SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions on the CZ97
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on the CZ97 Login/Join 
posted
A few months ago, one of the distributors got a batch of CZ97s in and I decided to order a batch for our shop. They've sold, but very slowly even during these irrational times (mostly because everyone and their mother is fixated on 9mm). The more I fondle the thing, the more I kinda want one. It's almost to the point where I'd even give up my HIPAA rights, which since one year ago to this day one has to agree to do as a prospective handgun buyer in WA State. But I DO like the idea of government--especially one as leaky and security-flawed as our state's is--not having free access to anything about me, so I'm rather torn.

Is the CZ97 worth that kind of cost? It really IS one seductive pistola...and I haven't bought a handgun in well over a year now...

*edited for the model name. Stupid me.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
CZ97 is a very nice pistol, and can be slicked up/accurized even more by CZCustoms or Cajun gunworks (personal exerience).

Is it worth complying with Washington's astoundingly, incredibly infringing requirements?

Your decision.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like most CZs is a good, well-made, ergonomic if you have the hand-size gun.

Like most CZs, it can typically use a little tender loving care by skilled hands to reach it's potential.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The CZ 97 is a good gun, I just think it's overly big (physically). I just had a CZ75 done by czcustom and they did it very fast and it's phenomenal. You can also buy a CZ97 already done up by cajun gun works or czcustom.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the CZ97 worth that kind of cost?
Hard to answer that question without knowing how much "that kind of cost" is.

I have a CZ97BD and I like it. I like the way it feels. I like the way it shoots and I like the great deal I got when I bought it. The deal is mostly what made me buy the gun

I have been shooting the large frame CZ design pistols for over 25 years now so I am very used to them. Most all of my large frames are the Tangfolio pistols imported by EAA. I have one 38 Super and the rest are all 45 ACP or 10MM Auto

Some of the more recent offerings from EAA are truly outstanding guns at a very reasonable pricing based on their performance

The most spectacular CZ pattern gun I have ever shot comes from Switzerland. It used to be imported by Magnum Research as the "One Pro"

It does not look real CZ, once you get passed that boxy look, yo will be amazed. The pistol is CZ lock work on the inside. However, the DA pull is hardly any different than the SA pull and the accuracy is fantastic.

BTW, all of these 45 ACP large frame CZ pattern pistols use the same 10 round magazine as the CZ97 family of pistols

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Yes.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We own a 97B and consider it excellent. It is a big stable platform for launching .45ACP ordnance, making it relatively easy to shoot well; and ours has been 100% reliable. Our only complaints are its size and that it is "limited" to 10 rounds capacity.

As to whether or not a 97 is worth divulging private medical information to some State bureaucrat in order to obtain, that call is yours and yours alone, but we would be "uneasy" with such a proposition. Thankful that no such nonsensical laws (yet) exist in Texas...

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Cajunized 97 that is one of my favorite 45s. Soft shooting, crazy accurate. Great pistol--you should get one, or two.

Posts: 45 | Registered: June 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are great pistols and I'd usually be all for getting one. However, if it (or any gun) is worth complying with whatever crappy laws they have now in WA is not something I (or anybody but you) can answer.

Only downside to them I've seen is size. I have a friend with short fingers that just can't get on the trigger in any decent way, at least as they are stock. You've held one so would know if it's an issue for you.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your a 45ACP fan, then get one.
The big CZ is a very nice way to launch 45ACP pills.
The closest I have to CZ97 is a 10mm Tanfo Stock III and it's a sex machine.

Smile

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for your opinions regarding the big CZ.

I've lusted after this gun for a long while; it just seems like a great punctuation mark to the rest of my CZ pistols. Also seems like a worthy range companion to my 1911s and steel P220s. The basic problem was that I never got around to buying one before the rules changed.

Maybe I'm being too paranoid. But the anti-gun crowd in this state have already tried to get government records of conceal carry holders (unsuccessful so far). So when the state starts freely accessing and then keeping medical records of gun owners there's no doubt in my mind that those lefties will try to sue for that info as well; after all they were the ones who crafted that into the initiative that created this stinking law. Once that first pistol application form has been signed under the current obscene law, the gun owner has surrendered that right to privacy, from that point on and presumptively until death, presumably with little to no recourse to keep any of that information private if the policy enforcers down the road decide for that evil side.

So yes, I'm trying my best to weigh my 'want' for the 97 vs that 'want' to keep myself as private as possible. A very tough call.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Thanks all for your opinions regarding the big CZ.

I've lusted after this gun for a long while; it just seems like a great punctuation mark to the rest of my CZ pistols. Also seems like a worthy range companion to my 1911s and steel P220s. The basic problem was that I never got around to buying one before the rules changed.

Maybe I'm being too paranoid. But the anti-gun crowd in this state have already tried to get government records of conceal carry holders (unsuccessful so far). So when the state starts freely accessing and then keeping medical records of gun owners there's no doubt in my mind that those lefties will try to sue for that info as well; after all they were the ones who crafted that into the initiative that created this stinking law. Once that first pistol application form has been signed under the current obscene law, the gun owner has surrendered that right to privacy, from that point on and presumptively until death, presumably with little to no recourse to keep any of that information private if the policy enforcers down the road decide for that evil side.

So yes, I'm trying my best to weigh my 'want' for the 97 vs that 'want' to keep myself as private as possible. A very tough call.

Enjoy yourself. You're 1 of millions of gun owners in your state. If you're gonna do it, you might as well do it right!

You need one of these: Big Grin

https://czcustom.com/new-firea...cz-97b-comp-blk.html

https://cajungunworks.com/prod...-97-b-manual-safety/

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I really don’t need another .45acp, or any more DA/SA pistols. Now a SAO 97 with a light rail that can handle .45 super or .450 SMC would be interesting.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
buy it. Had one and sold it recently only because I never shot it. Then sue to State!

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 373 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still want one in 10mm but CZ says they won't be making one. A mistake on their part IMO especially since the 10 has become popular again.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had my 97b for close to 18 years. It’s a large handgun but it’s also one of the most accurate, out of the box 45 autos I’ve owned and or fired. Well worth the money IMHO.

Next best thing I did besides buying the gun was buying a bunch of the EAA Witness mags to go with it. They function perfectly and at least back then were cheaper than the CZ mags are easier to find.

Posts: 90 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
I still want one in 10mm but CZ says they won't be making one. A mistake on their part IMO especially since the 10 has become popular again.

CZ Custom makes them.
https://czcustom.com/new-firea...-pistols-custom.html

Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
One of only a few of my guns I bought new. Have had it since 2008, won't sell it.
It's up there with a nice 1911 or USP45 in terms of accuracy, at least for me. Really soft shooting too.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought 97BD this year and installed a few CGW parts in it along with a match grade threaded barrel. It damn near shoots itself, it’s a delight to shoot and it’s smooth. I’ve done a few things to mine, but nothing as radical as some do. They really don’t need much to take them to the next level.

I looked at them for years but always thought the grip was too big, mine came with thin grips but oddly enough I took them off and put on the stock rubber grips. Much better now, even with the thicker grips. I don’t have big paws but I can still shoot the gun incredibly well.

Posts: 472 | Location: Montgomery County, PA | Registered: December 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I looked at them for years but always thought the grip was too big, mine came with thin grips but oddly enough I took them off and put on the stock rubber grips. Much better now, even with the thicker grips. I don’t have big paws but I can still shoot the gun incredibly well.

I initially felt the same. At first glance it would seem that my smallish hands would be overwhelmed by this gun. But I know better; since I can handle a girthy 92FS in DA, this one's ergonomics is a relative cake walk. Those thin grips that the current 97 ships with--reminiscent in shape and design to the angled panels that comes on the 75 Shadow 2--fit well in my hands, even perhaps to the point that they feel a little TOO thin. I too was also thinking that the contoured rubber grips like my SP-01 came with might be an even better fit.

Almost there...but damn I hate Olympia, the state AG and the torment they cause. But it does seemed so long since I last bought a pistol. Big Grin

-MG