectile jump"

9MM is no more or less prone to this phenomenon than other high intensity cartridges.

ALL ammunition that is used in for Critical Defense should be test fired and checked for projectile jump in the firearm that you intend to carry it in

In the olden days, this was a common problem with the Model 19/66 snub nosed revolvers and 357 Magnum ammunition

There is lots of carry ammunition that does not jump it's crimp available in many calibers.

My 356TSW ammunition does not jump it's crimp in my PC 940 Special.

The 38 Super ammunition that I carry in my Model 940s does not jump it's crimp.

You just need to test until you find what works for you

On ammunition that I hand load, I make sure that the crimp is properly applied

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Yooper, Reference the Ruger SP-101 specifically, I've owned one for several years and have shot with all manner of factory 9MM ammo. I've never experienced any bullet pull that affected reliability. Even higher recoil stuff like 9MM NATO, +P, +P+,etc. caused no issue.

A while back, I did an informal test with three types of ammo I had with me at the range one afternoon. Just to exacerbate the issue, I used my lightest 9MM revolver, a 2" S&W 940. After 8 rounds fired, A Federal 124 grain +P HST pulled .050". Both Winchester and IMI 124 grain NATO tested in the same fashion, pulled only ~.002". In any case, besides the 940 and SP101, I've had Ruger Blackhawk convertibles and a pair of S&W 547s. No factory or reloaded ammo I ever used caused any issues related to bullet pull.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm.... looks like I will keep an eye out for a 9mm 3 inch SP-101.
I have been considering .327 Fed too, but dont want to add another caliber to my ammo budget.
I have a Blackhawk Convertible to use as a test bed.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been considering .327 Fed too, but dont want to add another caliber to my ammo budget.

How do you like that Blackhawk convertible? Is it accurate in 9mm? I have a 4 5/8" in .45 ACP/.45 Colt, and it is extremely accurate in .45 ACP...but the Colt and the ACP share a common bullet diameter. I've been considering a .357/9mm Blackhawk...would love to hear your experience.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
If you're considering an SP-101, you might also consider a Speed-Six.

The 9mm 2.75"/3" variants are pretty uncommon, and usually bring bigger $$.

Couple on GB right now. Both out of my price range, but as I mentioned, you could consider it.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a newer Ruger SP101 9mm, only a few hundred rounds through it. So far no issues.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:

My frustration with finding the perfect 9mm revolver ended when I discovered .327 Federal Magnum.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cant testify to the accuracy of the 9mm Blackhawk cylinder. I have not put it in the gun yet.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
No one has mentioned Charter Arms.

They make 9mm & 40 SW revolvers that do not need moon clips. Also in 45acp.

The first Charter Arms 9mm revolvers were 6 shot, after a short production run, they were changed to 5 shots, which they are currently.

Whatever your opinion is of Charter Arms, I am just presenting this as an option. I seldom see them in local gunshops, but years ago, Charter Arms revolvers were common.

I have owned a 9mm revolver that used moon clips and grew to hate that system.
https://charterfirearms.com/co...ull-rimless-revolver

Charter Arms also offers the 32 H&R Magnum cartridge in the Undercoverette model.

https://charterfirearms.com/co...tions/undercoverette

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the 9mm revolvers. I have a few. I actually have a drop dead mint S&W 547 3” I just posted on another forum for sale with box etc. for 1500 plus shipping.
I also gave the 2 3/4 Speed Six in 9 and I am keeping that one. Heavy trigger but great gun.

Posts: 138 | Registered: October 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:

How do you like that Blackhawk convertible? Is it accurate in 9mm? I have a 4 5/8" in .45 ACP/.45 Colt, and it is extremely accurate in .45 ACP...but the Colt and the ACP share a common bullet diameter. I've been considering a .357/9mm Blackhawk...would love to hear your experience.

My friend had one that I used to shoot a lot. The 9mm conversion wasn't as accurate as .38/.357...….I'd say average groups were 4" instead of 2" at let's say 10 yards in my hands. It was a heck of a lot cheaper than .38 special, had a lot more kick (but much less than .357), and was a lot more fun. It was the right amount of recoil, his had the 5.x" barrel. He also had a single six .22 LR with the .22 mag cylinder (which was a waste of time at the range aside from the fire that came out of the barrel, compared to .22 LR).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
No one has mentioned Charter Arms.

Charter Arms are the worst firearms I've ever handled, and the only revolvers on which I've ever experienced repeat broken parts, as well as jams and failures.

I see a lot of charter arms revolvers for sale, and they do sell, primarily because they're cheap.

Cheap is not a compliment, but refers to the quality of the firearm, which in this case, matches the price.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently saw an article in Guns of the Old West about a new Taylor's & Co TC9 1873 SA in 9mm. Made by Pietta.

https://taylorsfirearms.com/ha...ies/tc9-1873-sa.html

Posts: 588 | Location: Missouri | Registered: September 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JYuma:
I recently saw an article in Guns of the Old West about a new Taylor's & Co TC9 1873 SA in 9mm. Made by Pietta.

https://taylorsfirearms.com/ha...ies/tc9-1873-sa.html

Ok, that is kinda cool! And best of all, it's an SA so no moon clips needed. Thanks for tempting me with something else I shouldn't spend money on!

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post