SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My new P229 SAS Gen 2 (2009) Came In Today...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new P229 SAS Gen 2 (2009) Came In Today... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by jsawyer09:
quote:
Does this one still use the older 229 frame, and not the 229-1 frame?

Hi Q.
Yes, I believe it does. My understanding is that the newer frames typically have serials starting with AKU or 45A, respectively. May not necessarily have to be those, but for the most part, those first three alpha or alpha-numeric serials are used.
Older frames start with AM, AG, etc. (typically falling within 2004 - 2009). This is just my suspicion. Perhaps someone much more knowledgable than myself has the facts on this.

Sounds about right about the P229 SAS frame of 2009. SIG had a bunch of them frames left over, after the P229 SAS production. So, they used them to make the SAS frame P228s that were released in late 2009. That's according to a SIG CSR I communicated with.

That's good to know. I forgot to add, since you mentioned the P228 slides married to the older P229 SAS frames (which you're 100-percent correct in that those are the best! Big Grin), it appears some of those older SAS frames have the same beginning 'B' serial as the regular P228, which I always thought was curious.

Posts: 237 | Registered: January 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's good to know. I forgot to add, since you mentioned the P228 slides married to the older P229 SAS frames (which you're 100-percent correct in that those are the best! Big Grin), it appears some of those older SAS frames have the same beginning 'B' serial as the regular P228, which I always thought was curious.

Yes, it almost seems like, "Hey now, we have a few P228-numbered SAS frames left over. Let's grab some P229 slides and slap them on", you know? Who knows what SIG does. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The is really hard to beat. Looks good, shoots good, seems to fight holster wear good. I much prefer the legacy slide. Have debated selling mine a few times and never have been able to.

Posts: 177 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking gun. Enjoy it.

Posts: 814 | Location: IL along the Illinois River | Registered: February 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes, it almost seems like, "Hey now, we have a few P228-numbered SAS frames left over. Let's grab some P229 slides and slap them on", you know? Who knows what SIG does. Big Grin

You couldn't be more correct, sir.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Virginia sheepdog:
The is really hard to beat. Looks good, shoots good, seems to fight holster wear good. I much prefer the legacy slide. Have debated selling mine a few times and never have been able to.

I agree wholeheartedly on your observations. I should never have sold my other one, but I remember the reason why; it was to help fund a European/North Africa trip a few years back. There were a few others I let go, too, but those I don't really regret. Just glad it's back.

posted Hide Post
Very nice, but I'm biased. Since I have to travel light and travel far, and use factory ammo, I found it my 1st choice in 9mm as both a carry and match gun. I've been using a Sig 229 SAS Gen 2 for several years. About a year ago, I shot a match with the Sig and then re shot the match with one of my old and well used 1911 match 45's. My score was better with the Sig.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post