SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Sig P239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Sig P239 Login/Join 
posted
Well I just brought home a new P239 in 9mm yesterday. Needed a change and really want to get some time behind a DA/SA gun. If all goes good there might be an M11 or a P226 in my future.

Posts: 125 | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
You'll like it. Its pleasant to shoot and carries well in an IWB holster.

One of my favorite guns.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . get some time behind a DA/SA gun.

MaineGunner;
What kind of platform are you coming from? Revolver? Striker-fired? SAO pistol?

My P239 was my first DA/SA. Came from revolvers and a DAO Sig P250.
I've spent a lot of time working on the DA/SA trigger, both live- and dry-fire.
Still plenty to learn and improve on, but comfortable enough to make the P239 my EDC.

To carry it I use either an IWB Hybrid holster from Ozark Holster Co (the owner, Dustin, is a member here on SigForum) -or- a GALCO 'Fletch' belt holster. Just depends on what I'm wearing that day.

And just got an M11 the other day at Gander Mountain. Their 'going out of business' price was too good to pass up. I think this gun will eventually become my favorite gun.

I've put TrijiCon HD sights on both the P239 and the M11.
A significant improvement over the factory sights IMHO.

Both are great guns, once you've gotten the hang of the DA/SA trigger.
Hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
You can find threads where P239 owners extol the virtues of the P239. It is often described as a pistol in which the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Accuracy is excellent, and the pistol just works.

The discussion often hits on its relatively low ammo capacity in relationship to its size, but this came about so that the design could comfortably handle the .40 (and .357 Sig) rounds that were emergent when it was designed.

The low ammo capacity compared to overall size is also somewhat caused by the relatively short grip -- which makes it easier to conceal. To me, it is still a holster gun, not a pocket gun; but in a holster, it sits snug to the body because of that shorter grip. The P239 entered the market well before the current the small/light single-stack 9mm era -- most of those pistols are in fact more efficient in size and weight than the P239. But, do those newer designs compare favorably in terms of reliability, accuracy, and just plain shootability? P239 fans don't think so.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . do those newer designs compare favorably . . .

RoverSig; Funny you should say that!
Two recent examples from the range with my P239.

First story, took a guy from work to the range one day during our lunch break.
He doesn't own a handgun but had shot a couple of GLOCKs in the past.
So we rented a Glock 19 Gen 4, plus I had my P250C and the P239.
After shooting all three he was raving about how good the P239 felt and how accurate he was with it.
Now when we talk about going back to the range he asks...
"You bringing the one I like? What was that gun again?"

Next story, got my GF a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield for Christmas last year.
She had rented a Shield a couple of times and thought that was the gun she liked the best.
When we would go to the range I would shoot the P239 and she'd shoot the Shield.
Then we'd swap guns for a couple of magazines just for variety.
However, after 3 or 4 trips to the range and letting her try the P239, she's shooting the P239 better than she is the Shield!
Not sure how much longer the P239 will be 'mine'.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had many pistols over the years. Sigs and H&K's,Glocks, FNH. and more. I have spent some time with the DA/SA mostly on the M11. Myself and two buddies went down to the Sig Academy a couple of years ago and did a two day class.We had a blast but most of my trigger time is behind a glock 19. Probably My favorite gun. I really want to put some serious time behind my P239. Maybe another M11 down the road.

Posts: 125 | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Great choice. No internet videos of failed drop testing, no real complaints (except front strap) and very versatile.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mainegunner:
......but most of my trigger time is behind a glock 19. Probably My favorite gun.

The P239 and Glock 19 are two very different guns. If your priority is capacity, you will want to just stick with the Glock. If the balance of easy concealment and compliant handling are appealing to you above just capacity, the P239 is a good alternative.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Good summation. I own both.

One other factor often overlooked. I carry two spare mags in belt carriers, regardless of the capacity. Two single stacks carry much better than two double stacks. That, combined with the thinner overall single stack profile, makes it a VERY low profile carry gun. Bonus is it shoots like the larger Sig DA/SA's.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a new Sig 239 SAS Gen II a few month ago. The fit and finish was absolutly superb. Better than my P226 Legion. I have never seen a gun so perfect out of the box. Like everyone who shot ones says, shoots like a full size Sig and very accurate. Slide release was very stiff when brand new but has broken in.

Posts: 102 | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Had mine engraved & added some Crimson Laser Grips.
Next will be some different sights.
This is one that I'll always keep.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I have one I carried a WHOLE lot, and it was waay more accurate than it had a right to be. Hated it. Felt too top-heavy for me. Still, it was a compact .40 companion to my duty 226 .40.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
The P239 is not my favorite Sig but it is my favorite EDC. Accuracy, reliability and concealability. Along with a 10 round spare mag I have 18 rounds at my disposal and that is 18 more than I've ever needed so works for me.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grumpy, who did the engraving? Beautiful pistol.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Shoot me a message Bulldog.
E-mail is in my profile.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TheBikerLife
posted Hide Post
Because I now live in a concealed carry only state, I often carry my P239 in a shoulder holster with 2 spare mags when I'm out on my Harley. It has Never failed me. Not even once.

Posts: 517 | Location: Lexington, SC | Registered: November 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post