Find
Notify
Tools

P225 prices Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't understand why they didn't at least maintain mag compatability with the original. Once discontinued, having incompatible mags makes both styles of mags more scarce.

Didn't the 225A1 use P239 mags with a different baseplate? I can't say for sure as I don't own either of those guns, but that's what I've heard. If that's correct, it actually makes sense from Sig's perspective since those mags were already in production, and the old 225 mags weren't. Sucks for those of us that want a source of cheap mags compatible with the original, though.

I have a P6 that I bought for $400 back when they are abundant. I never really considered buying a single-stack 9mm until I picked that thing up and held it in my hand. The grip is the definition of perfection, and I was sold.

I've kind of turned that gun into a poor man's P225. I replaced the barrel with a P225 barrel to accommodate hollow points, swapped the hammer for one without the hole, put in a P225 mainspring, and installed an SRT kit. It's a darn good shooter and feels great in the hand...and I still have all the original parts to put back into it in case the P6 ever becomes a priceless collectible, lol.

LGS had a nice P225 a few years back for $500...kind of wanted to buy it, but didn't really need it and couldn't justify it. It would have been cool to have, but it wouldn't have done anything for me that my P6 won't do.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s exactly what they did. 239 mags. Funky baseplate. Stupid yet almost understandable. I bought 2 used 225a1’s. I don’t believe I paid more than 600 for either. I swapped out red DAK spring for standard Sig P series spring. 6 bucks and 10 minutes. They both have the short reset trigger, it's short, and the smoothest out of box “stock” trigger I’ve ever bought. I wouldn’t send it to anybody because it’s well past good enough as is.

If you can get past the nostalgia, you should try the a1. Out of box it comes checkered, great trigger undercut, trigger as described (change out red spring), very good G10 grips standard, and I can’t think of anything else.

I love nostalgia. No reason to own as many P7’s as I do if that wasn’t the case. They made one actual mistake with 225a1. They should have had their own mag that fit properly or a baseplate that made sense. If they hadn’t been discontinued and more popular I guarantee someone would have produced a sensible drop in baseplate that added one round. Other than that, it’s pretty perfect for a single stack lover. If you can get past the nostalgia of the original 225.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind trying an A1...but like that $500 P225 at the LGS, I'm just not sure I could justify buying one, especially with current prices being what they are. I'm pretty happy with my bastardized P6... probably the only thing I'd change if I could is to undercut and smooth the trigger guard a bit so it doesn't rub on my middle finger quite so much, but that's an extremely minor quibble and not worth the effort, especially on an alloy frame.

I'm a little sad about my classic P-Series guns at the moment. I qualified the other day with my P245, and my two department issue P320s. I had no problem shooting expert with any of them, but was clearly better with the 320. I love the quality and mechanics of the old DA/SA guns, but when I'm honest with myself it's hard to argue with the practicality of the plastic.

Don't hear me saying I'm dumping them. Practicality is important to me, but I also own plenty of guns because I enjoy the mechanics of the way they work and like shooting them. The P6 was my carry gun for a while...I had a P229 as a duty gun for years, and now carry a P245 off duty. I guess it's just a little sad to see a platform progressing from the practical side of the collection to the interesting and nostalgic.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The way I figure it if the German and a number of Swiss police cantons/cities used the Sig P-6/P-225 respectively it had to be pretty darn good to satisfy those perfectionists. Doubt a low bid is a consideration.

Posts: 186 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That undercut you describe is precisely what they did at the factory for the 225a1. Based on my Sig purchases over the years, the 225a1 basically came out as a Legion from the start. Only thing I don’t think it had was great sights. I recall swapping in some Ameriglo’s.

92 I’m doing the exact opposite. I’m moving back to TDA. Finished my SP01 up and no sooner bought a straight up Shadow 2. My striker guns aren’t getting much love. I literally feel like I could sell everything but my 92’s and CZ’s and be content.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
At some point I'll get my hands on one and try it. It sounds like they addressed some of the few minor quibles I have with mine....I'll miss the folded slide, though. There's just something about the balance of an old-school folded slide Sig that just feels right. My P229 is a lot more blocky and top-heavy than my P6 and my P245.

The 320 is excellent, don't get me wrong. I'm glad we're issuing them. And I do get to train on it a lot more than my classic stuff these days, so the performance improvement with that gun shouldn't be suprising. But they are definitely easier to shoot...the improvement in qualification scores across the board when we issued them is testament to that.

The upside to the world going plastic, though, is it's driving the prices down on the old stuff. Hopefully once the craziness subsides a bit, we'll start to see good deals on classic Sigs again.

posted Hide Post
I have a 225-A1 plus 2 west German P225s. They would likely be among the last guns I would ever part with they all shoot great and conceal well. However I still shoot my P239 best . I like the single stack 9s best.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P225 is my favorite 9mm ever offered by SIG/SAUER, so much so that I've got three of 'em. Unfortunately, the Eckernförde plant is done where, IMO, the best pistols were made. Thanks to the German government putting the screws to Sauer's exports, it's not a wonder that they sadly went kaputt. Danke Deutschland!

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 225is from April 1986, paid $380.00..sold it when I got laid off in 1989 for $475. Back in 2011 I called the guy up and asked if he wanted to sell it back to me..and he did!! complete with box and papers in the same condition I sold it to him, asked him what he wanted for the gun and he said $375.00. Money came out of my pocket fast!! The other Sig is my 228 which I carried for 22+ years at my second PD, My firearms guys bought it for me as a retirement gift. I also managed to get a complete "rebuild" kit put together before I left..Both guns still shoot great and my youngest son has his eyes on the 225 "sometime down the road Dad" as he puts it..

Posts: 17 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: January 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
My 225 is a K-Kote not far in serial number from Para's that you see at the top of the site. As someone else stated, if I had to get rid of all but one Sig the 225 would be the one I keep.

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Curious what holsters are you using with your P-225, I have two holsters, El Paso Saddlery Street Combat and Akah pancake holster with Milt Sparks double mag pouch.

Posts: 186 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 225A-1 shoots better than almost any other gun I own (the 226 is very close to it). When I heard rumblings that Sig was discontinuing it due to low sales I picked up another one to hold in the back of the safe.

Robert Burke did his magic on mine and while it is over-priced, over weight and holds too few rounds (tongue in cheek here), it sure feels great in hand and shoots really well...

Posts: 2 | Location: Tucson AZ | Registered: August 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great bunch of responses guys! Thank you! Went ahead and bought a purty Exeter P225 with two mags in gray box with round logo stamped in it for $800. Will take photos when it arrives in a week or so.

You also motivated me into looking for extra mags that I thought I might have. Gave the daughter two. Found these in a box. Don't know how to date them. Two are similar and the third odd man out might be the oldest? One has P6 on the baseplate. All this Probably doesn't matter much as long as they function properly.

Posts: 4 | Registered: January 30, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I just got my P225 out a couple of days ago and took it to the range. I bought it for my wife but she decided it was too hard to rack the slide, so she ended up with a revolver. Bruce Gray did work on the trigger so it’s very nice, and does indeed fall nicely in the hand.
Thanks for reminding me how great it is.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post