SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    10mm V-Crown on Wild Hogs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10mm V-Crown on Wild Hogs Login/Join 
Picture of HayesGreener
posted
I have killed about a 15 wild hogs in traps over the past 2 months, using my P220-10 with their 180 gr V-Crown ammo. Range is 7-12 yards. We recovered a few of the slugs during butchering. The slug on the left penetrated the skull of the hog and the jacket stayed attached. The slug on the right was a heart/lung shot that passed through the hog and was embedded just under the hide on the opposite side. The jacket completely separated on that one. The hogs drop like a stone from the 10mm. I have also killed a number of them with 45ACP V-Crown but don't have any of those slugs to compare. I am going to try the ball ammo next to see what results I get.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
keep us in the loop.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

Have you used hard cast lead and if so, how have your results compared?

I carry v-crown in .357 Sig.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Interesting.

Have you used hard cast lead and if so, how have your results compared?

I carry v-crown in .357 Sig.

I have only used hollow point carry ammo up until now because I want to see how it performs.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, as a self defense load on a scale of 1-10, it looks to be "a 10" for the big 10!

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:

I have only used hollow point carry ammo up until now because I want to see how it performs.

Looks like it performs pretty well. You're getting full penetration and clean kills. Hard cast, by comparison, would have gone all the way through. A good semi-wadcutter with a sharp shoulder should run quite deep.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
if you've got a 357sig could you try that sometime maybe?

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Seems like a great idea for a sig shoot!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:

Yes, if you had a .357Sig pistol, it would be great to compare the effects.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Do I have to get a 10mm now? Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Everyone should have at least one 10mm, the same as everyone should have at least one SIG!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
Everyone should have at least one 10mm, the same as everyone should have at least one SIG!

Get the P220-10mm and you have both covered with one gun. Mine is the most accurate gun I own. It handles full power Underwood ammo extremely well. A real pleasure to shoot.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
quote:

I'll see if we can round one up for the next batch we trap.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
quote:

I'll see if we can round one up for the next batch we trap.

Greatly appreciated.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
10mm with the correct ammo is the real deal. Underwood makes quite a few option form 135 for 2 legged varmints trough 220 gr. that would puncture a bear's skull.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1529 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
10mm with the correct ammo is the real deal. Underwood makes quite a few option form 135 for 2 legged varmints trough 220 gr. that would puncture a bear's skull.

Underwood also offers a variety of bullet types for their rounds. For example, in 10mm 180gr, you can get FMJ, Nosler, XTP, or Gold Dot bullets, all with similar ballistics.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the post

always great to see the 'real' terminal results of ammo

--------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
That was awsome HG. If you ever take one out with a hardcase, I'd lub to see that !

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was attacked by a 90 pound Rottweiler when I was a cop, one Speer Gold Dot 125 grain HP from a Sig P226 in 357 SIG will go from front to back and completely do exactly what you want the round to do.!

The bullet was not recovered as it went thru the animal from the left chest and exited the right buttock (do dogs have butts?)

I have personally shot around 50 deer with the P226 in 357SIG at work for car wrecks and the Speer GD works. Mind you, many of these deer were shot int he head to put them out of their misery, from a distance of ten feet or so-but they work.

I imagine a hard cast flat point bullet in 357 SIG would really penetrate on a hog too.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post