SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    220br3-46-bss-sao Govt Contract over run gun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

220br3-46-bss-sao Govt Contract over run gun Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone remember about 2008 Sig made a few P220 SAO carry models with a full bevertail for a undisclosed Govt to test and evaluate?
Model 220br3-46-bss-sao.....

Does anyone remember these and wasn’t it the British SAS? Anyone?

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
British SAS?

Yes it was, but that was all rumor with no confirmation, which I don't lend a whole lotta weight to.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a very small run. I heard an over seas govt...

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/2360021944

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I heard the same thing, but even then it was just rumor and innuendo by people selling them. It was always Gov't Contract Overrun???? type thing.

I don't think we'll ever know.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one. I have noticed there are two versions of this pistol.
One has the internal extractor with the hole on the right side of the slide on the rear serrations.
One has the short external extractor, no hole in the slide.
Not sure if both bear the same model number 220BR3-45-BSS-SAO. But both have the extended beaver tail and light rail.

It appears this may have the SAS treatment to it as well.

Would be curious to know how many were produced and whom they were produced for. I found a New Jersey State Police parts list that had a P220 SAO listed as a department issued weapon. But who knows.
Quite the shooter this one is. Wouldn't trade for this one.

P220,P220Euro, P220 SAO, P228,
SIG-AR-Glock-M&P,870 Armorer NRA Life Member

Posts: 155 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love that gun

Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
mine is my favorite 220 I have
serial #399 666. Sig did tell me that it was a rare combo and most likely a govt contract but they wouldn't/couldn't tell me for whom.

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bud’s has a bunch of those for about ~$550 back in the day when I lived in Lexington. Still kick myself for not getting one and am always on the lookout for one.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
I've only seen mine and one other in person.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I heard it was for a South American contract. Right after these CDNN had 220 SAO compacts with the beavertail and aluminum grips as well as the Fullsize SAO’s also with aluminum grips but no tails.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These were made up for the British military . A special group which I’m assuming is their SAS. For whatever reason this P220 was not chosen.

Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
Dusty78, you mean one like this?? Smile