SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    45. ACP - who carries it still? Or is it a 9mm world?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45. ACP - who carries it still? Or is it a 9mm world? Login/Join 
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I carried a 5" gov't model 45 for 25 years. Since the M&P's came along, I switched to 9mm. On occasion when I'm feeling nostalgic for a 1911 I opt for my 38 Super. I do shoot 45 (in revolvers too). I'll always be a "45 guy".

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 705 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just a big fan of the .45
I know that round technology has come along way, but I always gravitate toward the .45

Duty is a G-21 w/3 extra magazines
Off duty is a G-19

I'm slowly re-thinking this. I've been tossing around switching my duty to a G-17, and keeping the -19 as off duty. The things that are holding me up are- all my duty stuff is set up for a G-21 (holsters -w & w/o light, mag pouches), and I'd have to re-do everything for a G-17. Im a whole lot closer to the end of this game than the beginning, and I shoot the G-21 well, so I kinda feel like "why bother?".

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
95% of the time for me is a P220R Compact backed up by two 8rd mags. My house gun is a P220R w/TLR-7. I have a great P229 Legacy in 9mm but rarely carry it as I prefer the single stack.I also have two Dan Wessons - a all steel VBob in 9mm and a light weight Valkyrie in .45. The 9mm is my favorite range gun of the bunch and the .45 is a sometimes dress up carry. I would have no problem carrying any of them but just prefer the .45 ACP and SIG platform.

P239
M11-A1
340 M&P

Posts: 552 | Location: Okla | Registered: August 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I'm mainly 9mm. I am issued a gen 4 G17. I have a gen 5 G19 but haven't really been carrying it since I have a G43/G43 with the shield arms 15 round mags and a P228 that I won from Q. I love it and have been carrying it a lot.

I have had G36s and G30SF but only have my trusted P220. If I had a smaller .45 to carry I wouldn't have any issues carrying it as my P220 is regulated to night stand duty for the last decade.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Glock 19 and 43 mainly. I do have 1 Colt 45 that occasionally comes out in the colder months. But, it’s mostly the 43 all year.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.45 ACP all day, every day. Springfield TRP or a 1970s Colt Series 70 w/considerable custom work. Occasionally (rarely anymore) a P220.

Posts: 41 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: August 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
I’ve gone away from .45 as I am condensing calibers instead of having too many. 9 mm for me, although, I AM. a 10 mm lover.

10mm lover here, Mine is a Colt Delta Gold Cup, too large to conceal easily, especially here in the south in the summer months. I even find a commander size or Kimber compact in .45 just too large so it's 9mm for my concealed carry.

Posts: 45 | Registered: May 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
9mm for urban as I live in a left-nutty city. In the woods 10mm. Do have a 220 in 45 that I love but it doesn't get used other than at the range.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've voluntarily gone to the 9mm in all facets (self-defense, hiking, camping, police duty carry, CCW, etc.).

I love the .45, but it doesn't love me anymore. I'm too old and have severe carpal tunnel, and the .45 just beats me to death from my new Ronin 1911. I've only shot it about 75 times, and it just won't work for me now. It'll be enjoyable for someone younger. It will likely wind up for sell here and I'll get me another 9mm.

The .45 is a proven caliber, but I no longer carry it in my P220 or 1911. I'm a G19, G43X or P228 guy now. Just easier on the old hands and wrists.

Getting old ain't for sissies.

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:
I've voluntarily gone to the 9mm in all facets (self-defense, hiking, camping, police duty carry, CCW, etc.).

I love the .45, but it doesn't love me anymore. I'm too old and have severe carpal tunnel, and the .45 just beats me to death from my new Ronin 1911. I've only shot it about 75 times, and it just won't work for me now. It'll be enjoyable for someone younger. It will likely wind up for sell here and I'll get me another 9mm.

The .45 is a proven caliber, but I no longer carry it in my P220 or 1911. I'm a G19, G43X or P228 guy now. Just easier on the old hands and wrists.

I’ve always been a 45 guy but I no longer carry it. P365 and G48 for me most days. I’m developing some similar issues little by little and notice it most with the 1911. The G21 not so much yet (fortunately as I get along with that gun really well).

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I shot .45 for quite a few years, but recently have upgraded to 10mm. All of my .45 stuff is gone (guns, reloading stuff, etc.)

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob RI:
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:

I’ve always been a 45 guy but I no longer carry it. P365 and G48 for me most days. I’m developing some similar issues little by little and notice it most with the 1911. The G21 not so much yet (fortunately as I get along with that gun really well).

Thanks, Bob. You're right. The G21 is a lot easier on the hands and wrists than my 1911 and P220. When you shoot them side by side, it's always a shock how much less the G21 (and M&P .45) recoils. You make a good point.

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
To be fair, it's always been a 9mm world, just a .45 US. Wink

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
My Glock27 is what's usually with me, but for hikes in the woods my Glock 36FGR is a nice carry pistol.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
38 Super or 10mm for me.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack this thread but for those of you that have carpel tunnel issues there is a simple surgical procedure done as an outpatient that relieves the pressure on the nerves running through the "tunnel". I had this procedure done on both hands (not at the same time)and have no issues shooting 45 or 10MM.
Should be performed by an orthopedic Dr who specializes in hand surgery.
If you are in or near the Phila area, pm me for a Dr. recommendation.

Posts: 83 | Location: Montgomery county, PA | Registered: May 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I don’t want to carry a gun(Church, etc.), I carry the P365. Otherwise a Kimber Elite Carry or P245, both in Milt Sparks VM-2 holsters with 2- 8 rd backup mags. Doubt I will ever have time to reload the last magazine.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 369 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
Simply stated, a 9mm handgun is probably the best choice at this point in time for a personal defense handgun.

That being said, just because something isn't the "Best" choice, doesn't mean it's not a good or great choice.

We all know WHY 9mm is the best choice right now. But if you still make a good choice, you're fine. Don't worry that much about it.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HODY905:
Not to hijack this thread but for those of you that have carpel tunnel issues there is a simple surgical procedure done as an outpatient that relieves the pressure on the nerves running through the "tunnel". I had this procedure done on both hands (not at the same time)and have no issues shooting 45 or 10MM.
Should be performed by an orthopedic Dr who specializes in hand surgery.
If you are in or near the Phila area, pm me for a Dr. recommendation.

Thank you. You're right. I've suffered with mine for a decade and should've had it repaired years ago.

Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
The 1911 has been my primary for years. Then I discovered P220s and discovered how great they were. There have been other calibers in there from 9mm to .40 and .357.
Recently I began shooting P227s and these are really a ball. All are welcome in my house-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post