SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pick a 45 for the apocalypse...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pick a 45 for the apocalypse... Login/Join 
Picture of joshs74nova
posted
If you had to pick only one sidearm chambered in 45 to rely on which one do you pick? My only 45's are 1911's and I'm looking to expand.

Question:
Which 45 would you rely on most?

Choices:
Sig P220
Sig P227
Glock 21
FNP 45
XD45
M&P 45
HK 45

Posts: 325 | Location: Pearl, MS | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I voted Glock but if you’d put the Ruger Redhawk in .45C/.45ACP I’d have chose that.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Where is the FNX-45 Tactical option?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Apocalypse....HK Mark 23 Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
curious as to where you are finding these for purchase?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Apocalypse?

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
No glock 41?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Glock G30, slightly smaller but slightly heavier than a G19. Very concealable, can use G21 magazines and is very accurate.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first .45 was a Glock 21 (Compensated) Gen 3 which has sat in my drawer for about 20 years. I believe I fired it maybe 5 times.

I am just not that fond of it.
I bought a HK USP from a guy in VA who needed the money for the Fire Academy. It is fun to shoot but I am not that consistent with it.

I have a P220 DAK and a 220 compact that I have hardly fired and got both of them for hardly anything. More of a fun, see what they are like buy.

I bought the M&P 45 off a retired San Diego Officer who relocated to VA to be closer to the grand kids. This would be my go to choice, and I am half way decent with. I would also like to try the Compact version. I really do enjoy shooting it. Actually it is my night stand gun.

I have always had a hankering to try out an SA XD 45 but have never been given the chance.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
As some here know, I am a fan of the P-220. However, of those listed I voted for the Glock 21. I have a 21 and shoot it well, I just shoot the P-220 platform a little better.

So, for the apocalypse, I am taking the 21, with some +2 mags.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Am I blind and will my unwavering faith in the lord carry me through? This matters for my choice. Smile

Seriously though probably a USPc or USP

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In absolute reliability terms the HK45 is probably the top of the heap for that list. But in terms of economically acquiring and having the necessary parts available to effect a repair the Glock wins hands down. X100 maybe. In fact with a little work outside this current nonsense you can probably get two of them for the price of the HK. Me personally I'm using 9mm for my apocalypse gun, and in the case of choose one I'm picking a P30.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Am I blind and will my unwavering faith in the lord carry me through? This matters for my choice. Smile

Seriously though probably a USPc or USP

First thing I thought of as well.

Posts: 1956 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
End of world scenario would be two G21s with a parts kit. Second choice of two 220s with a parts kit.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
I would say HK USP 45.

But, from those on your list, HK45.

Posts: 1050 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P220, I'm very comfortable with them.

The parts availability and cost of magazines keeps me away from HK.

I don't care for the FN after owning one for a few years, a good gun but the P220 is better.

I haven't shot a Glock 21, probably be my 2nd pick.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've had several Glock 21's but for some reason I never keep them for long, I just don't shoot them as well as I do my 19, 23, 26, 43.

But in 45 1911's and HK's rule the roost, but HK mag capacity would win out.

Oh crap ... I dont shoot it often, but I do have a Kimber Polymer double stack 1911 ... which holds 14 rounds

And its even more fun with the AMT long-slide Hardballer slide.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I personally prefer the HK45 to the Glock 21 purely based on how they feel in my hand. They are both rock solid reliable and could probably survive an apocalypse or two.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I said P220, but only because the P245 isn't listed. P220 reliability and ergonomics but in a more practical and concealable package.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
Glock G30, slightly smaller but slightly heavier than a G19. Very concealable, can use G21 magazines and is very accurate.

+1

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post