SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Mitch Rosen's Leather Lightning™: Darned If It Doesn't Work!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mitch Rosen's Leather Lightning™: Darned If It Doesn't Work! Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Several months ago I bought a full-size 1911. Bought a leather holster for it, and a mag carrier. I usually carry something a bit smaller, and more easily-concealed, so the holster hasn't yet been broken-in well.

A few weeks ago, well before the current craziness, I thought to remedy that situation. Problem I was having was draw was exceedingly difficult after the pistol had been holstered for more than a few minutes.

Tried the plastic bag trick. It relieved the problem somewhat, but it got to a certain point and no better. Off to the Internet I went in search of other ideas. I discovered Mitch Rosen's Leather Lightning™. Ordered a bottle.

Today I applied it to the inside of the balky holster. Darned if, after a couple dozen practice draws, it hasn't done the trick! Retention is still great, but the pistol now draws from the holster as if I'd been using it for years.

Two thumbs up for Mitch Rosen's Leather Lightning™ from me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Great news.

Very glad you found a solution and thank you for sharing it Smile

Been carrying my CZ75BD in a new holster, which of course, isn't yet broken in.

Should things not improve, this will certainly be a consideration.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Do you think it would help with front serrations shaving leather? I have a pretty nice leather holster for my Springfield Loaded, but the inside is suede, and the front serrations get all nasty from shaving leather particles from the inside of the holster. Even the matte stainless on the top strap acts like sandpaper and collects particles. Something that would kind of coat or bed the inside of the holster to smooth it out would be just the trick, I think...

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
Great news.

Very glad you found a solution and thank you for sharing it Smile

You're welcome Smile

quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
Been carrying my CZ75BD in a new holster, which of course, isn't yet broken in.

Should things not improve, this will certainly be a consideration.

Were it not for the verdomme bug runnin' around, I'd have you stop on by and I'd treat your holster for you. It doesn't take but the tiniest amount. This little bottle I have will probably last me a lifetime.

Truth be told, though, this worked so well on my newest holster I feel confident in recommending it without qualification. For the $14 it costs, shipped, I think it's well worth it. Don't know about now, but, when I ordered mine a couple weeks back I had it in just a couple, three days.

quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Do you think it would help with front serrations shaving leather? I have a pretty nice leather holster for my Springfield Loaded, but the inside is suede, ...

I honestly don't know. Probably need to contact Mitch Rosen to get an answer to that one.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love his holsters. I’m hoping he’s still taking orders because I need another 5JR from him.

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I used Mitch’s Leather Lightning to break in two very tight custom holsters (one is a Rosen 5JR) Worked great, and didn’t over-stretch the holsters, as the baggie method can do.

I ordered two 1/2 oz bottles, figuring to use one bottle per holster. But after breaking in both holsters, the first bottle still wasn’t empty. A little goes a long way.

I applied the LL, several times, to the front end of the pistol, and the front of the trigger guard.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
The stuff works. I've still got about half a bottle left after using it to break in several holsters. Put it on and work the gun in and out of the holster for a bit and that tight new holster will be good to go.

My TRP was shaving the crap out of a Milt Sparks holster. Applied the Leather Lightning. Happily it didn't identify it's natural enemy in Milt Sparks and instead slicked up the draw nicely and the leather shaving quickly went away. I can't say whether it had anything to do with the shaving, but it DEFINATELY sped up the process of breaking the holster in to that perfect tight fit while allowing a quick clean draw.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can buy a huge bottle for $12 bucks. "Leather CPR"

https://cprcleaningproducts.com/

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post