SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Can someone explain the P320 double click in the trigger?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can someone explain the P320 double click in the trigger? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I guess the bottom line is that its NOT an issue???

Posts: 166 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not an issue unless you have failure of trigger reset in live fire.

If you do, send the pistol back to SIG and they will modify the trigger bar, or install a new one.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ddown
posted Hide Post
My 320c got back from SIG they said all they replaced was striker spring. And entire gun tested to spec included box top from 50round of Speer Lawman 124gr ammo for test firing. I've noticed no double clicks, shot 100 rounds with perfect function. I'll put at least 300-400 more through before I have my confidence back in this pistol. It seems tighter in the trigger action IMHO.

Posts: 17 | Location: MI | Registered: February 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JackCo
posted Hide Post
The trigger double click is said to be normal. This refers to an audible double click we hear when dry firing many P320’s. Is it really normal; well, allow me to share my experiences and observations. Among my many pistols I have seven P320’s, four Full, two Sub-Compacts and one Carry. The first three purchased (2015) had audible double clicks with distinctive trigger travel between clicks and the last four (4) purchased (after November 2016) had no audible double click. All Fire Control Assemblies are interchangeable (after updating the Slide Catch Levers on the two oldest). One of the Sub-Compacts with the audible Double Click had repeated Fail to Fire episodes.

We all now understand that all P320s click twice in dry and live fire. The first click is the Striker Release and the second is the Sear Reset. Trigger pull and Trigger Bar travel causes both clicks, BUT the timing and distance between “clicks” is critical. Most appropriately these clicks happen so closely that there is only a single audible click. In those P320’s with audible Double Clicks an audible second click in Live Fire is rare and hardly noticeable. BUT, using a P320 where it does occur, there is a very short timing opportunity for a Reset Failure; thereby, setting up the next trigger pull for Fail to Fire. This Reset Failure is stipulated on the trigger being released immediately after firing and before the Sear Reset. Engineering logic would dictate that the shock of firing would be sufficient to move the Trigger Bar across the Sear (Reset); however, in some P320’s the tolerances are just too broad. When I examined the Fire Control Assemblies on the most recently purchased P320’s I saw evidence of glossy polished surfaces on the Trigger Bar and mating surfaces at the Sear Assembly. These were brand new P320’s from Sig Sauer.

Conclusion, an audible Double Click, is a sign that timing tolerances need adjustment. Many things affect timing tolerances and this is best checked out at Sig Sauer; however, I broke down and carefully hand polished the Trigger Bars and mating surfaces on the three P320’s with the audible Double Click including the Fail to Fire P320. Surface materials were not removed just highly polished to match the glossy appearance observed on the new P320’s.

The result was surprising. The Double Click is gone on all and the Fail to Reset, Fail to Fire also gone.

Respectfully submitted,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JackCo,

Posts: 1 | Location: Mechanicsville, VA | Registered: March 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JackCo:
The trigger double click is said to be normal. This refers to an audible double click we hear when dry firing many P320’s. Is it really normal; well, allow me to share my experiences and observations. Among my many pistols I have seven P320’s, four Full, two Sub-Compacts and one Carry. The first three purchased (2015) had audible double clicks with distinctive trigger travel between clicks and the last four (4) purchased (after November 2016) had no audible double click. All Fire Control Assemblies are interchangeable (after updating the Slide Catch Levers on the two oldest). One of the Sub-Compacts with the audible Double Click had repeated Fail to Fire episodes.

We all now understand that all P320s click twice in dry and live fire. The first click is the Striker Release and the second is the Sear Reset. Trigger pull and Trigger Bar travel causes both clicks, BUT the timing and distance between “clicks” is critical. Most appropriately these clicks happen so closely that there is only a single audible click. In those P320’s with audible Double Clicks an audible second click in Live Fire is rare and hardly noticeable. BUT, using a P320 where it does occur, there is a very short timing opportunity for a Reset Failure; thereby, setting up the next trigger pull for Fail to Fire. This Reset Failure is stipulated on the trigger being released immediately after firing and before the Sear Reset. Engineering logic would dictate that the shock of firing would be sufficient to move the Trigger Bar across the Sear (Reset); however, in some P320’s the tolerances are just too broad. When I examined the Fire Control Assemblies on the most recently purchased P320’s I saw evidence of glossy polished surfaces on the Trigger Bar and mating surfaces at the Sear Assembly. These were brand new P320’s from Sig Sauer.

Conclusion, an audible Double Click, is a sign that timing tolerances need adjustment. I broke down and carefully hand polished the Trigger Bars and mating surfaces on the three P320’s with the audible Double Click including the Fail to Fire P320. Surface materials were not removed just highly polished to match the glossy appearance observed on the new P320’s.
Now all my P320’s have no audible double click and fire perfectly.

Respectfully submitted,

Nice detailed write-up/explanation.

tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I installed the PELT trigger in my P320 F9. The double click is much more noticeable, now.

I like the rest of the trigger action so I'm prepared to ignore it.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post