SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229 Carry shooting low and to the right
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 Carry shooting low and to the right Login/Join 
posted
Part of the issue is I'm a lefty but right eye dominant.
So, my question is this, " Are there any really good aftermarket tactical sights for the Sig P229 that are windage and elevation adjustable ?"

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dean

Posts: 3 | Registered: June 19, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
It's actually not the sights, or your eye dominance, it's most likely a trigger control issue.

It's called pre-ignition push.

I'll quote jljones from another thread...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...060034524#2060034524

"...when you are shooting along and you hit that dummy round or round with a hard primer when you are expecting the gun to go boom and it goes click? What happens to the gun with 80 percent of shooters? The muzzle dips from where they were attempting to push down on the gun to "control" recoil. That is a follow through error and it happens to a lot of people. I get a nasty case of it spring and fall it seems.

For a right handed shooter, this type of follow through error will cause the rounds to impact to the 7 o'clock of point of aim. For a left handed shooter, it causes the rounds to impact to the 5 o'clock."

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The sights could be out of whack.

But before I replaced them, I would do a little work on trigger control. Dry fire exercises are great for this.

You might find it is you, as Snake207 suggested.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Practicing and working thru trigger control issues are well worth the effort

Changing sights out may help with the 1 gun
But the next gun you pick up your buddies or another one of yours the problem may come back,

Learning trigger control is transferable to many different handguns

A lot of times we can prove it to the shooter that it is their control by having them load a dummy round in a full mag and watching their sights dip when they get to that dummy round or to have the shooter hold the gun on target, sights aligned on target and have someone pull the trigger for them on a live round

Most times it will prove to the shooter it is the shooter not the gun.

If any of this sounds interesting there are training courses that can help you work through this also.

One of my carry guns is a 229 and once I was shown it was me jerking the trigger and not the gun, I saved a bunch of money by not changing sights out immediately, instead spent it on training and practice ammo.

PS
Welcome to the forum

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before I even clicked the thread, I said, "a lefty huh?"

You're flinching. The only thing changing the sights will do is make you miss when you do things right. You need to get accustomed to the pistol going off. Doubling up ear pro can help.

If you don't believe me, have a buddy load a random snap cap or two in with live ammo in a mag and set up a video camera. You'll see yourself dip/push the pistol anticipating the shot. It's also possible you're compounding it by trying to look over the gun to see where your shots are going. Dry fire practice can't hurt, but it doesn't have the bang, which is what you are reacting to. What worked best for me was "wasting" ammo and just doing some rapid fire. Get myself used to the noise and concussion.

The bad news is, a flinch can come back and rear it's ugly head at any time.

Best of luck to you, I feel your pain.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,

I'm going to the range with a buddy of mine and I'll ask him to video me while I shoot a few rounds. Might help to actually see me in motion and find out what's going on.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Have someone else shot it and see if it’s repeatable. I suspect the aforementioned feedback plays into the cause..

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Have someone else shot it and see if it’s repeatable. I suspect the aforementioned feedback plays into the cause..

BINGO! If someone else shoots it well, it’s you. Or do the old “dry fire with a dime on the front sight” drill.

Posts: 56 | Location: Alabaster, Alabama | Registered: January 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going through the same issue.
Took a year off from shooting IDPA and that nasty flinch is back.
Lots of range time and concentrate on the front sight helped me.

Posts: 2 | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting right hand left eye for years -master class gssf, distinguished pistol badge in competition as well. For pistol eye / hand dominance is insignificant. Low right equals trigger control until proven otherwise and is fixed with fundamental technique work not different guns sights etc

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To ALL that responded to my question, Thank You so much for the useful information, indeed it was a trigger control problem !!!! After focusing on that one issue and about 100 rounds later, about 95 % are now in the black.
Will continue to practice and hopefully retain what I learned.
Thanks for the input .

ean

posted Hide Post
Excellent! Always good to hear a positive resolution!

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now shoot and enjoy

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post