SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Stiff take down lever
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Stiff take down lever Login/Join 
Picture of lcbjr77
posted
Anybody else have a really stiff take down lever? The lever on my P320 will turn half way then its a real bear to pull down to the 6 o'clock position.

Never experienced that with any other Sig I owned

-Larry

----------------------------------
Walther PPS M2

Posts: 1863 | Location: CT | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
Mine did that too. It works in. Add a little lube to the O-ring on the takedown lever.

Posts: 820 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is real hard to turn. I have other Sigs and never had a problem with them. I went to break this P 320 down the first time when it was so hard to move I stopped and actually got the O.Manual out. I read to see if they changed something I wasn't aware of. I sure didn't want to snap off that lever.
I'm still waiting for the shipping label for the upgrade. When it goes I'm going to question the take down lever even though it's apparently how they all are. I haven't even fired mine, I figure I'll wait until I get it back from the upgrade.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine was hard to turn as well. But it worked in. After it came back from the Vol. Upgrade, it was easier.

--- Joe ---
Sig Sauer P320RX, P229, P365XL
Henry Golden Boy 22LR
Ruger 10/22 Custom Build, AR-556, Wrangler
Springfield Saint
Browning URX
Tippmann M4-22 Elite-L

Posts: 32 | Location: SE, PA USA | Registered: June 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it doesn't just unlock the barrel in the P320, it also activates safeties.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lcbjr77
posted Hide Post
I think I'm just gonna do the same...or sell it (I have two double stacks, looking to get a single stack)...maybe a PPS or S&W Shield... What to do what to do Confused Confused Confused

quote:
Originally posted by Ruger Redhawk:
Mine is real hard to turn. I have other Sigs and never had a problem with them. I went to break this P 320 down the first time when it was so hard to move I stopped and actually got the O.Manual out. I read to see if they changed something I wasn't aware of. I sure didn't want to snap off that lever.
I'm still waiting for the shipping label for the upgrade. When it goes I'm going to question the take down lever even though it's apparently how they all are. I haven't even fired mine, I figure I'll wait until I get it back from the upgrade.

Walther PPS M2

Posts: 1863 | Location: CT | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Yes, mine is hard to turn as well. It did seem to be loosening up a little the last time I tried it.

Posts: 27947 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lcbjr77
posted Hide Post
Whats is your current carry gun?

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lcbjr77:
I think I'm just gonna do the same...or sell it (I have two double stacks, looking to get a single stack)...maybe a PPS or S&W Shield... What to do what to do Confused Confused Confused

I do like the feel of it even though I haven't fired it yet but I realize that I really don't need it.

It was a anniversary gift from the wife even if I was who went and picked it out.

I have enough guns for all different occasions and don't really need this Sig P320. I had just bought 3 S&W Shields 2 during the 75.00 rebate.

I needed another 9mm like I needed another hole in my head.
My carry guns are going to continue being what I carry so this will be a range gun , which I've haven't been doing that lately being disabled. It's a no win situation for me.

My 9mm Shield I haven't fired yet but the others I have shot I liked. With the 75.00 the rebate it was hard to pass up. I hope you can decide what you want to do. With mine allot will depend after the upgrade and I fire it if I'll keep it or send it down the road many other's have gone down.

Walther PPS M2

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lcbjr77:

quote:

I do like the feel of it even though I haven't fired it yet but I realize that I really don't need it.

It was a anniversary gift from the wife even if I was who went and picked it out.

I have enough guns for all different occasions and don't really need this Sig P320. I had just bought 3 S&W Shields 2 during the 75.00 rebate.

I needed another 9mm like I needed another hole in my head.
My carry guns are going to continue being what I carry so this will be a range gun , which I've haven't been doing that lately being disabled. It's a no win situation for me.

My 9mm Shield I haven't fired yet but the others I have shot I liked. With the 75.00 the rebate it was hard to pass up. I hope you can decide what you want to do. With mine allot will depend after the upgrade and I fire it if I'll keep it or send it down the road many other's have gone down.

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
My used P-320 is fine but the new P-320RX I just got is crazy tight. If I don't get it all the way it snaps back into original position. I guess lube and work it in. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a P938 in a Talon IWB, Then I have either my P238 or Ruger LCP in my Talon wallet holsters.
Now that it's getting cooler I keep the LCP in a denim concealment vest.
For the last year it's pretty safe to say where ever I go I have 2 guns on me. I know being disabled I'm a prime target and I'm more than willing to oblige the bad guy if they choose to be.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
My used P-320 is fine but the new P-320RX I just got is crazy tight. If I don't get it all the way it snaps back into original position. I guess lube and work it in. Chris

I found that too! A couple times I started to turn it when it didn't go all the way it snapped back. Once you start keep going until it's in the full take down position.

Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
There are two fixes to the takedown lever problem, both of which have been discussed in several older threads.

If your takedown lever is flat, the problem is more common. One possible solution is to take the O-ring off and find the next smaller size at your local hardware store (ACE, Lowe's, etc.). Lube the new O-ring, install it on the takedown lever, lube the entire lever, and install it.

The newer takedown levers aren't completely flat, but have a little shelf that gives a bit more leverage for turning. They also have a tiny bit smaller diameter and usually fit and rotate a little better. A newer P320 pistol might end up with an older takedown lever, so if it's really tight call Sig CS and ask for a newer style.

You may have success by wiggling the recoil spring assembly while rotating the lever. That moves the recoil guide rod up a little to give the lever a bit more room to rotate.

Several people at Sig have told me that the issue exists because making rotation easy would result in a loose fit and excessive wear in that area.

If you don't want to try a new style lever, I've used a magazine base to rotate the lever and that's pretty easy.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Two of my three P320 pistols (Gen 1 and Gen 2) had tight take down lever syndrome. My solution was to lightly scuff the circumference (removing some Nitron finish) with a 3M Scotchpad, then lube it. I did not permanently remove or change the O-ring for a smaller OD size. They worked smoothly after that.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
There are two fixes to the takedown lever problem, both of which have been discussed in several older threads.

If your takedown lever is flat, the problem is more common. One possible solution is to take the O-ring off and find the next smaller size at your local hardware store (ACE, Lowe's, etc.). Lube the new O-ring, install it on the takedown lever, lube the entire lever, and install it.

The newer takedown levers aren't completely flat, but have a little shelf that gives a bit more leverage for turning. They also have a tiny bit smaller diameter and usually fit and rotate a little better. A newer P320 pistol might end up with an older takedown lever, so if it's really tight call Sig CS and ask for a newer style.

You may have success by wiggling the recoil spring assembly while rotating the lever. That moves the recoil guide rod up a little to give the lever a bit more room to rotate.

Several people at Sig have told me that the issue exists because making rotation easy would result in a loose fit and excessive wear in that area.

If you don't want to try a new style lever, I've used a magazine base to rotate the lever and that's pretty easy.

Thanks I'll have to check it out. To be honest I don't know which one I have. I'm not very familiar with the different Sig variations. I'm a old Ruger man.
Mine is the P320C 9mm. I want to say it's birthday date was around the middle of July this year.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My original (old style, original equipment, ridged) TDL was stiff, but workable with the right amount of leverage. The new style (flat) TDL is much easier to manipulate. And easier still after a few thousand rounds. Still in no danger of slipping off by itself, though.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
A newer P320 pistol might end up with an older takedown lever, so if it's really tight call Sig CS and ask for a newer style.

Per SIG CS, they are only selling the new style takedown lever. (3rd generation IIRC.) There was a shortage of replacement TDLs, but mine just shipped 2 weeks after ordering it.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Take down lever works easier after the upgrade and a lot easier when I remember to drop the magazine.

Posts: 207 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Forty Cal
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have any pictures of the new gen 3 takedown lever?

Posts: 1301 | Location: The Golden State--CA | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have an early P320 (spring 2014) with the older wide TD lever. I changed it to the newer flat style. It is a bear to flip to the open position, but I am not sure if it is the lever or the lack of purchase on the flatter style.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post