SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best .22LR semi-auto for a kid
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best .22LR semi-auto for a kid Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
Ever since I got my range membership, my oldest son has been coming along with me a lot more frequently. He's a big kid...9yo, but over 100lbs. He's been shooting .22 rifle for years, but is very recoil shy so he's hesitant to shoot anything centerfire, or handguns in general. I finally talked him into trying my single-six a couple of weeks ago, and he loved it.

So now I'm looking for a decent .22lr semi-auto to start him out on. I'd love a kadet conversion kit for my CZ75 D compact, but those are going for over $400 Eek! With the current deals on the S&W M&P series, I've seen M&P .22s locally for under $300, but I've never been a fan of the M&P. I do like how it mimics the look and feel of a "real" gun, though, as I'm sure this is just a stepping stone for him into centerfire shooting.

What have some of you used to teach your kids/grandkids to shoot handgun?

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the Ruger Mark III. Since the IV is out, the prices are dropping on the III's. The 22/45 base model is pretty reasonable, lightweight, accurate, and easy to learn on.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I see a Kadet kit for $395 Wink. At least they are available. They will sell and then we'll have to wait for the next batch. It sounds like you may be looking for something like the Ruger SR22 or the SW M&P22. Imo, a ruger mkii 22/45 is what I would put in my nephew or niece's hand-trigger wise. Have fun Smile

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Nothing wrong with the Ruger Mark III. Since the IV is out, the prices are dropping on the III's. The 22/45 base model is pretty reasonable, lightweight, accurate, and easy to learn on.

I hear those are terrible to take down, though...

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the Browning Buckmark pistols. There are some models that are pretty reasonably priced.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

I hear those are terrible to take down, though...

Take down is easy Big Grin . Seriously, they aren't that bad.

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Take down is easy. Reassembly takes some practice on the Ruger.

If I had to do it again, I'd go Buckmark. Mainly, as the magazines are the same through the years and the frame is serialized rather than the upper so it's easy to add a TacSol barrel unlike Ruger.

I am looking at a S&W Victory.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SR22
Ruger Mark III
Buckmark.
Really cant go wrong with any of these. The S&W Victory gets good reviews, but I have not shot it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bersa Thunder is a bit smaller and lighter, possibly more kid-friendly.

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 11 year old loves the Beretta M9-22. It's the only 22 with 15rd mags.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend a mark IV ruger

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the Ruger Mark IV or S&W victory would be good choices. Easy takedown and both are good quality. Very accurate.;,

Posts: 987 | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I got a Ruger SR22 for my boys. I haven't let them shoot it yet but I love it and it's pretty easy to take apart and clean.

It only costs around $300 and has ran flawlessly for me the 5 or 6 times I've shot it thus far.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Walther PPQ M2 - 22LR
Ruger Mark II if you can find one.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Ruger SR22. No recoil to speak of, has DA/SA trigger. I own the Buckmark as well, but shoot the Ruger much more.

The Ruger has the advantage of an easier transition to centerfire pistols. Let us know which you choose.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
I'll get flamed for this but for a 9 year old I would definitely skip the Ruger Mk and the Browning Buck Mark.

For a youngster I really like the S&W M&P or Ruger SR22.

What ever you do, don't just run out and buy one. Let him hold several and let him tell you what feels and looks good to him. And yes, at that age how it looks does play.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the Browning Buckmark

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Buckmark.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Ruger SR22 or the Beretta NEOS. I know there is not necessarily a lot of love here for the NEOS, primarily due to its looks, but it is a fun, reliable and accurate plinker.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2387 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love my Ruger SR 22. Very little recoil and comfortable in a small hand.

Posts: 13 | Registered: December 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post