SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Streamlite TLR-7 any thoughts?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Streamlite TLR-7 any thoughts? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
My only question though is what is the point of the high vs. low switch? Just a personal preference thing, or is there some other consideration to choosing high vs. low?
Well, keep in mind the variety of pistols on which this WML will be mounted. I suppose the two different styles of switch are intended to accomodate the various pistols.

The one I buy will be mounted on a G19, so it's a no-brainer to choose the high switch model. Despite the styling of the switch, with the serrations or grooves or whatever you want to call them, it appears that the light is activated by a press forward, not downward. I think on the high switch version, they simply left these grooves on the switch as a matter of styling, but where you're pressing it is at the rear, as with the other TLR models, or the Surefire X models.

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I’m in for a couple high switch models.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
My only question though is what is the point of the high vs. low switch? Just a personal preference thing, or is there some other consideration to choosing high vs. low?
Well, keep in mind the variety of pistols on which this WML will be mounted. I suppose the two different styles of switch are intended to accomodate the various pistols.

The one I buy will be mounted on a G19, so it's a no-brainer to choose the high switch model. Despite the styling of the switch, with the serrations or grooves or whatever you want to call them, it appears that the light is activated by a press forward, not downward. I think on the high switch version, they simply left these grooves on the switch as a matter of styling, but where you're pressing it is at the rear, as with the other TLR models, or the Surefire X models.

Cool. Thank you. I'm thinking this will go on either a P320 Carry, VP9, CZP10 or Beretta PX4. I'll keep an eye out.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Slugo
posted Hide Post
Streamlight's are the only ones I use!

Posts: 59 | Registered: June 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Soldier Systems was the first website to announce the new version of this light, back in May. I've been performing web searches each day in anticipation of getting a peek at the high switch version of the light. I realize that I'm probably a month or more ahead of actual distribution of the new version of the TLR-7, but it looks like this is it.

TLR-7AL in the foreground. TLR-7AH in the background

I'm gonna be all over that ASAP.

That does look good.

Posts: 5157 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Both models have the pivot pin/point at the top of the switch and it looks like the bottom half of the switch is the contact end, unless I'm looking at it wrong.

Posts: 3445 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And according to this page, the new version of the TLR7 was developed for the USSS, for the G19 gen5 MOS, though they cite "unnamed" sources, so this should be taken with a grain of salt.

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen a lot of stresmlight WML’s fail in training classes but to be fair most were TLR1s and other older models. I love their handheld lights though. For a WML, I stick with surefire.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm a Surefire man, but since they failed to develop the single CR123 battery version WML they showed in prototype form at SHOT a few years back, I'm banking on Streamlight's TLR7 for G19 use. I have Surefire's first model XC-1, but if you ask me, it's kind of a dog. I know they have a newer model with more light utput and I know the XC-1 has some fans in this forum, but, uh, woof.
I keep a Surefire X300 on my G17, but to me, the TLR7 with the new switch is a much better choice than the XC-1 for the G19. Not only is the XC-1 underpowered, I also hate the mounting system.

Perhaps now with the increasing success and development of the TLR-7, Surefire will stop screwing around and develop a single C123 WML for G19-sized pistols, instead of the pooch they dumped on us with teh XC-1.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I’ve seen a lot of stresmlight WML’s fail in training classes but to be fair most were TLR1s and other older models. I love their handheld lights though. For a WML, I stick with surefire.

Funny, my experience is the opposite. I've never had trouble with any of my TLR-1 lights of various models, and have never seen one fail in any of my classes. But I've seen several Surefire X300s have issues, primarily with broken mounts.

And Surefire's XC1s were problematic from the start. I had two that failed within weeks of getting them, with electronic issues that caused massive battery drain, which was apparently a very common issue with the XC1-As. I wasn't a big fan of the whole package anyway, so when they were replaced with the improved -Bs by Surefire Customer Service, I ditched them altogether.

I will say that Streamlight's plastic TLR-3s have issues. The polymer bodies just aren't durable enough, and have a habit of shearing when subjected to hard use. They've reportedly addressed this with the newer TLR-3s, but I'd still be hesitant to use one for serious purposes. And now that the TLR-7 will be available with decent switches, there's no reason to go with the TLR-3 anymore anyway.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
And Surefire's XC1s were problematic from the start. I had two that failed within weeks of getting them, with electronic issues that caused massive battery drain, which was apparently a very common issue with the early XC1s.
Yes, I have an early XC-1 and it eats batteries.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I shudder to say this because I know the minute I do they will all self destruct as if on command but......

I have had exceptional luck with my Streamlight TLR’s from a first gen 1 to the current 7. Never used any of the polymer bodied ones not ones with laser but mine have been solid and get “shot” on all the guns with them. Same with my Surefire weapon lights.

For me the best thing about the TLR7 is the front loading battery. Hopefully the new switches will make it near perfect.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7668 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have long fingers, and never had or used a WML before buying a TLR-7. I have no problems with the system whatsoever. Having said that, I will be curious enough to try one of these with the paddles, just in case I should find it to be more ergonomically suited to me.

Posts: 13676 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I bought a TLR-2 a few months ago, and the little switch that selects light/laser/both started acting intermittent within a few days. I go to select just the laser but I get just the light. If I select both, I get just the light. So either the switch is fubar or the laser itself is intermittent (sometimes it works for a while and then cuts out again).

Posts: 7260 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you contacted the mothership on that? They have a good warranty and are responsive. You hate to have to use the warranty, but at least it's there.

Posts: 5157 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Streamlight posted these to their social media today and they are now on the Streamlight website. I do not find them listed anywhere just yet, though.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
WooHoo!

Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Just when I thought I'd never replace a perfectly good piece of gear (original TLR-7).

I warmed up to the original switches, and don't think they're all that bad, but prefer the rocker type on my TLR-1HL and -3.

Thanks, Streamlight, for taking more of my money. Big Grin

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, so, looking at the info sheet for the TLR7A, it appears that both switches will be provided with the light, which, I guess, would be the only practical way to go about it.

TLR-7A FLEX – Includes LOW SWITCH and HIGH SWITCH, lithium battery, and key kit – Black

And even thugh it does appear that Streamlight intends for users to push on the top of the high switch, I have news for them- that flat portion at the back of the high switch is likely where everyone will press, and that includes me.

But, if, when I get the light, it doesn't work out the way I intend, I'll have the low switch to use instead. Per the manual, "The LO and HI tail switches are interchangeable by removing the tail screws using a 5/64” hex wrench."