SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Budget RDS setup for the M17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Budget RDS setup for the M17 Login/Join 
posted
A $225 investment in the Springer Precision RMR plate and the $179 Swampfox RDS 3 MOA. I'm on the fence about RDS so I'll try this setup at the range a few times. The see-through distortion on the sight is pretty good.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And in addition they now have a plate that will give you backup irons which I consider mandatory (its $55).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sort of missing the backup iron sight.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by opticsguy:

I've seen just about every brand of optic fail, when slide mounted. It's one thing to finish shooting a match without sights, but, unacceptable in a defensive gun.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RH45:
quote:

I've seen just about every brand of optic fail, when slide mounted. It's one thing to finish shooting a match without sights, but, unacceptable in a defensive gun.

Sounds like the simple solution is to not use a red dot on defensive guns or be more proactive the maintenance/battery changing.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
Originally posted by RH45:
quote:

Sounds like the simple solution is to not use a red dot on defensive guns or be more proactive the maintenance/battery changing.

There’s no amount of preventive maintenance or battery changes that will keep a dot from failing.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've reached a pretty high level of confidence in the RMR. The cheaper stuff probably is not the same, but I haven't tested it. I still want backup irons, but the absolute increase in speed and accuracy from the dot is worth the very small failure risk.

posted Hide Post
I've read of multiple RMR failures from multiple members on arfcom. One guy broke 3 RMRs on his G17 in a year, IIRC.

Dots are faster and more accurate at distance, but slow at 20yds or less. Even then, if you dont get your presentation and head position just right you'll find yourself hunting for the dot.

It's the latest youtube operator fad, it will fade eventually.

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I’ve broke an rmr, a rts2, a couple vortexes, a Holosun and a Burris. I haven’t broke a dpp yet but know a bunch of guys who have. They all break.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sg:
I've read of multiple RMR failures from multiple members on arfcom. One guy broke 3 RMRs on his G17 in a year, IIRC.

Dots are faster and more accurate at distance, but slow at 20yds or less. Even then, if you dont get your presentation and head position just right you'll find yourself hunting for the dot.

It's the latest youtube operator fad, it will fade eventually.

The same was said about red dots on rifles up until the military adopted them widescale. And its only slower if you're slower. Get good and its faster, just like on a rifle.

Oh, and limited units are picking up pistol dots, the same trend seen in rifle red dots back in the 70s and 80s.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everybody can have their own experience base on reliability. I've a couple dozen RMR's. I've beat the crap out of them and shot them tens and tens of thousands of rounds. I had one early Type 1 intermittently fail and Trijicon fixed it. I have not had any Type 2 failures. That's good enough for me to carry one. I'm testing the aimpoint which in theory might be better than that, we will see. Yes I still want backup irons, but I do that on my rifle as well and I've never had an aimpoint fail, so its just common sense for any life safety device.
As for speed and the dot's being slow, when iron guys beat optic guys in competition in open classes then you might argue that, but its simply not true as a factual matter today.

posted Hide Post
About 6,000 rounds on a RMR Type 2 and still going strong. Will be picking up a Holosun soon.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Brother what are you doing to those poor red dots????

Maybe LESS Mountain Dew.

FWIW, I’ve run the DPP, aimpoint and Holosuns and beyond routine battery stuff I’ve never had them fail (As in break). I do have backup irons

And the notion that this is some YouTube operator fad is just simply not true, nor is the notion that they are slower under 20 yards. Most tier 1 units are adopting and running some sort of RDS. Hell, we just had a thread here on the forum about the US Marshal high risk team adopting STI 2011s with DPP on them.

Training and practice. One thing I will say is I ran a DPP on a glock 34. The DPP sits up so high on the MOS guns that there aren’t many backup irons that are visible with them (Dawson makes some). Not having the sights visible made me really have to train with the dot. I got much faster and more proficient because of it. It was a great training aid. But on a defensive handgun I wanted backup irons.

quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
I’ve broke an rmr, a rts2, a couple vortexes, a Holosun and a Burris. I haven’t broke a dpp yet but know a bunch of guys who have. They all break.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Brother what are you doing to those poor red dots????

Maybe LESS Mountain Dew.

FWIW, I’ve run the DPP, aimpoint and Holosuns and beyond routine battery stuff I’ve never had them fail (As in break). I do have backup irons

And the notion that this is some YouTube operator fad is just simply not true, nor is the notion that they are slower under 20 yards. Most tier 1 units are adopting and running some sort of RDS. Hell, we just had a thread here on the forum about the US Marshal high risk team adopting STI 2011s with DPP on them.

Training and practice. One thing I will say is I ran a DPP on a glock 34. The DPP sits up so high on the MOS guns that there aren’t many backup irons that are visible with them (Dawson makes some). Not having the sights visible made me really have to train with the dot. I got much faster and more proficient because of it. It was a great training aid. But on a defensive handgun I wanted backup irons.

quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:

Just training. I think there’s some luck of the draw involved. They seem to a either fail quickly or last for a decent time. I’m creeping on 15k on my most used DPP, which is further than any of the above mentioned dots lasted. I shoot a lot more than most people and am generally hard on gear.

Agree with your comments above. I’m the same speed with irons out to *maybe* 7 yards. beyond that, if you aren’t appreciably faster with a dot, you are either over aiming or lack training with the dot.

posted Hide Post
DPP? Leupold Delta point pro?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
[QUOTE]

The same was said about red dots on rifles up until the military adopted them widescale. And its only slower if you're slower. Get good and its faster, just like on a rifle.

Oh, and limited units are picking up pistol dots, the same trend seen in rifle red dots back in the 70s and 80s.

I've never read that about rifles. Rifles have a stock permitting a cheekweld, kinda hard to miss the dot. Also, Rifles werent killing red dots like we are seeing on pistols. Well, Eotech's were dying. Lol

Red dot reliability on pistols are too inconsistent for me. I'm sure the technology will get there.
Very curious about the SRO and how it holds up. Trijicon designed it specifically for pistols. Most other mini rds were not intended for the violent action of pistols.

ETA: Rustspot, I'm not disagreeing with you, we're just not quite there yet.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sg:
DPP? Leupold Delta point pro?

Yes

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sg:

Very curious about the SRO and how it holds up. Trijicon designed it specifically for pistols. Most other mini rds were not intended for the violent action of pistols

Initial reviews are that it's less reliable than the RMR and the adjustments have a tendency to move in recoil. The size of the window gets rave reviews.

posted Hide Post
The Sampfox has a pretty involved battery mounting scheme. That being said, keeping flexible battery contacts intact through repeated shocks is quite a mechanical engineering feat.