SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pick a 45 for the apocalypse...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pick a 45 for the apocalypse... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
For a true apocalypse I'd do something in 9mm or 22. For your apocalypse I'd go with the Glock 21, gen 4. Reasonable capacity, accurate enough, moderately concealable and can be serviced with literally a pointy stick. Internals are rather simple and theres like what, two springs in there?

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
As the offspring of two German born parents this is my pick.

And I own & shoot a G21, but I love the German.

Posts: 4017 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good call on the Expert.

Love mine Smile

Posts: 184 | Registered: September 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I never knew they made a PPQ in 45...and it holds 12 rounds. Interesting...

Right now my choice would be the G21.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of those are all good choices. I know this one isn't on the list (it should be), but I'm going to add it anyway to my list of a 45 for the apocalypse.....the FN FNX.

For apocalypse duty it's hard to beat 15 rounds of 45.

Posts: 105 | Registered: November 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig 220.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got 2 FNX-45s.

Posts: 366 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Hk45 without question.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine would have to be my Sig 1911 5" NMR with the Genuine 460 Roland conversion.

Buy American-MAGA

Posts: 26 | Registered: September 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
USP 45 in the regular flavor or expert.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rlbuzz:
All of those are all good choices. I know this one isn't on the list (it should be), but I'm going to add it anyway to my list of a 45 for the apocalypse.....the FN FNX.

For apocalypse duty it's hard to beat 15 rounds of 45.

+1

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 955 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Kimber poly 1911, 12 in the mag, one in the chamber and mated to an AMT LongSlide HardBaller ... now all I need is a laser in the 40 watt range

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not understand why the Sig P320 is not on the list and #1 in results.

- the M17 and M18 are the official issue sidearm of our military and many others now,

- the civilian version (the P320) is the best handgun on the market now, plus,

- there is more aftermarket support coming online every day, and that’s only going to improve as long as the P320 is our issue sidearm,

- nothing is as customizable as a P series FCU,

- there is a Sig P-series made for any / all needs or situations.

The obvious choice is the Sig.

Posts: 381 | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:

Unfortunately it appears they do not make the 45 anymore. At least I can't find it on the website.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock 21 is a good choice.

I'm partial to the HK45 LEM though. Parts might be harder to come by than the Glock but you are unlikely to need them.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Ammo is going to be the problem for many, especially if it gets to the point of having to be mobile a lot.

But purely from a handgun standpoint, my MK23 for it's long term durability. It'll conceal just fine if needed. I won't be spending a lot of the time at the beach in my swim trunks.

My other option might be my stainless 4" S&W 625. Really nothing to wear out other than a very, very rare freak parts breakage.

In reality, it won't ever come down to "the one gun". It'll come down to "are you good enough to win the fight with the gun you have and then collect up possibly better weapons/more weapons as you go". If you don't win that fight, it doesn't matter if you had a custom Wilson or a Hi Point. The spoils will go to the victor.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:

Unfortunately it appears they do not make the 45 anymore. At least I can't find it on the website.

WHAT??!?

Why would Sig DO that??! That’s crazy!!

I hope they change there mind on this ASAP.

Posts: 381 | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
Ammo is going to be the problem for many, especially if it gets to the point of having to be mobile a lot.

But purely from a handgun standpoint, my MK23 for it's long term durability. It'll conceal just fine if needed. I won't be spending a lot of the time at the beach in my swim trunks.

Actually for this particular apocalyptic scenario, ammo is a lesser concern than quality bourbon. And swim trunks will be quite important. One should enjoy the last day - with good bourbon, nice waterfront and a classy gun (P220) to fire your last rounds (perhaps at the empty bottle).

That said, scripture describes a different apocalypse, which simply involves a choice between 2 dinner invitations - either one chooses to attend the marriage supper of the Lamb or the great supper of God. For one, you only need a clean robe and such is provided at the door. For the other, it would be wise to take the shotgun you use to hunt large birds.

But again, for this thread’s assumed end, I’m not going to bother toting a bunch of ammo around.

Where’s the bourbon and where’s the chaise?

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BKLYNIRISH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
End of world scenario would be two G21s with a parts kit. Second choice of two 220s with a parts kit.

Precisely.

Posts: 62 | Registered: January 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Z06, that's an excellent photograph of that Walther.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post