SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    9mm Revolvers
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm Revolvers Login/Join 
posted
I am looking for help finding a 9mm revolver that is not a Taurus. This would be a carry and target gun. So no 6" revolvers or J Frames. Not that J Frames are not accurate but not for me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Ruger has an SP101 that should be good.

They also have a couple in the LCR frame, but based on my experience (I had one, and sold it), I would not recommend this, especially for carry.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Smith & Wesson 986, 7-shot:

986left1K by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A 9mm carry/range revolver that's larger than a snub but not a full size gun? Sounds like a 3" would fit the bill nicely.

Something like a S&W 547 in the 3" round butt configuration, if you don't want to deal with moon clips:

Or a 9mm SP101 in the 3" configuration, if moon clips aren't an issue:

However, these 3" 547s and SP101s are less common and currently discontinued, so you'd have to hunt around on the used market.

The 2.25" 9mm SP101s are current production, and much more common:

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Tough call--Smith 940 and 547 are out of production--scarce and pricey. Because of rimless 9 mm cartridge's -you will need moon clips.
Smith 986 is in production. 2.5 " and 5 " models-again you will need moon clips.
Ruger SP101--in production, need moon clips (not for 547). LCR9 is Ruger's polymer J frame.
Korth-cylinder is dedicated for 9 mm or 357. Very nice revolver --on par with a Colt Python. Beyond pricey. Comes in 3", 4", 5.25" and 6"
Ruger-$500 gun, Smith $900 (986) gun, Korth is $3,500 gun. Definitely NOT a Taurus.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Tough call--Smith 940 and 547 are out of production--scarce and pricey. Because of rimless 9 mm cartridge's -you will need moon clips.

The S&W 547 doesn't use moon clips. It has extractors:

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Corrected - 547 has extractors. Current price on GunBroker is in the $2,000 range.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Current price on GunBroker is in the $2,000 range.

Eek

Wow! Those jumped significantly in price since that last time I looked a few years ago.

Nice gun, but not $2k nice.

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Yep, 547 had a production run of about 10,000. Price has gone up exponentially.

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The price is probably boosted by being able to boast on the net about owning one.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
The price is probably boosted by being able to boast on the net about owning one.

As with all things collectible. Big Grin

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

As with all things collectible. Big Grin

Exactly.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chiapas rhino has a 9mm in 2 ,3 , and 4 inch barrel

Posts: 151 | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Virtually any Smith and Wesson Revolver chambered for 357 Magnum can be re-chambered to fire and of the 9MM family of cartridges

This two tone, 5 inch, 627 started out life as a 357 Magnum revolver. I acquired a second cylinder and had the chambers cut for 9x23 Winchester. The nice thing is that just like a 357 Magnum revolver I can fire all of the shorter cartridges in it . . . 38 Super, 38 ACP, 356TSW, 9x21, 9MM Parabellum, 380 ACP and others. Now the revolver is a Convertible

That conversion is perhaps 15 years old now

This 627 was bought early this year and I was able to locate a matching cylinder and it has also been chambered for 9x23 Winchester

I wanted the V-comp because I was considering shooting pins again.

This same setuo could be done to any Smith and Wesson revolver that strikes your fancy

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I just want to take this opportunity to boast about having a S&W 940.

Posts: 618 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I just want to take this opportunity to bitch about the fact that Ruger isn't making 3" SP101s or LCRxs in 9mm.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
$2000.00? I only paid $179.89 for my 547 back in the 80’s. Great gun. One of my favorites to shoot.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I just want to take this opportunity to bitch about the fact that Ruger isn't making 3" SP101s or LCRxs in 9mm.

Me too. If the SP101 9mm was currently available in 3", I'd have one right now. I've almost bought a 2" variant twice now, but both times talked myself out of it in favor of waiting for one with a longer barrel.

A couple of weeks ago I encountered a 2 3/4" speed six at the LGS for $329. I could barely contain myself waiting for the guy to get it out of the case so I could see if it was 9mm. It was a .357. I bought it anyway, but it sure would have been sweet if it had been a 9mm!

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It should be noted that 9mm revolvers can have a problem with "projectile jump". When recoiling, the bullet can be pulled from the case, due to the difference in the way the case grips the the bullet.
If I was not for this, I would have an SP-101 in 9mm.
Anyone know of carry ammo that does not bullet jump?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
It should be noted that 9mm revolvers can have a problem with "projectile jump". When recoiling, the bullet can be pulled from the case, due to the difference in the way the case grips the the bullet.
If I was not for this, I would have an SP-101 in 9mm.
Anyone know of carry ammo that does not bullet jump?

Now I don't own one (yet) so I can't speak from personal experience, but my understanding is that this is a more common problem with lighter guns shooting heavier bullets (more vibration and kind of a slide-hamner affect with the heavier projectiles). This has pushed me in the direction of the SP101 instead of the LCR since it's a chunky little bugger which hopefully would help mitigate that issue.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post