SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Streamlite TLR-7 any thoughts?
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Streamlite TLR-7 any thoughts? Login/Join 
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Overall I'm pleased with the TLR-7A.

My only minor complaints are the fit of the plastic (doesn't feel like glass reinforced polymer to me) switch module to the aluminum body. I think the 4 screws used on the TLR-7 was a little better than the 3 screw setup on the TLR-7A.

The other minor thing is the tactility of the switch. I don't mean the external surface, but more the feeling of the spring inside. It sort of feels like I'm clicking my mouse button, which is odd to me coming from TLR-1, TLR-3, etc.

Overall I like the size, the lock out feature, optional strobe, battery type, neutral white emitter (can't tell what it is due to the TIR) and the several rail keys included.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
The other minor thing is the tactility of the switch. I don't mean the external surface, but more the feeling of the spring inside. It sort of feels like I'm clicking my mouse button, which is odd to me coming from TLR-1, TLR-3, etc.

I actually like the more tactile switch on the 7A compared to the mushy toggle switch on the rest of my 1s.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I should have elaborated a bit more. I'm not saying I don't like the firmness or crispness of the feel. It just feels more like the clicky switch on a gas station '9 LED flashlight' than a higher end flashlight.
Could be more the tin/hollow/thin sound of the switch than the feel though.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Showing the switch mod I made, from page 9 of this thread.

Even though I started out thinking I would prefer the high switch for my shooting hand and low switch for support hand, I've ended up installing the low switches on both sides. I found that the high switch extended back too far for me.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Para, I thought you liked Overwatch Precision triggers on your Glocks.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's a gen5 in the pic. It doesn't need a better trigger.

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I tried the high switch on the left side on my duty weapon and it just ended up being awkward. I’ve since switched it back to low switch on both sides. It’s not as bright as my old TLR-1HL but it’s much more comfortable with a shorter holster in the car.

I’ve got the same setup on my off duty gun as well.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Which rail key are you guys using for a Glock 19?

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm using whatever key was installed from the factory on all my Glocks.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
My Light came in today and just got done playing with the keys.
Mine came with the (universal-1) key installed, but found the 1913-1 key to have the same spacing, but a tighter fit with less foward to rear play in the rail slot.

I also went with the high switches both sides as it felt more natural for my thumb. I can still maintain a thumbs-forward grip while activating the high switch.
The low switch made my thumb curl too much.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The spacing, so to speak, on the keys will be uniform between the style (1913 vs UNIV). The UNIV keys fit Glock Gen 3 and 4 frames (and many or most other "non-1913" rails). The 1913 keys are to picatinny spec and would be the proper fit for a Gen 5 Glock, which has gone to a 1913 rail spec.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
DaBigBR

Thank you. I didn't realize that there was a change in the gen5 rails compared to gen 3-4.

posted Hide Post
Is everybody using these lights with tritium sights ,?
As well?

You gotta have both ,
Right?

You gotta be able to see your sights

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
quote:
DaBigBR

Thank you. I didn't realize that there was a change in the gen5 rails compared to gen 3-4.

Recently learned it myself. Something of a stealth change with all the other stuff in the Gen 5 guns.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did I ask a silly question ?

about the tritium sights?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I'm using tritium sights on my M&P with the TLR-7A.
I will also note that I had to send my TLR-7A in to SL for a repair. I was routinely checking function and it was dead. They replaced the board and it's fine so far. Still has a zero round count on it.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Yes in most cases mine are used in conjunction with tritium night sights.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Did I ask a silly question ?

about the tritium sights?

Nope not at all.

I personally find night sights to be not as valuable as many believe. You need to know what you're shooting at, so a light for positive identification is essential. The light overpowers the tritium in most cases (even a WML) that does not "spill" across the sights like a handheld does in some positions. Even plan sights outline very nicely when there is light being shined down range.

I wonder if Glock had included metal fixed (non tritium) sights with their pistols from the start if night sights would be so popular now since their popularity in law enforcement is probably a big factor.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Night sights and a light are both useful, and they serve different purposes. The light helps you identify your target in low/no light situations. The night sights help you properly align your sights in low/no light situations.

A flashlight illuminating your target can help you align your sights in some situations, by providing light contrast between the bright target and the black sights. While DaBigBR is correct that the light will sometimes overpower the tritium, there are still situations in which night sights can be helpful, like when using the light on a further away target in the open, or when you're in darkness but the target is in light (like standing in a dark room while the target is in a lit room, or standing under dark cover while the target is outside in daylight). The glowing dots are certainly easier to acquire and align in low light than simply lining up black sight posts/notches against the lit target.

But on the flip side, night sights alone won't help you identify your target.

So it's strange that it seems like most armed civilians choose to have night sights on their guns, but most don't mount/carry flashlights. I'd rather have both a light and night sights, but if I had to choose only one of the two, I'd take flashlights over night sights.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am also in the camp of given the choice I want a light on the gun and or handheld long before I want night sights. Target identification is crucial. I can’t imagine opening up on your neighbor who happened to wander in your yard some evening for any number of legit reasons for example.

Many of my handguns have a bespoke light on them.

I still generally want night sights but can work without them. I feel naked not having a light and at a real disadvantage.

Now all that said I am low speed and high drag and know shit about shit so my opinion is worth well shit. Smile.

I will say emphatically that Streamlight marketed these brilliantly because I have replaced three of my original TLR7s with the “A” revisions. I have moved the older versions to other guns. Nothing wrong with the originals but the switching is far superior on the A revision.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post