SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shot a Steel Challenge match today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot a Steel Challenge match today Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
2 degrees when it started, high of 18. Clear and mostly calm. Shooting into the sun most of the day which isn't the best with an optic and a wool beanie rather than a ball cap. Enough with the excuses. Big Grin

90+ shooters, lots of PCC and Open. I shot my M&P CORE 9L with RMR red dot and placed first in Carry Optics and third overall in handguns. One open guy and one open revolver guy beat me. Lots of PCC and rimfire rifle guys beat me.

I won one stage (handguns) but generally was about third to fifth with several open shooters beating me and sometimes the local revolver guys, who are good and shoot national matches a lot.

I lost a lot of time on the draw/first shot. I used an IDPA approved holster. The holster didn't slow me down much... I still take too much time finding the dot for the first shot. Also I haven't really practiced the swing/stop/shoot technique for steel challenge much. This was my second or third steel challenge match. Makes you want to set up smoke and hope in your back yard and practice every day.

Lots of fun! If you don't know what Steel Challenge is, look up some YouTube videos. The pros make it look easy. LOL

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
sounds like a blast!! where was it held? it sure was a bitter cold day- but tomorrow looks even worse.

I'll have to tag along to one of these shoots someday.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
If you can try using the iron sights first then refine your sight picture with the red dot..... I've found this much faster than trying to find the red dot first.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
If you can try using the iron sights first then refine your sight picture with the red dot..... I've found this much faster than trying to find the red dot first.
yeah I tried that but my previous decision to color the front sight dot orange backfired and made it less visible than white in the shadows. I definitely need more practice.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
sounds like a blast!! where was it held? it sure was a bitter cold day- but tomorrow looks even worse.

I'll have to tag along to one of these shoots someday.
at the FARM south of Fairfield like all of the UDPL shoots. Go to UDPL.net for a schedule or search matches/udpl on practiscore. All registration is now done via Practiscore though you still pay at the match. I think a yearly membership is $13 and match fees for members are $20 and $30 for non members. They usually have at least one match out there a month and 2-3 multigun matches a year. I'd be happy to take you along and show you the ropes. It's really low-key and the staff and SOs are really cool. I look forward to every match and it's always a great time. I think they're planning an IDPA match for the 26th but it's not showing up in practiscore yet. Definitely come to any "ICORE" or "handgun" matches as they are almost always all-steel targets and lots of fast shooting. Tons of fun. July will be a man versus man match where two shooters face identical falling steel arrays or plate racks at the same time and then an overlapping popper "stop plate". Those matches are insanely fun.

Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I love the SC! I have been shooting them once a month for the past 5-6 years. Unfortunately, that is all the competitive shooting I can afford. Boo.

For those interested, here are the stages the South Florida Pistol Club runs in their matches. Generally 5 out of 8 stages. http://www.sfpc.org/?page_id=2591

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
I love the SC! I have been shooting them once a month for the past 5-6 years. Unfortunately, that is all the competitive shooting I can afford. Boo.

For those interested, here are the stages the South Florida Pistol Club runs in their matches. Generally 5 out of 8 stages. http://www.sfpc.org/?page_id=2591
Linky no worky: "Error 404 - Not Found"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post