SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Failure - Glock 19 Mag w/ Pearce +2 Extension
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Failure - Glock 19 Mag w/ Pearce +2 Extension Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
NEVER, I mean NEVER use Pearce magazine extensions! I was with our church security team today at the range getting some training and did two magazine (Glock OEM) reloads back to back, both with Pearce +2 extensions and when I slammed the mag home the extension slid off the mag and dumped all the contents. I only recovered half the parts, but have both of the extensions. The lips on both are cracked and painfully thin plastic. I'll be sticking with factory stock mags from now on. Stay safe!

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pointman73
posted Hide Post
After seeing so many aftermarket parts fail on Glocks, only a few actually survive. I like Vickers Tactical products, but the only extension I use is the G43 +2 for the mags. For 17s and 19s, I stick with OEM.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Posts: 104 | Location: From Philly, now in middle GA | Registered: June 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear your mag failure occured during training and not in a real time use of force scenario. As you have personally experienced, mag extensions are range toys.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah on a G19 my +2 reload is a G17 magazine.

Although I’ve had good luck with G42/43 Pearce grips, and Vickers.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yeah on a G19 my +2 reload is a G17 magazine.

Yep. A factory 17 rounder beats a 15 rounder with an aftermarket +2 any day.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Church security team?

Pearce baseplates are good; I use their +0 products on the subcompact glocks, and their +1 on the G43 (as it adds a round but no length beyond the +0.

I suspect that if you were experiencing failures while the mags were being inserted into the weapon, the baseplate were not properly installed. They lock not only with the locking plate below the spring, but with built-in tabs on the side of the mags.

Adding extensions below the base of the mag in which the locking plate cannot limit the movement of the plate in relation to the mag body, then the only thing preventing motion is the built-in locking tab.

If you need the extra two rounds, you might be better off considering a bigger magazine. If you're running a G19, why not just use a G17 magazine, and accomplish the same thing?

Vickers baseplates are just fine for use, and will not fail when dropped.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Vickers baseplates are just fine for use, and will not fail when dropped.

I've been using Vickers baseplates on my duty gun for about 3 years now. I have some dedicated training mags whose Vickers baseplates have seen hundreds of drops on concrete and gravel. Never any issues.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pointman73:
After seeing so many aftermarket parts fail on Glocks, only a few actually survive. I like Vickers Tactical products, but the only extension I use is the G43 +2 for the mags. For 17s and 19s, I stick with OEM.

Meh.

In no way, shape, form, or fashion does using OEM parts equate success. Anyone who thinks such doesn't remember the great quality Glock high intensity 15 lumen light that Glock produced to "fix" this issues with coppers G22 tying up during gunfights with a light attached. It was completely useless, and OEM.

To the base pads, they all fail. My girlfriend had a 26 that had a factory +2 and was carrying the gun appendix. We stopped to get gas, and as she twisted to get out of the car, I heard "ting" and she had a puzzled look on her face. And then bullets started falling out of her shirt. We laughed about it hard.

But, it was nothing more than twisting her body causing pressure on the +2 and it pried it off.

IME, the Pearce probably locks in the best. The OEM the worst. I know guys that carry #2s on all of their duty magazines on a 17 to allow them to carry 19 round mags. And they do so without issue, day in and out.

I think putting pressure on the sides of the +2 is just a factor for all of them.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Never had an issue with their +1 products with my G43 & 42

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Been there, done exactly that. I had a Pearce "+2" (well +1 for a G23 mag) blow out during live fire at a range session a few years ago. All of the mags that I had switched to Pearce +2 bases were retired until I changed them out; I decided to live with +0 and switched to the TangoDown Vickers tactical bases instead, which have proven to be as dependable as the factory base but more functional because of their extended-wide shape. The Vickers +2 bases have worked well on my G43 magazines, so I may try a couple of their bases for a G19 or G23. However I've also been itching to try the Taran Tactical and Hyve aluminum + bases for double stack mags.

Using full size mags is an obvious no brainer but it feels weird having a bare bones oversized mag hanging out of the magwell of a holstered compact, and I detest the quirky fit of X-Grip mag sleeves on Glock mags.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Using full size mags is an obvious no brainer but it feels weird having a bare bones oversized mag hanging out of the magwell of a holstered compact,

Personally, if someone is using them while holstered, I'm of the believe they should just carry the next larger Glock.

I used G17 mags in my G19 all the time, but only for reloads (although while training at the range they get holstered, but for carry it's just the G19 standard magazine).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Not sure where the problem occurred, but I’ve been carrying the +2 extensions for the last four years with zero malfunctions. All of our Tac guys carry them as well.

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post