SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thought I was going something good... then the first started... with a bear!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thought I was going something good... then the first started... with a bear! Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
That is, with a Bruin. Just bought this a few weeks ago and have been waiting for TW25, FP-10 and Kroil to make sure I had the right lube and cleaner.

I've taken many 1911s apart and NEVER had this much of an issue. It all stemed from the rather funky recoil spring plug. A regular barrel wrench, the one that came with it, did not seem to work. It would not press the plug all the way in to allow the bushing to move.

The plug would be skewed to one side and not straight. So, I had to remove the slide under tension. Putting it back together was no picnic either. I had to manually press the plug in and rotate the bushing. Once again, the wrench was pretty useless.

You can see what I'm talking about in the pictures. The left side of the plug is a little bunged up as the result of trying to use the wrench and turn the bushing again the plug which does not go in.

I like the look of the design, but disassembly and assembly are literal A BEAR! Any suggestions, secrets, arcane and occult incantations? I'm open to just about anything. I can't quite figure out why the wrench will not allow the bushing to move when it is pressing in the plug. It's like the plug is not going in enough or in straight.

On the plus side, it is lubed and ready for the range.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGWolf,

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Those are very nice pistols! FWIW, I always Take out the slide stop and remove and reinstall the slide as a unit. Then control and remove the recoil spring, remove barrel, bushing,etc. Unless the bushing is really tightly fitted, no bushing wrench is needed once the recoil spring is removed, and barrel moved forward in the slide. Not the way the military used to teach it, but I don't have to do it their way nowWink

BTW, The way the barrel bushing and plug are contoured looks very stylish and custom, but from your report, perhaps not the most practical set up?

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have added one of these to my wish list. Beautiful pistol.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I need some long slide in my life

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I picked up a used Bruin a while back that appeared LNIB, it was mint… EXCEPT, the plug was chewed up like yours. I discovered, as you did, how that could happen when you’re trying to reassemble the sucker. I called Dan Wesson and talked to the parts department (very nice guy) and he told me that’s a common issue. I asked about buying a new plug and he said they are available; however, you must buy it with the bushing as they are individually fitted and only come as a pair. I don’t recall the exact price, but it was well over $100.

I passed on that and decided to just polish the plug and work on assembly technique. As you said, the wrench is worthless. I ended up putting some masking tape on the end of the plug for friction and just working it with my fingers. I like rock185’s suggestion on disassembly and will give it a try on my next go-around. I actually like the polished look, kinda blends with the barrel.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1308 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Yup, I always enjoyed removing the whole top assembly while capturing the recoil spring. It just works as well and on most 1911s better than a bushing wrench. Great looking pistol there.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
Those are very nice pistols! FWIW, I always Take out the slide stop and remove and reinstall the slide as a unit. Then control and remove the recoil spring, remove barrel, bushing,etc. Unless the bushing is really tightly fitted, no bushing wrench is needed once the recoil spring is removed, and barrel moved forward in the slide. Not the way the military used to teach it, but I don't have to do it their way nowWink

BTW, The way the barrel bushing and plug are contoured looks very stylish and custom, but from your report, perhaps not the most practical set up?

I have always used the "traditional" method, but am going to start doing it the way you mention, the way I had to do it to disassemble the Bruin.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
I picked up a used Bruin a while back that appeared LNIB, it was mint… EXCEPT, the plug was chewed up like yours. I discovered, as you did, how that could happen when you’re trying to reassemble the sucker. I called Dan Wesson and talked to the parts department (very nice guy) and he told me that’s a common issue. I asked about buying a new plug and he said they are available; however, you must buy it with the bushing as they are individually fitted and only come as a pair. I don’t recall the exact price, but it was well over $100.

I passed on that and decided to just polish the plug and work on assembly technique. As you said, the wrench is worthless. I ended up putting some masking tape on the end of the plug for friction and just working it with my fingers. I like rock185’s suggestion on disassembly and will give it a try on my next go-around. I actually like the polished look, kinda blends with the barrel.

Although I was pretty sure I didn't do anything "wrong" (I hate to think I "damaged" a new gun through in expertise or stupidity, I was being a little stupid later in the evening). It's rather good to know it's a common problem and it's not just me.

I've never really had the issue with any 1911 before, although I have had some very tight bushings.

Thanks also for relating the word from DW. I was going to call and ask them the same thing.

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
On a similar note, I took a look at a black Bruin my FFL had in .45ACP and there was just a very hint of a ding in the plug on that one and it's NIB.

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
"me too" movement with the Bruin. I found a bitch day one. That angle looks ballin tho!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Tooky, If anything, I think your polished plug looks better than the black plug.

BTW, Many years ago I read that turning a fitted bushing while under pressure caused more wear and tear than a whole bunch of shooting. Made sense to me. Since then, I have disassembled 1911s, fitted bushing or not, using the "armorer's grip". Some bushings still require a wrench, but will not be under spring pressure with barrel/bushing/slide locked together...

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I have been REALLY happy with my Bruin, I agree with the “plug” being a little finicky, not a biggie for me. Mine is sooooooooo accurate it is almost boring.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post