SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best .22LR semi-auto for a kid
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best .22LR semi-auto for a kid Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
While I love my Ruger Mk series guns and love the Buckmarks and Victories I've shot, if your looking to mimic a full size handgun they're really not the best in that department. A S&W M&Pc 22 (the 'c' is important as the full size is not made by S&W), a Ruger SR22, or Walter PPQ M2 might best fit the bill. Not the most accurate in the .22 handgun world, but able to ease him into centerfire pistols with them. Once he's confident and has some experience under his belt you could step up to one of the higher end .22s.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys...some good suggestions here. My brother has an SR22, and I've shot it and like it. Unfortunately he moved to No VA a few years ago so having my son try his out is a no-go due to distance. Also, the last one I saw locally was well over $300. For those who have shot both, how does the SR22 compare to the M&P 22c in build quality and reliability? I was impressed by the SR22...but I know nothing about the M&P.

I've also seen a number of miniature 1911s in .22...I think branded Browning and Colt. Do those manufacturers actually make them, or is it just branding-licensed junk?

I see whatever we get as pretty much just a stepping stone to centerfire handguns, as I'm sure it will only be a year or two before he wants to make that jump. But I have three other kids younger than him, so I'm sure whatever I buy will see a decent amount of use.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Like SIGM4 said, if you get the M&P, make sure it is the COMPACT version. It's better than the full size.

My son (10) and daughter (14) started with the M&P Compact in .22. My daughter had some limp wristing issues with it and it kept failing to cycle. I also had some issues running it suppressed. I ended up getting them the SW22 Victory (instead of the Ruger) and they love it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
You already got the centerfire aspect covered with your 75B. To me the natural, best fitting transitioning trainer is the Kadet kit. I truly enjoy my Victory and Buck Mark and they do offer some variety given their differing manual of arms from the CZ, but I guess I'm seeing the rimfire as more of a stepping stone to transitioning to the more high power centerfire world. Your Single-Six can provide the ample variety. The M&P22C may save you $100 over the Kadet kit, but I do think that the kit offers more as a training tool for the bigger realm of centerfire, particularly in the context that your son will be learning in. Plus I do like how the Kadet works and feels in relation to its bigger caliber siblings.

Unless of course you're planning on a centerfire M&P down the road... Wink

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just picked up a 2nd buck mark. a 5.5 inch camper. my 9 year old loves my 7 inch lightweight buck mark. we have a friend with land and he likes to shoot multiple targets of AR500 hanging rounds.

if the camper is too heavy i will get a tac sol barrel for it. Ruger too impossible to get in CA, so I'm down with buck mark

Posts: 4756 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Beretta 87, if you can find one. Perfect combination of ease of use, kid-friendly size and mags, std. take-down and re-assembly, etc. etc.

I've used mine to train both daughters and waiting to get granddaughter #1 out to the range (she's only 5). But she already knows about guns and can check and clear the Beretta. Good thing her Mommy doesn't know she knows, tho'. Wink

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by evolution:
I'll get flamed for this but for a 9 year old I would definitely skip the Ruger Mk and the Browning Buck Mark.

For a youngster I really like the S&W M&P or Ruger SR22.

What ever you do, don't just run out and buy one. Let him hold several and let him tell you what feels and looks good to him. And yes, at that age how it looks does play.

Excellent advice here.

+1

Posts: 82 | Registered: May 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
Ruger SR22 or the Beretta NEOS. I know there is not necessarily a lot of love here for the NEOS, primarily due to its looks, but it is a fun, reliable and accurate plinker.

I second the recommendation for a NEOS.

1.) Eats whatever you feed it

2.) Easily changed, different length barrels available

3. ) Simple disassembly/reassembly

4.) Exceptionally reliable

I looked at, handled, fired, researched many of the .22 pistols on the market and spoke with all sorts of folks who owned them to get their feedback of the various brands. While this was never a top priority for me, I always kept my eyes peeled for the one .22 pistol that was user friendly in all aspects and wasn't picky about certain brands of .22 ammo.

The NEOS is the only way to go, as far as I'm concerned.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
Beretta 87, if you can find one. Perfect combination of ease of use, kid-friendly size and mags, std. take-down and re-assembly, etc. etc.

I've used mine to train both daughters and waiting to get granddaughter #1 out to the range (she's only 5). But she already knows about guns and can check and clear the Beretta. Good thing her Mommy doesn't know she knows, tho'. Wink

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

Hey! Great seeing ya back here!

It's been a long time since the Bruce Gray class/Michael Bane birthday party at SIG. Smile

( Apologies to the OP for the thread drift. )

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beretta 71? It is simple, compact, and if I was a bit more comfortable with the thought of my 4 year old daughter firing, it does fit in her hand.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I've got a Walther PPQ in 22LR that is fantastic. I put over 1,000 through with no cleaning. It feels like a "real gun" and is full size.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
SR22
Ruger Mark III
Buckmark.
Really cant go wrong with any of these. The S&W Victory gets good reviews, but I have not shot it.

I agree.

My favorite of the group is the Buckmark.

I'd really like to get my hands on a victory to run a few rounds through.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I'm not in the market for a .22 plinker, but if I was it would be the Browning 1911-22. An 85% 1911!

http://www.browning.com/produc...pistols/1911-22.html

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought an SR22 for my son to shoot, which he first shot when he was an 'older' 7.

Although he likes shooting it, and he shoots it well, he enjoys shooting his Bearcat even more! He says that the single-action hammer cocking with each shot is 'cool'!

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I'm not in the market for a .22 plinker, but if I was it would be the Browning 1911-22. An 85% 1911!

http://www.browning.com/produc...pistols/1911-22.html

I've seen these, but know nothing about them. Are they actually made by Browning, and are they any good?

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I've read several generally-positive reviews on the web. It sounds as though the pistol is indeed designed and made by Browning.

From one of those reviews:

… “It isn’t fair!” he said. “That gun is perfect. It is the perfect gun to teach a kid how to really shoot.” He picked up the A1, lined up on the plate at 70 yards, and pulled the trigger. Pop. Pause. Ping. “Now there are going to be generations of shooters who learn on single actions.” …

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post