SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    DA/SA pistols done?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DA/SA pistols done? Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone else heard this stuff about the traditional DA/SA hammer fired pistols being done? I had and thought that it was horsesh*t until I talked to a buddy of mine who is an LEO and armorer for a fairly large city and he said the future was striker fired polymer pistols, 1911s and some niche stuff. Maybe I'll check out the 320. Have to sell some Sigs to do it.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:Have to sell some Sigs to do it.

Better hurry, as they will soon be worth nothing!

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of them is a German 228 with the original case. I'm not worried.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GP229:
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:Have to sell some Sigs to do it.

Better hurry, as they will soon be worth nothing!

I agree. Sell! Sell! Sell!

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
One of them is a German 228 with the original case. I'm not worried.

Haven't you heard the 228 isn't worth anything? Infact 12131 gives them away! Razz Razz Razz

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I can wait.

posted Hide Post
Well, I wouldn't take the word of just one person, even if they are in a respectable position or in the industry. No offense to either you or your friend, of course.

And in reality he may well be right in the sense that the future is indeed striker fired polymer pistols. However, a brief glance back in history shows that we're still shooting revolvers now...so if someone alive in the year 1911 or so in the USA said that revolvers were done and the future was singe-action semi-autos...

Buy and shoot what you like. Have good, articulable, well-thought reasons for your decisions, and have fun!

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
It's unfortunate the folks at Sarsilmaz did not consult with your LE/armorer friend. They would have save a lot of time and money. It may be more of a manufacturing consideration for a paricular platform ( Glock v. CZ). We will see when the French SP2022 contract runs out if SIG can sell them on the P320 or if they go with a European (hammer-fired) source.

CM9 gen 2 by Sarsilmaz
https://youtu.be/5_pSgsI1bPg

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I don't think that DA/SA are "done", but it's about 20 years too late to say that the "future" is striker fired polymer. The stats are probably out there, but my wild guess would be about 90% of the market being polymer striker fired pistols. Probably has been that way or close to it for 10 years.

Anybody have actual numbers?

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I don't think that DA/SA are "done", but it's about 20 years too late to say that the "future" is striker fired polymer. The stats are probably out there, but my wild guess would be about 90% of the market being polymer striker fired pistols. Probably has been that way or close to it for 10 years.

Anybody have actual numbers?

If we are talking matches it's usually 5-10% shooting DA/SA. I usually 1-5 of of the field shooting an DA/SA. Usually 1-2 CZ, SIG or 92's shooting. I like shooting what I'd carry, so I'm fine being called a dinosaur.

Not "actual" numbers, but good enough for my back of the napkin math.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Strictly from my perspective as a consumer in middle America who has been enjoying the shooting sports since the late 1990s I can say that other shooters have been making this claim for two decades but companies keep making, and selling, metal framed DA/SA pistols and introducing new models, too.

That said, Smith & Wesson isn't even making hammer fired metal framed semi-auto pistols any longer and other companies seem to be following suit. Ruger has moved to striker-fired plastic-fantastics while Beretta and CZ have both introduced models following this same pattern.

Does this mean traditional DA/SA pistols will vanish from manufacturer catalogs? Nope, companies will 'make a seat for every butt'. Plus, most fads are circular and eventually will come around back to DA/SA pistols like the eventual re-re-introduction of bell-bottom jeans and denim jackets. In fact, some YouTube firearms channels are already singing the praise of hammer fired pistols for safe concealed carry to protect against the 'Glock Leg Syndrome'.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrewR:
In fact, some YouTube firearms channels are already singing the praise of hammer fired pistols for safe concealed carry to protect against the 'Glock Leg Syndrome'.

One of the primary reasons I carry a P226 DA/SA.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
Has anyone else heard this stuff about the traditional DA/SA hammer fired pistols being done?
Certainly it's true. Along with other handgun related things that are "done" because they're not common in LE, like revolvers, 10mm, .38 Super, etc, etc. The .40 S&W is sure to follow.
Razz

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FLwolverine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have good, articulable, well-thought reasons for your decisions.....

I only believe what I read on Facebook!

Wait.............I'm not on Facebook.
Nevermind. Razz Big Grin Cool

-gary

Sig P226 9mm TACOPS
Sig P229 .40 ESE
Sig P320 .40 SC
Sig M400 300BLK
Ghost Firearms GR-15 5.56
Kahr CW9 9mm

Posts: 6 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: June 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
A reasonably good quality polymer striker fired gun can be made for much less money than a metal framed one. They are normally lighter too.

Quality metal guns will hold their value better and will be much more expensive to manufacture. Metal vs plastic is the key to price more than striker vs SA/DA. Kahr is an example of a company that makes both plastic and metal in striker fired. The MSRP reflects the difference.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yeah.......no.

The DA/SA is far from done. Looking at the numbers of SIG Legions that I know have been sold, I know the DA/SA is alive and kicking.

Is the DA/SA dead in LE? Yep, sure is. Is it dead because the striker guns are better? Yep, they are better. They are better at pacifying administrators with a bunch of retards that do not want to go to the range. If you are going to suck, you will suck less with a striker fired gun. The length of pull is less so it gives the retard less time to fuck up the shot when they stare at the target, snatch the trigger to the rear, all the while pushing the gun downward, and then blaming the low left hit on their sights being off.

Couple that with a generation of firearms instructors that know nothing about how to teach a DA/SA gun (or revolvers for that matter) and it is a perfect storm.

All of that is fine by me. There are only a couple of places you can go to learn how to effectively run a DA/SA pistol and I am one of them.

The arguments against the DA/SA always boil down to "I can't do it, so it can't be done".

Edited to fix a screw up! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jljones,

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrewR:
Strictly from my perspective as a consumer in middle America who has been enjoying the shooting sports since the late 1990s I can say that other shooters have been making this claim for two decades but companies keep making, and selling, metal framed DA/SA pistols and introducing new models, too.

That said, Smith & Wesson isn't even making hammer fired metal framed semi-auto pistols any longer and other companies seem to be following suit. Ruger has moved to striker-fired plastic-fantastics while Beretta and CZ have both introduced models following this same pattern.

Does this mean traditional DA/SA pistols will vanish from manufacturer catalogs? Nope, companies will 'make a seat for every butt'. Plus, most fads are circular and eventually will come around back to DA/SA pistols like the eventual re-re-introduction of bell-bottom jeans and denim jackets. In fact, some YouTube firearms channels are already singing the praise of hammer fired pistols for safe concealed carry to protect against the 'Glock Leg Syndrome'.

This sums up my thoughts also.

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Yeah.......no.

The DA/SA is far from done. Looking at the numbers of SIG Legions that I have been sold, I know the DA/SA is alive and kicking.

Is the DA/SA dead in LE? Yep, sure is. Is it dead because the striker guns are better? Yep, they are better. They are better at pacifying administrators with a bunch of retards that do not want to go to the range. If you are going to suck, you will suck less with a striker fired gun. The length of pull is less so it gives the retard less time to fuck up the shot when they stare at the target, snatch the trigger to the rear, all the while pushing the gun downward, and then blaming the low left hit on their sights being off.

Couple that with a generation of firearms instructors that know nothing about how to teach a DA/SA gun (or revolvers for that matter) and it is a perfect storm.

All of that is fine by me. There are only a couple of places you can go to learn how to effectively run a DA/SA pistol and I am one of them.

The arguments against the DA/SA always boil down to "I can't do it, so it can't be done".

AMEN.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Looking at the numbers of SIG Legions that I have been sold, I know the DA/SA is alive and kicking.

Um. Where do you keep them all? Eek Wink

LOL. Should have read "number of SIG Legions that I know have been sold". Sorry!!!!!!! Corrected in post!

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. Done, like the revolver and the 1911.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post