SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    A few older S&W K-Frames
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A few older S&W K-Frames Login/Join 
Lost, but making
good time
posted
Life's been busy lately and it's been a while since I posted a thread about new to me finds. My main S&W collecting interests are N-Frames from 1930 to 1957, but I also have a soft spot for the K22's and 2" M&P's. In the past 6 months, I've been very lucky to find a few very nice ones to add to my collection.

This K22 Masterpiece or pre model 17 shipped from the factory in September 1952. It looks to be unfired. It came with all the tools and paperwork that came with these great guns when they were sold new. All the numbers match and I bought this one locally from the original owner.

This K22 Masterpiece, or pre model 17 shipped from the factory in August 1955. This gun shipped with the optional bright blue finish instead of the standard matte finish. The bright blue finish eventually became the stock finish of all Model 17's starting around 1957. It's an all numbers matching gun that looks to have had a very easy life.

This K22 Combat Masterpiece, or pre model 18 shipped in February 1954. It's an all numbers matching gun and doesn't look like it's been shot much. Finding these 4" K22's in this condition is hard to do and I was very lucky to have found it.

This transitional 2" M&P, or a pre model 10 shipped in February 1948. The transitional period for S&W was between 1946 and 1949. Guns shipped during this time can be found with both pre war and post war parts on them. The transitional 2" M&P's aren't as common as the 4", 5", or 6" barreled guns. Finding them in this condition is hard to do and I was very fortunate to find this one locally. It's an all numbers matching gun that probably sat in a drawer most of its life.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10454 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Beautiful guns. The craftsmanship puts modern S&W products to shame.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Way over due to post sir. We'll need to change your Forum ID to blindref Jinks... Big Grin. These are some fine revolvers. Nice to see the old walnut stocks for a change.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Blindref, the K22s dont have a pivoting hammer nose. I've only shot 1 K22 and it was newer than these. What is the pin for above the top side plate screw ?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
All very lovely.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful classic S&W!

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Blindref, the K22s dont have a pivoting hammer nose. I've only shot 1 K22 and it was newer than these. What is the pin for above the top side plate screw ?

holds the frame mounted firing pin IIRC,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have 2 of those snubbies,

mine are 50's production, not transitions

one is a pocket gun, or spent most of its life as one,
still in great shape considering,

the other is likely 90% or so, and lettered as being shipped to a hardware store in Miami Fla,,

that one is a safe queen now

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful for sure! I feel the time period of 1946- approx 1970 was the golden era of S&W quality class and style. With only one exception all my S&W revolvers are from that era. Mine are not pretty though as I shoot and carry them a lot. While yours are about too pretty to shoot, I would be tempted for sure. My 17-2 is my primary .22 and I still use it in bullseye competition. Bought used but mint in box from a priest I knew back in the 90’s. My conservative estimate is I have shot 75-100 thousand rounds out of it. Running on all original parts as you would expect. My primary Icore revolver is a battered police trade in combat masterpiece 4 screw that also shoots great.

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Those are beautiful.

Thank you for sharing~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of great looking Smiths! I picked up a 2" Model 10 the other day, quite a bit newer than yours. Something about the round front site and the hammer on the older models just looks right.

Posts: 90 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I likey the 2" M&P. Nice looking gun.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, beautiful pieces!

Posts: 399 | Location: Hartford, CT | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful six guns! Thanks for the great pics.

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
When I saw who started the thread I knew it was going to have some great guns, and photos. Congratulations!

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The classics you guys own are jealousy inducing!
And on the .22 Combat Masterpiece take note of the double pinned front sight. Just aint done anymore!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I remember when you got into S&Ws..!

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GREAT CEASER'S GHOST THOSE ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Posts: 216 | Registered: January 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Wow.

Your acquisitions and photography both never cease to impress!

As always, thank you for sharing.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Well done sir. I like them all but the 2" is by far my favorite.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2762 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post