SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    220 9MM imported by Hawes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

220 9MM imported by Hawes Login/Join 
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted
When did Hawes import Sigs? Were they the first to do so? I know there is plenty of info here from the members. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
1978 to 1980 or so.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I am short in memory about the Hawes markings. Are they nicely engraved or free hand electric pencil ? Anyone have photos ?

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
I believe Browning was first to import the P220 followed shortly by Hawes. However, I have seen at least one article that had Hawes first.

As for markings, from the photos I have seen on the internet, the markings are similar to the Browning markings (name of company, city and state of company, "Made in W Germany") except they are on the right side of the slide behind the "P220".

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
OK, thank you. Stamped nicely and it's how I recall.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Hawes was the first to import, but only briefly. My P220 in .38 Super is dated HH for 1977. No electro pencils on them either.
They have the early pinch nose. Box was plain blue and cheaply made, the label fell off before I got the gun.
I recall in some research there were only 15 imported in .38 Super.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: p08,

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Forgot the date code.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: p08,

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Very nice bottle nose Hawes

I find my P220 in 38 SUPER to be wonderfully accurate

Are you going to take it to the range? Or just kind of preserve it for the moment?

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I had a HH date coded Browning in 9mm. I believe the quantity of .38 Supers imported by Browning was much higher. I've lost track but seems it was around 760. The Owner of Sig Forum has a absolute perfect P220 around the year '77 which chambers the 7.65 round. That one facinates me more than any of the old Sig Arms guns.

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, the Hawes P220's are not serialized on the slide. I've observed several with an additional import stamp on the chamber (Golden State Arms, Sacramento, CA), though I'm uncertain the significance of Hawes' affiliation with this firm.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
Very nice bottle nose Hawes

I find my P220 in 38 SUPER to be wonderfully accurate

Are you going to take it to the range? Or just kind of preserve it for the moment?

I used to shoot it years ago, but when I found out how uncommon it was I stopped shooting it. I am a collector of many guns that for historical conservancy I cannot shoot for fear of damaging them (Luger pistols). I think I have owned this gun since the early 90's!

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
That would mean that here in SIGforum over the last twenty years, we've seen pics of about 20 of those 15 Hawes-imported 38 Super pistols.

I don't know where you got that number, but it's wrong.

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
"Made in Western Germany." That's interesting.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I think he's referring to the "Western" part of that. Later SIGs, of course, were marked "Made in W. Germany" but I think that in the United States at least, the common name before reunification was "West Germany", not "Western"

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, well, the above post was in response to a member, who apparently deleted their post. Makes me look like a boob, talking to no one. Thanks

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Hawes also imported the J.P.Sauer and Sohn revolvers around the same time. I was able to find one in 44 Magnum for $100.

For what it is worth, the P220s stamped as 9mm Luger is substantially rarer than the P220s stamped as 9mm Para.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
That would mean that here in SIGforum over the last twenty years, we've seen pics of about 20 of those 15 Hawes-imported 38 Super pistols.

I don't know where you got that number, but it's wrong.

I do not recall where I saw that, I looked things up years ago.I will take your word on how many there are. I do know that there aren't that many though.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'll tell you where that likely came from- some jughead on Gunbroker advertising his ULTRA-RARE shooter. Whoever started that was just pulling humbers out of their ass in an effort to profit from it.

Yes, of course the number of Hawes imported P220s pales in comparison to Browning. Browning imported less than 1000 BDAs in .38 Super. I'd estimate that Hawes imported about a quarter of that number of P220s in that caliber.

If you really want a truly scarce Hawes-imported SIG-Sauer, find one of the P230s they imported.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
That's interesting what you wrote about the P230s imported by Hawes, Para. The only 230 I've ever seen they imported is in a magazine I have called Pistolero (Summer 1980 issue). Phil Engeldrum praised it after testing one and lamented that it was no longer being brought into the country. So, in what year would Hawes have started importing the P230? And since they stopped importing it by 1980, when would Interarms have begin with their importation of it (and the P220 and P225)? BTW, I still have that magazine if anyone is interested in reading it. Feel free to email me (see profile).

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Yes, of course the number of Hawes imported P220s pales in comparison to Browning. Browning imported less than 1000 BDAs in .38 Super. I'd estimate that Hawes imported about a quarter of that number of P220s in that caliber.

SIGSauer built about 6000 pistols of this first type. What makes the Hawes of the standard production so special compared to the Browning series, which is a type of its own? Is Hawes historically significant?

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post