SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger Blackhawk Variant Clarification
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Blackhawk Variant Clarification Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I'm currently looking for a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible...jury is still out on whether I want it in .357/9mm or 45 Colt/45ACP. I know I want a 4 5/8 barrel, and I prefer stainless, but I have a couple of questions.

1. I hear the blued Blackhawks have an alloy grip frame and ejector housing, while the stainless ones are all steel. Is that true? Has it always been so, or can you find older blued guns that are all steel? I like the extra weight that an all-steel platform provides, and I imagine with a blued gun, alloy parts are going to wear at a different rate than blued steel, resulting in ugliness over time.

2. What's the deal with the new "flat top" models that seem to be everywhere these days? I understand that it's a throwback to more classic single-action lines, but if I'm understanding correctly, it's a smaller, lighter ("medium"?) frame than the traditional Blackhawk models. Is my understanding correct? I'm not sure I want that, as I'm a handloader and the reason I love Rugers is their over-the-top construction and durability. That, and I believe a single-action revolver ought to be a big, beefy, hand-filling chunk of metal.

Can any of our single-action experts clarify the differences here?

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I am not the expert you seek. The stainless Rugers are all steel. I have never seen a flat top in stainless. So, if you prefer stainless, then go stainless and worry no more.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Yep...the blued Blackhawks do have alloy grip frames and ejector housings...the stainless models are all steel. I have the .45 convertibles in 5.5" and over the years of cowboy action the ejector covers have worn from holstering and the grip frames have a few small chips off the bottom edges (I just painted them in with some Testor model paint).

I still shoot them from time to time but have "retired" them from regular CAS and have been using SS Bisley framed .45 Colt Blackhawks for the last 11-12 years...I do prefer the all steel parts of the stainless guns...

As far as sights...it's just a throwback to the earlier design and look...I've never known anyone who downloaded for the flat tops...

As far as the lighter frames...the Blackhawks and older Vaquaros still use the same frames (with sight differences)...the Vaquaro did start using a lighter more Colt like frame awhile back...

As a side note...Ruger offers the Bisley .45 in the convertible model thru various distributors ...but I have only seen them in 5.5" barrels...

You will really enjoy the Blackhawk...

Jeff Quinn over at Gunblast.com has some good info on the frame evolution and changes...

http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I have a New Model Blackhawk Flat Top in .357 Magnum/9mm (item 5247). This is an all stainless revolver with the streamlined XR-3 grip frame. The barrel length is 5 1/2". As an added bonus, the New Model Flat Tops are equipped with a reverse indexing cylinder which speeds unloading by allowing you to reverse rotation of the cylinder, automatically aligning a chamber with the ejector rod & loading gate cutout.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Not to go too OT, but is anyone selling blued steel Bisley grip frames?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I'd go with Stainless, personally!

DSCN1851 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard that the newer blued Blackhawks have steel frames and steel ejector rod housings now. Is this info correct?

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I asked Ruger CS that question today, and her response was "yes". However, that seems to be the result of what she's reading off of the online catalogue, which says the revolvers are made of "alloy steel" without specifying a different material in addition to the alloy steel or specifically identifying the grip frame material.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
I heard that the newer blued Blackhawks have steel frames and steel ejector rod housings now. Is this info correct?
Just checked on a 45 convertible flat top made around Aug 2011 a magnet sticks to grip frame, frame, and ejector rod housing. So yes you are correct.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I'm currently looking for a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible...jury is still out on whether I want it in .357/9mm or 45 Colt/45ACP. I know I want a 4 5/8 barrel, and I prefer stainless, but I have a couple of questions.

1. I hear the blued Blackhawks have an alloy grip frame and ejector housing, while the stainless ones are all steel. Is that true? Has it always been so, or can you find older blued guns that are all steel? I like the extra weight that an all-steel platform provides, and I imagine with a blued gun, alloy parts are going to wear at a different rate than blued steel, resulting in ugliness over time. Don't know about way way back but older blue ones used aluminum alloy newer ones went to steel when they went to the med frame.

2. What's the deal with the new "flat top" models that seem to be everywhere these days? I understand that it's a throwback to more classic single-action lines, but if I'm understanding correctly, it's a smaller, lighter ("medium"?) frame than the traditional Blackhawk models. Is my understanding correct? I'm not sure I want that, as I'm a handloader and the reason I love Rugers is their over-the-top construction and durability. That, and I believe a single-action revolver ought to be a big, beefy, hand-filling chunk of metal. Yes you are correct. But the medium frame started around 2005 in the Ruger Vaquero and transitioned into other models over a few year time frame. Have you thought about a New model Super Blackhawk 44 mag ?

https://www.ruger.com/products...specSheets/0814.html

Can any of our single-action experts clarify the differences here?

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Check out Libseys Ruger Blackhawk in 10mm/40S&W.

https://lipseysguns.com/ruger-...khawk-10mm-revolver/

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
My blued Flattop .44 mag has a Steel gripframe.
And so did the other calibers at the shop.

New Vaquero and the .44spcl Flattop have frames that are not "Ruger tough" accommodating hotter reloads.

New Vaquero provile is more in lines with the Colt SAA and the .44spcl leverages the mild nature of the cartridge to be used in a more svelt frame.

If you want magnum performance, go Magnum and don't worry.

If you want to push reloads, by a New Blackhawk model with the rear sight boss.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you thought about a New model Super Blackhawk 44 mag ?

If they made Super Blackhawk Convertibles, I'd be all over one in .45, but unfortunately they don't. I don't want a .44.

I'm actually still torn between getting the .357/9mm and the .45 Colt/45 ACP. I've kinda standardized my collection around 9mm, have numerous handguns chambered in it, and load a ton of it. I also already own several .357 revolvers. I don't currently own any .45 ACP guns, but I have a ton of brass and feel like its time to branch out. I want a 1911 at some point, and maybe a P220 if the right deal comes along at the right time.

The .45 Blackhawk convertible can eat the same ammo as the autos, and with the .45 Colt cylinder I'll have the potential to load all the way up to .44 mag levels if I want/need to. A revolver chambered in .44 won't offer that same versatility.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Handled a convertible at the LGS today...new manufacture, not used. It's not a flat-top (which is good, as I want the large frame), but it definitely has an alloy grip frame, and the finish visibly differs from the rest of the gun. Not sure about the ejector rod housing...it looks pretty similar to the barrel. I left it there...but I may go pick it up tomorrow if I can't talk myself out of it.

I know the alloy grip frame isn't a problem. Ruger has been using them forever, and the Blackhawk has a reputation for being solid. Its just the principal of the thing...

The plastic grips will have to go, too. Not sure who thought that was a good idea, but they're way too thin and feel cheap. The trigger and action were excellent, though.